HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Pyrodex Pistol Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/50738-pyrodex-pistol-powder.html)

cayugad 01-25-2004 09:08 PM

Pyrodex Pistol Powder

A friend called and asked if I wanted to shoot today so of course I said yes. I decided that the Pyrodex P I had was four years old and needed to be shot off. I did not feel like shooting the BP revolver so I took my Tradition's Woodmans Hawkins .50 caliber with iron sights to his house. It has a 1-66 twist. I took some Buffalo Bullet brand .490 roundball, moose milk, patch strips, and my shooting sticks over to his house. I had never shot the Pyrodex P out of this rifle so I was unsure how it would do.

At his place were coffee can lids from the 2 lb some ounce cans that you open with a can opener. They were spray painted black, and screwed to 1x2's and put out in the snow about 100 yards away. We sat down in lawn chairs and got our shooting sticks all set up.

I was shooting 70 grains of Pyrodex P and just a patch and ball. I never even brought swabbing material (too cold anyway :D ) This rifle performed flawless with this powder. I think I will shoot Pyrodex P in this gun all the time. It always did like black powder, so maybe the Pyrodex P and black powder share some common traits when it burns. If you have never tried your rifle with the stuff and get a chance, give it a try....:D

FlDeerman 01-25-2004 09:25 PM

RE: Pyrodex Pistol Powder

Good answer.I was told to use 20grns less than Pyrodex RS and it would be as safe.It's the only thing I use.Shoots cleaner than the RS.

cayugad 01-25-2004 11:09 PM

That would be an actual strong load then for any type of shooting with a 70 grain charge. I will have to remember that because I have a couple pounds of the pistol powder. Thanks...

tm 01-26-2004 11:42 AM

P is a finer grained powder than RS so is roughly 10% more oomph when measured. I like it too, seems to burn better and leave less residue.

eldeguello 01-27-2004 07:47 AM

I like it too in rifles, and cut my RS charges by 10% when using "P".:D

Mark whiz 01-27-2004 04:08 PM

I've even found that the 3fg cut of 777 works well in rifles too. And you don't really have to cut the powder load with it either, since both cuts of 777 are very fine - not much difference except that the 3fg seems a tad more consistent.
But ............. it seems to work best with heavier sabots - bullets 300gr or less or ANY PowerBelt shoot better with the 2fg out of my Knight.

FlDeerman 01-27-2004 09:02 PM

I shoot seventy grains if I use conical's,sixty with patch and ball.