Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Question about rifle kit >

Question about rifle kit

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question about rifle kit

Old 01-04-2002, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about rifle kit

I just got my Lyman GPR kit today and spent a bit of time reading the instructions. It mentions bluing or browning the barrel. Is this something I could do myself or should I take the parts to a smith to have this done? What's involved with doing this? I think I would prefer a brown look.
Old 01-04-2002, 05:47 PM

Default RE: Question about rifle kit

I put a kit together once,I went to my gunsmith and he gave me a little bottle of blueing.it turned the metal a kind of black color.
you have to treat the metal with this and then oil very well because it will put a thin layer of rust till you oil it.
sorry I don't remember the name of the liquid.ask your gunsmith.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-04-2002, 06:19 PM

Briman, if you want a brown finish, get some Laurel Mountain Forge, barrel brown and degreaser. Dixie sells it I think, if you cant find it there try log cabin shop. Its easy to use and comes with complete instructions.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:27 PM

briman:there are many browning kits for m/l barrels the most important in this step is to degrease the barrel.apply heat with a torch slowely just to heat,not to get it red.and swap the browning chemical on.then if i remember you steel wool it with 0000 steel wool another thing the steel wool has to cotain no oils.good luck
Old 01-05-2002, 12:00 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-05-2002, 07:09 AM

The Laurel Mtn. brown doesnt require degreasing or any type of heat, you just swab it on and wait for it to work and card it off with a wet cloth and swab on another coat and repeat until you get the finish you want. Its the easiest I have seen. It can be sort of slow in low humidity, but unless you are in a hurry its real easy to use. Like coondog says, the reward is the finish. Ive used both and dont think I will go back to the ones that require heat. Its so much easier to cold brown and you can get a completely uniform finish without streaks or light spots. Just takes longer. I have browned a barrel in just one day with Laurel Mtn, when the temp and humidity was high though. Whatever you use, make double sure you dont get any of it in your bore.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:25 AM

something else you can do with Laurel Mtn is make a matte black finish. Right before you stop the browning with a soda solution, you just boil the parts and they will turn as black as the bottom of a skillet at midnight! I put a finish like that on a Rem 870 shotgun for a turkey hunter and its held up real good for four years now.