HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   "Double bang" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/45568-double-bang.html)

eb 12-07-2003 06:30 PM

"Double bang"

I shoot a Remington 700 ml.I recently switched it over to 209 primers,and I started using 777 at the same time.I notice with this combo,it has a distinctive double bang.The nipple is clean.Any ideas why this is happening?

cayugad 12-07-2003 08:39 PM

RE: "Double bang"

it sounds like your gettting a hang fire for some reason. I have never shot the 209 primers, but my understanding is they throw more fire then the #11's. All I could think to check is make sure there is no oil or residue in the rifle before loading, and pick the nipple good before you fire. If it keeps up, change back to the way it was and see if it corrects the problem.... good luck

propmahn 12-08-2003 11:09 AM

i just got a rem 700ml a couiple of weeks ago and using 209 primers and 777 I havent had a double bang or a hang fire yet and ive used about half a pound of 777 so far. Send an email to Remington and see if they can help you out

skeeter 7MM 12-08-2003 12:30 PM

I have the same gun I switched to 209 using the cabelas kit and use winchester primers with no problems. However my buddy did the same with the rem. kit and federal primers he has complained of the same thing. (This is with T7 pellets) I don't think it is the converstion kit as I know others with no problems, I suspect the primers or powder may be the source of the problem. I have tried to get him to try my primers and powder but he is too p'd right now, so I can't give you clear idea if my theory is at all practical[&:] I suggest you try to eliminate one thing at a time until you get back to where you started. The primer thing is the cheapest and easiest, then go from there.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

eb 12-08-2003 05:13 PM

I went out today and shot once with the 777 pellets,and got a hangfire.I put the regular pyrodex pellets in and it was fine.I also had it not go off at all once with the 777 pellets.The first pellet was even black from where the primer went off.
Too bad,I really liked the clean up with the 777. Thanks

driftrider 12-08-2003 08:04 PM

It almost sounds as if the pellets are contaminated. Have they been exposed to moisture?

I'd almost say try another box of pellets before you make up your mind, but that's pretty expensive if the gun or primers are the culprit.

If it works with loose powder, I'd just suggest you use loose powder. It's a great deal cheaper anyway, and you can fine tune your loads.

Mike

Triple Se7en 12-08-2003 10:11 PM

eb

Hodgdon has great customer service. Email them & tell them about your hang/misfires. As long as you did not get them wet, they will send you a container to place the remaining pellets in -- then send them back free of charge.

There is a binding agent in the pellets that keeps the grains intact. They may have applied too much (or) you may some Pyrodex mixed in with your 777. It's happened before... both powders are bottled & pelletized under one roof.

Around 10 days after you ship the contaminated pellets, you will likely receive 2-pks of new pellets to replace the one pack that went bad.

Goldenhawk 12-09-2003 07:26 PM

I have the same gun a remington model 700 I switched it to 209 and got a double fire also but I was trying the pellets. I switched back to regular Pyrodex and have had no problems. I also kept the weather shield on it says not recommended but I have had no problems yet. I am not a big fan of the pellets at all.

eb 12-11-2003 02:41 PM

No,they didn't get wet or mixed up with my pyrodex.I just got the 777 pellets when I got the 209 conversion and hadn't got the pyrodex out of the box since then.I will try to e mail them though.Thanks

eb 12-12-2003 04:04 PM

Just an update:The people at hodgdon said that the problem was my 209 conversion kit.It has slots in the sides of the basket that holds the primers,which wastes to much energy to get a good ignition.He said there are other conversions available that will work fine.Thanks for all the input.