Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Black Diamond vs. Optima >

Black Diamond vs. Optima

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Diamond vs. Optima

Old 02-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Spike

Default Black Diamond vs. Optima

Hi guys,

I've got a question. I'm in the market for a new muzzleloader. And I've seen the T/C Black diamond on sale at Cabelas for 200. And then the other choice is the CVA Optima. I currently own a CVA Eclipse 209x50. I like the Eclipse, even though it took me a while to settle some accuracy issues. I just feel like i'm ready for an upgrade.

Obviously w/ the Black diamond I'm getting the T/C name and all that goes with it. And with the Optima i'm getting a break action design, which sounds much easier to clean and operate. Although I've heard some people are having issues w/ a fixed hard trigger w/ the Optima. I'm just looking for any opinions out there as to which gun might be the best fit.

Thanks,

GaHunter19
Old 02-19-2004, 08:57 PM

Default RE: Black Diamond vs. Optima

Hey there,

I am also looking at the CVA optima. I havn't reserched it much yet, but I am really close to buying that optima. When you said you finally setteled the accuracy issues? Can you explain them... I'm having some with my Remington 700. I can't settle 240 Gr TC sabots.

Thanks,
David
Old 02-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure on the optima but the t/c blackdiamond isnt hard to clean, at least its not a problem for me.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I have the Black Diamond XR and it is not bad to clean at all. As for quality, well this rifle is a shooter no doubt. I was shooting it today in a snowstorm with musket caps to see if it would fail. Not only did the rifle preform flawless, but the groups I shot out of it today would have made most modern rifles proud. I was shooting 250 grain T/C Shockwaves. The first shot took the X out of the 10 ring. The second shot I could not find until I looked on the back of the cardboard box and saw that the bullseye had two holes in it. The third shot finished the nob in the X. I could not ask for better then that shooting off a set of shooting sticks in the middle of a snow storm. I do have a 1.5 X 4.5 Bushness Scope on it. It really has been shooting almost everything I put down it. I was also shooting 320 grain LEE R.E.A.L. conicals and they were all hitting right where I aimed. This is a great rifle... Although I have a Staghorn which is also a fantastic shooter....
Old 02-20-2004, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

The B. Diamond is longer & has more product quality & better resale value

The Optima is ultra modern, much easier to load/clean than the Eclipse

It all depends what your striving to do. If it's just accuracy you want, keep what you got. If you want longer or more modern... then buy either one you're looking at. There's not a big difference there... it's more cosmetic than anything else.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:57 AM

I THINK BASS PRO SHOP HAD THEM ON SALE FOR $189.00 CAMO @ STAINLESS
Old 02-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

First off i have no experiance with the black diamond, im sure its a great gun. I do own the cva optima 26" barrel. My opinions on it are: the trigger pull is the biggest drawback, very stiff. Personnally i have gotten used to it becasue i like the gun so well. It would be understandable if someone could not get over it but for some reason i just did. The gun is quite accurate, good groups to 150 yards. I personnally love the break action design and will always stick with that even if i get another ML in the distant future. I know the black diamond xr is a bit more expensive than the optima i dont know about the regular black diamond. For the money and even for more money the optima is a very good gun. good luck with your choice.