Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

777 vd pyrodex

Old 12-31-2003, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default 777 vd pyrodex

I just got a T/C Omega for christmas and will be using pellets instead of the powder. I am new to muzzleloaders and would like to know the differences and advantages of using 777 or pyrodex. I think they are about the same cost.

Alos suggestions on bullets for whitetails and a scope ($200) for the gun.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 777 vd pyrodex

Since you have decided you will only use pellets first let me say you are not getting the full potential from your rifle IMO. You might load two pellets into the gun and have an acceptable load but I think if you work that load in 5 grain amounts up or down, you could have a fantastic shooting gun, for a lot less money.

The main difference between Pyrodex Pellets and Triple Se7en Pellets is cost and clean up. Triple Se7en I believe costs a little more. It does in my area in loose form then Pyrodex. Two pellets of one is very near the same power as two pellets of the other. Actually because Triple Se7en reduced the power of their product in pellet form, Pyrodex might have a sight and I mean slight edge in pellet form power over the Triple Se7en. In loose form Triple Se7en is 15% stronger then Pyrodex and must be loaded in reguards to that fact.

Triple Se7en clean up is wonderful. Water will clean the crud out of the barrel. Pyrodex is a little harder to clean is all. Some people have reported when shooting above 100 grains of T-7 they develop a crud ring in the breech. I have not found that the case, but I swab between shots. This might be why I have no ring.

Some loads you might want to try in your rifle is. 2 Pellets of what ever, and some .44 caliber T/C Shockwaves or Cheap Shots. You could also try some Powerbelts in .50 caliber. The size of the powerbelt is up to you. In the .45 caliber area, a Hornady 300 grain XTP or SST would be good in a harvester sabot. There are also Percision Bullets called Dead Center, and Silver Lightening. These are excellent projectiles. They are very expensive compared to other projectiles on the market but you get what you pay for.

In my T/C Black Diamond Xr I have found that 110 grains of Pyrodex and T/C Shockwaves will shoot fantastic groups. I have kicked the charge up to 120 grains and still got good results. Anything over that and they start to fly on me.
I have also had good results shooting 370 T/C Maxi Balls. They hold an excellent group with anything from 100-120 grains of powder.

Good luck with your rifle.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I mounted a Bushnell Banner 1.5 X 4.5 Dusk to Dawn Shotgun scope on my Black Diamond. I am real happy with it even though it is a low dollar scope.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

so triple seven doesnt have that rotten egg smell and cleans up better and has the same accuracy potential as pyrodex? does triple 7 tend to start going bad or spoil in the barrel easier in damp and rainy conditions because of its ease of cleaning with water? im just about done with my 6 year old can of pyrodex and i am wondering if my thompson center new englander should be fed this new triple seven powder. thanks for any opinions
Old 01-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

bump anyone?
Old 01-04-2004, 04:00 AM

I use two 777 pellets in my Remington 700 Muzzleloader with a 300 gr. Barnes
bullet and it loves this combo. Just took a doe the other day at 154 yards and
she went down quick. I cleans up quick and has very little smell to it once
fired. Actually I like it much better than Pyrodex. Have never tried the loose
powder.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

The benefits of T7 have been mentioned already. I did find that 100 gr T7 vs 100gr Pyro (pellet form) offered very little in velocity change or POI in my Rem 700 this fall. The groups were pretty much the same, clean up a bit easier, less smoke & no egg smell. I am not sure I would pay the extra for the T7 pellets in 50gr again though, maybe 30's (that way a person can load 120 gr(3x30) of the T7 and be closer to 100 grains of T7 Loose) However my vote would be go loose if you want T7, that is where I believe you'll see the benefits of this powder in the areas that most expect (POI-less bullet drop and Velocity increase over pyrodex) & less cost!

For the scope I use a Bushnell Elite, but the banner, sportsman or trophy would all be adequate for your ML. Just put on solid mounts and rings to hold her tight.

Bullet is preference of the shooter and gune. That being said the Hornady XTP's have always performed very well on the range and in the field for me. I shoot the 240 gr version for deer, it has taken 7 deer and 1 black bear with ease. I know alot of guys who use the 300 gr version and are equally pleased.

Have fun blowing smoke with your new ML[8D]
Old 01-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Spike

Hey,

Happy New Year. I use 777 myself and have not used Pyrodex. Just got another lb. of loose and it cost $20 where I live in Orange Co. NY. Easy to clean and no smell and if you are not looking for alot of speed you can use 70 to 90 gr. and get some good results.
On the scope, I would recommend looking at www.dnrsports.net. I bought a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 for $164.48 which included shipping. Great scope with good eye relief and has Rainguard also. Good luck in your search.