Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Problem with Thomson center >

Problem with Thomson center

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Problem with Thomson center

Old 02-13-2004, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Problem with Thomson center

Hi guys,

A friend of mine has a Thompson center Renegade that has some cleaning items stuck down the barrel. He is not sure if the breech plug is removable or what may be the best method to clear this out. It is also quite possible that there may be a load still in the barrel, it is unknown.

I shoot a Knight and just unscrew the breech plug, but I'm not familiar with this rifle. Any ideas??

Thanks,
Cybersniper
Old 02-13-2004, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Problem with Thomson center

Sorry cybersniper

We would have to know EXACTLY what is lodged in the barrel to help remove it. We have no lights or tools at our disposal here.

I suggest your friend soak the bore with water -- close the hammer onto a tire valve cap over the nipple -- encase the rifle and take it to a gunsmith. Don't take any chances... especially metal to metal screw-in if powder & bullet may be present. Better safe than sorry.. it won't cost much to have the clog removed.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

It appears to be a cleaning jag and some patches.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Is the breech plug removable?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO, it is not. I own a Renagade. He is going to have to try and get it out the front
Old 02-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Dominant Buck

If there is a possibility of a load being in the rifle he has a couple of choices. He can soak the barrel with water to kill the charge, and then take it to a gunsmith.

The other thing he might want to try is a Co2 charge remover. Many times that might be able to blow the thing out of the barrel and the charge if there is one. I would still water the barrel and make sure the charge is killed before I use the Co2 remover.

The other thing I have heard of people doing is rigging a nipple to a air compressor and then with a lot of air pressure built up, blow the barrel clean that way. Again, if it might be loaded water the charge. Never take a chance with a charge in the barrel. It does not take much to set them off and in his case it would be in a dangerous situation....
Old 02-13-2004, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

After making sure there is no charge or that the charge has been soaked to de activate the powder I would try the Co2 discharger . If this doesnt work pour some "Liquid Draino" down the barrel and leave it set for a couple of hours. This should dissolve the cleaning cloth and you should be able to tap the muzzle on a table and the jag should fall out. The draino won't hurt the steel, but it will eat up any thing organic like skin, wood and varnish. Be extremely carefull you dont get it in your eyes. I would not try the Co2 after I put draino down as if it blows free it could spray in your eyes.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help guys, I'll pass it on.

Cyber
Old 02-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Co2 discharger is for unloading your muzzleloader without having to fire your gun and dirty the barrel at the end of the day. I don't think most people who use one soak the breach in water before using it.
I have not used one, but I heard it is very effective, and it makes a distinctive "bloop" when it spits the dry charge and ball out of the barrel. As in 100% of the time, I would make sure the barrel is pointed in a safe direction (preferably a backstop) when using it.

C. Davis
Old 02-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Spike

We have a TC Renegade and a Hawken. TC made special fittings to fit over the breach plug and remove them. It takes a pretty good wrench on some of them, but they are made to fit and do not damage to the plug. Have used them on both my Renegade and a couple of Hawkens. I am not sure if this item is still available, but they were back in the days I got mine.

Quick Reply: Problem with Thomson center

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.