HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Problem with Thomson center (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/52914-problem-thomson-center.html)

Ruger-Redhawk 02-15-2004 08:15 AM

RE: Problem with Thomson center

ORIGINAL: vERN

. TC made special fittings to fit over the breach plug and remove them. It takes a pretty good wrench on some of them, but they are made to fit and do not damage to the plug. . I am not sure if this item is still available, but they were back in the days I got mine.

Vern, I know the tool you're talking about. I haven't seen them in sometime . I went to T/C's site and don't see it listed there.I went to a 2004 Midsouth catalog and none are listed there either. Apparently T/C has dropped them. They do work well. I have one that we pulled the breech plug out of a Custom T/C Hawkens .It sure made the job easier.

My suggestion would be for Cybersniper's friend to contact T/C and see what they suggest doing. T/C has a lifetime warranty.He sure wouldn't want to ship it if there's any possibility of a loaded round in it.
Ruger Redhawk

45Hawken 02-16-2004 06:17 PM

This is only a suggestion. use a ramrod tosee if you can determine if there is a charge in the rifle. Measure how far the ramrod goes down the bore, then place the ramrod on the outside of the barrel to give you an idea if it is reaching close to the bottom or if there is a charge on top. If you haven't killed the charge yet, why not shoot it out? Sure you have to buy a new jag, but that is cheaper than sending a rifle to the gunsmith. If there is no charge you can also shoot the jag out. I have stuck a jag before while cleaning. I removed the nipple and worked a small amount of powder into the flash channel with a nipple pick, then replaced the nipple and shot the jag out. The very small amount of powder won't always get it out first try. If it doesnt come out you must reseat the jag at the bottom of the barrel before you try again. This procedure must be done with extreme caution.[:o][:o]

Tomster 02-18-2004 09:05 AM

I'm assuming that the cleaning jig and a cloth are both stuck in the barrell.

Bringing it to a gun smith is one option. Another assumption is that when he was cleaning, the cleaning cloth and jig got stuck and he unscrewed the rod from the jig.

I would try rescrewing the rod back onto the jig by lining them up. I would try a small flash light and see if you can straighten the cleaning jig. I would also try using the patch removal jig which has 2 small wires and see if you can straighten out the jig. Once the jig is back on the rod, you can remove the jig by adding cold water or extra oil to lube the jig and cloth. Or use a bench vise and tighten it on the rod and pull.

Good luck either way...

Tom

cayugad 02-18-2004 09:10 AM

I never knew that they had a tool to pull the breech plug out of the Renegade or the Hawkins. I am sure this was meant to be used in cases of emergency and not normal cleaning. That is interesting.

Triple Se7en 02-18-2004 09:17 AM

That plug removal thing with T/C Renegades...

...can anyone confirm a passage of that in their original Renegade instruction manual given them at the time of purchase??

I'd like to hear/read it from the horse's mouth... T/C themselves!!

Charley 02-18-2004 02:51 PM

Yes, T/C sold a breech plug wrench that fit the T/C Hawken and Renegade breech plug. It is a gold plated SOB to get one out, but it can be done. The rifle is not designed to have the breechplug pulled on a casual basis, like for cleaning. I have one around the shop somewhere, unless it was loaned out and never returned.

Triple Se7en 02-18-2004 03:42 PM

Hey Charlie... thanks for the manual news.

I've had my eye on a New 58 cal T/C Renegade for six months now. The only T/C distributor that has them is Foxridge.

It may sway me to get one of those big bore Renegades this spring if that sidelock still has a removable plug. Fox wants $399 for it. It's exactly like the Hawkens except the barrel is 2" shorter & there's no brass on it. Everything else is the same.... wood, locks, double-set trigger & all.

1950KID 02-18-2004 04:32 PM

Buy an old Renegade. Sell the barrel on Ebay. Buy a 58 caliber roundball drop in Green Mountain barrel from Track of the Wolf for $169. You won't have $250 in the whole thing, and you will have a great new barrel. Just a thought.