HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   maxi hunters... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/48224-maxi-hunters.html)

mauser06 01-04-2004 10:16 AM

maxi hunters...

i was thinking of changing my bullet....i shot a TC 50 cal hawken....1:48 twist...i shot powerbelts now.....295gr hp copperplated ones....it shots them ok...maybe 4 inches at 50yards......i dont really want to use rd balls even though it shot them good....i want something that will do a little more....and are cheaper then the powerbelts and easier to load....believe me or not i am complaining about powerbelts being hard to load...sure i can start them with my finger....but i cant get a second one down a fouled bore for the life of me......and i was only shooting 80grs of powder...i moved up to 90 since then it seemed to shot better but it took about 5 mins to seat the second powerbelt when i tried........not exzactly a good hunting bullet for me i dont think.....so i was thinking of a maxihunter or something.....cheaper....would probally go in a heck of alot easier....but how do they perform on deer? im looking for something that will hit them like a brick and not let them get to far and leave good blood.....i know im asking for alot in a bullet.....but theres gota be one out there....thanx alot.......

Encore28 01-04-2004 10:39 AM

RE: maxi hunters...

Try the Hornady SST or T/C Shockwave-------------They shoot great in my Firestorm and are less expensive.
T/C makes a few maxi bullets-they are cheap---------------Try them out!
Encore28

cayugad 01-04-2004 12:05 PM

The T/C Maxi Hunters in 360 grain should shoot excellent out of your rifle with about 70-80 grains of Pyrodex RS. As for use as a hunting projectile you will find them excellent. If you hit a bone they do tremendous bone smashing damage. If you miss the bones they still put a 1/2 inch hole through the animal. You make sure that hole is in the vitals, and nothing can stand up to that. They usually always get excellent penetration also.

Another choice for your rifle if you have access to bullet casting supplies are the LEE R.E.A.L. conicals. They come in a 320 grain which would also work real well in your rifle.

Keep in mind, these are flat based conicals, and you will often get better accuracy if you use a wonderwad between the projectile and the charge. If you have no wads, some people use corn meal. I have never done that myself, but just for kicks I am going it get some and try it....

You have a great rifle there.......

VAhuntr 01-04-2004 12:22 PM

I have used the 350 grain T/C Maxi Hunters for years out of my old T/C with great results. I have never lost a deer shooting these bullets. I get the best accuracy with 100 grains of Pyrodex with my set up. They will definately perform on deer.

mauser06 01-04-2004 12:46 PM

thanx guys.....i think ill shot those next year....powerbelts are killing me to shoot at the range and to discharge and everything.....i dont want to shot a sabot....my bore is to tight....i cnat get a second powerblet down....sabots are generally harder to load then a powerbelt i hear....im just looking for something easier to load thatll put a good hole in a deer and isnt to expensive.....thats why i looked at conicals......and dont want to shot a rd ball......just dont have faith in them putting a nice hole in a deer and giving off very much shock at all....this year isnt over.....maybe ill put a powerbelt in a deer.....but i would have to clean in the woods to get another round in....thats not in the position i want to be in when a buck is standing there after a miss or something.......i guess ill shoot some maxis and see what shoots good.....thanx

cayugad 01-04-2004 02:01 PM

Mauser06 to be honest, don't over look a round ball for knockdown power. Unless your shooting over 85 yards, that round ball will take them out. After 85 yards they can still do it, it is just most would not recommend it. That is still a 1/2 inch hole your knocking through them. And they are cheap to shoot and a lot of fun, and actually very accurate.

I took three this year with round ball. Not one of them went more then 45 yards after being hit. Two of them were between 50-60 yards and the last one was about 45 yards. The only reason the one ran so far was the ball shattered a rib and then followed the rib up into the spine.. The important thing is shot placement as is with anything we shoot. You hit a rib bone going in and that round ball will flatten a little making a nasty hole through anything in it's way.

Actually I like hunting with round ball. I also like trying new projectiles which is why I understand you wanting to try conicals. I am ordering 2 new molds for the .50 caliber, a 320 grain Conical and a .452 diameter 300 grain flat nose bullet for sabots. We will see how they shoot... Have fun out there, that's what it is all about...

dsheally 01-07-2004 03:27 AM

I used to shoot a T/C Renegade with a 1/48 twist and was ready to get rid of
the gun until I tried the Hornady Great Plains bullet with 80 grains of powder
as my gun shop suggested. Boy did that gun shoot well with them. If I remember they were 385 gr. and they would knock most deer I shot with them
down to the ground. One doe I remember shooting was 97 yards away when
the bullet hit her. She dropped like a ton of bricks fell on her. They really do
the job on deer, especially when you hit the shoulder blade area. I still have
a box or 2 at the house but my inline doesn't like them, guess it's the faster
twist is why. The powder I shot was 80 grains of loose pyrodex. Good Luck.

bpbullets 01-08-2004 02:13 AM

I have a web site that might help you with your loading problem. bpbullets.com. Recommend you read up on steps to accuracy, which involves using a spit patch to swab your barrel between rounds. Also use Hodgdons 777 loose powder. Try the Precision Rifle Extreme. It is a sabot, but should do everything you want provided you follow the steps on my site. They only cost $8.95 a pack, which isn't too bad and they do the job.

Good luck

Big Guy01 01-08-2004 08:06 AM

I have followed the same route . I started using my tc Hawkin 1/48 .54 with round ball, and it worked OK. I then tried the TC maxi ball which is not a ball but a conical, they are terrific. I then succumed to the hipe that I needed more expansion and went to Maxi hunters, Lee Reel bullets, Hornady great plains bullets. They all worked well in my gun but nothing loaded as easy as the maxi ball and was as accurate. I now cast my own Maxi balls and they load and shoot great. TC sells molds for the Maxi ball or the Maxi Hunter I have both. That makes them cheap and I get the added pride of taking a deer with my own cast bullets . I repeat Maxiballs are a conical bullet not a round ball

2huntis2 01-08-2004 04:59 PM

I second big guy01, mold your own maxi and smile bigger when your field dressing.