Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Foul that barrel?

Old 01-28-2004, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Foul that barrel?

I read an article that suggested 'fouled' barrels have superior accuracy than clean ones. The author said his first shot from a clean barrel would be anywhere in a 12" circle at 100 yards, while 'fouled', the same gun shot 1" groups from the get-go. It wasn't clear from the article (well, maybe it was to an experienced black powder shooter, but I'm new) what kind of powder he was using. It read like loose.

I guess I have two questions. First, do you guys concur? I know some suggest popping a cap or primer before loading. Second, if it is true for loose powder, does the same issue apply to Pyrodex pellets?
Old 01-28-2004, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Foul that barrel?

I have never used pellets, so I can only speak to loose powder. When I clean and store my gun I run a couple of patches with "bore butter" down the barrel, leaving a film of grease. When I go to load it, I pour about 10-15 grains down the barrel and pop a cap. This should burn/remove the grease. I then run a couple of clean patches through the barrel before I load it.

I am not sure if just popping a few caps off will burn up all the lube in the barrel, it might.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Some rifles for unknown reasons to me, do shoot better when they are fowled. I am suspecting that I might actually own one of these rifles. It is a CVA Staghorn. Of the seven black powder rifles I have, this one rifle for some reason will throw the first shot a inch or so off to one side (usually the left). After that it will put all the rest into the bullseye.

I am testing it with different charges and seeing if maybe it has more to do with the projectile. Time will tell. Until then I will keep shoot the rifle the way it is. I do not run a film of bore butter down my barrel. I believe to start out with a clean, oil and grease free barrel. To me that is the only way to go. Others feel different and thats fine. It is their rifle. If this rifle is one that demands a fowled barrel then I will use 10 grains of FFFg down it since I feel it is a cleaner burning power the the FFg.

In fact because of this question, I think I will test this rifle with a fowling shot the next time I shoot. Thanks for bringing this to mind...
Old 01-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I've never bothered with a fouling shot , never had to .
Old 01-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad:
Are you saying that after cleaning the rifle and putting it in storage for awhile, you don't swab the bore with anything? I have always heard you should do that. Maybe with the newer powders, which are less fouling, don't require it. Anyway, I have always done that. Just have to be sure that you burn it out before loading and firing again.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Dominant Buck

txhunter58 when I am going to store the rifle I run a patch of Birchwood Casey Sheath down the barrel. Before I shoot it the next time, I run a patch of denatured alcohol through the barrel and then two dry ones and it is ready to shoot without fowling. It does look like the Staghorn might like a fowled barrel.

I have some real concerns over the use of bore butter. I do use bore butter on my conicals. (Although I made some homemade conical lube that is working out really good) I do not use bore butter to protect my rifle during storage from rusting. I really believe that bore butter is not intended to prevent rusting. Granted it might inhibit rust, as in slow the process down, but it will not prevent it. A lot of people believe the continued use of bore butter will season their bore. Well I do not want my bore seasoned. I want it clean. As I said, those that use bore butter to protect their rifles during storage is fine, because they are not my rifles....
Old 01-28-2004, 04:24 PM

I know some fellas that have front stuffers that work better with a fouling shot, but neither one of mine do. In fact, the cleaner the barrel, the better they shoot. One is a CVA hunterbolt inline and the other is a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in flintlock. Both are 50 caliber; roundball for the GPR and Powerbelts for the inline.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:48 PM

Your guess is as good as any. Some rifles, not any of mine, do shoot better after a slight fouling. I believe that this is because of bore size issues. A friend of mine shoots 10 grains of powder before he loads to go hunting. Even when were at the range he does it. I pour my own maxi hunters and we both shoot bullets from the same box on the bench. He can't hit center on his first shot to save his life if he doesn't foul his barrel yet none of mine have any trouble, even if he is shooting the gun. Maybe his bore is just a tad bit larger than the normal, or he needs a Thompson Center. LOL If any of you shooters come up with an answer I'll pass it along.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cay:

What is a Birchwood casey sheath? Some kind of oil containing patch? And what is denatured alcohol? Buy it at the grocery or gun store? Thanks
Old 01-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Dominant Buck

The Birchwood Casey products are a petroleum distillate product. I use the Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber to clean the lead, plastic, lube residue, and copper deposits out of the barrel when I shoot conicals or sabots, during the final cleaning process. I use a brass brush and the Scrubber and scrub the barrel as clean as possible. Then I run a few patches of the bore scrubber through it.

The barrel is really clean at this point. I then run the Sheath on a patch through the barrel to protect it from rusting. After the Sheath is put inside the barrel the substance makes a film almost that protects the barrel from rust and moisture. If you drop a bore light down a sidelock at this point or look through an inline you will see an almost mirror like appearance, they are so clean.

The denatured alcohol I buy at a hardware store in the paint department. I use it straight to take any Sheath out of the barrel. It will also make sure there is no moisture in the barrel. I have a second container of 50/50 denatured alcohol and windshield washer fluid I use as a bore swab for in between shot cleanings... After you run a wet patch down, turn that patch over and run it through that way, two dry patches are run and the barrel is not actually clean but the majorityof fowling is removed.

Quick Reply: Foul that barrel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.