Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

"Double bang"

Old 12-13-2003, 08:08 AM

Default RE: "Double bang"

Interesting I wonder if Remington will replace the nipple for us? I just converted over last week. I didnt have the problems when I use regular Pyrodex just with the pellets?
Old 12-13-2003, 01:27 PM
eb

I e mailed Remington about it yesterday,so I'll keep you posted when they reply.

It probably wouldn't hurt if anyone else having the same problems e-mailed them also,so they knew it's not just an isolated problem.

www.remington.com
Old 12-14-2003, 10:24 PM
Spike

My friend & I both have the Rem. 700 ML and both switched to the Triple 7 this year (for cleaning purposes). He started getting double bangs and thought his pellets may have picked up some moisture. He switched back to his Pyrodex and had no problems as it fired just fine. I didn't have any problems initially, but just yesterday started getting hang fires and double bangs. After some reluctance, I switched back to the Pyrodex pellets and my problems are gone.

Therefore, at least in both our situations we concluded that it must be the Triple 7 pellets.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:33 PM
eb

Yea,they said the 777 takes more to set off.I'd like to try a different nipple to see if it worked any better.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I also own the Remington 700 Muzzleloader.

I am also a victim of the double bang when using the Triple 7 pellets, but I do not have any problem when using the granulated Triple 7.

Therefore, in my opinion, the problem is with the pellet version of Triple 7.

eb, I would like to hear from you if you find that Remington makes a different nipple for the Model 700 muzzleloader.

Also Please Note!

The pellets had a different point of impact than the granulated. And I'm not talking a small difference either...it was about 3 inches! In other words, I'd have to sight the gun in twice...once if I want to shoot pellets and and 2nd time if I want to shoot granulated.

Bottom line:

Triple 7 sucks in my opinion. I will not be buying any more of it.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

vc1111, you can get a kit from Cabela's for the 700ML. I installed this one this fall and had no issues(double bang, accuracy,etc) with T7 in pellet or loose form.

Here is the nipple which you can buy seperately for $15 US via cabela's. It works with the breech but wether the firing pin mech is the same as a rem factory kit I don't know for sure but would assume so! (I'll post both pics)

Old 12-21-2003, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

This the complete kit for around 40.00 bucks via cabela's.

Old 12-21-2003, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey, skeeter, thanks for taking the time to give me all that info. I will ck it out. I appreciate your effort.

One question...

Does you Remington 700 ML have the same point of impact when firing the Triple 7 granulated vs the Tr pellets?
Old 12-21-2003, 06:16 PM
eb

Is that "fork"for getting the spent primers out?Looks like a better nipple than in the remington kit.It doesn't have all the slots cut in the side of it.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

vc1111, I had trouble with the loose for some reason in T7 holding a tight group, so I just stuck with the pellet form for this year. The POI with 100/100 was pretty close though. I am by no means an expert on T7 as this is my first year trying the powder, personally I found the pellets to be fine and will try the loose again to see if i can't develop a load. The only real benefits I have found is clean up and flatter trajectory with T7(about 2" at 200 yards, although I max my range at 150 the difference was closer to 3/4+ 150 vs Pyrodex). I used the same bullet as previous the Hornady 240Gr XTP's. Did try a few other but this bullet has yet to let me down in the field or on the range. I will say guys seem to either love T7 or hate it, I have a couple buddies who switched back to pyrodex for various reasons. I like to tinker with load combo's so I am used to starting over and obviously at going back to what worked previosly. Right now I think the T7 is a good choice, but is it much better than Pyrodex well the jury is out IMO. 100 grains of pyrodex has taken 8 animals for me in the 700 ML and T7 100 grains only 1. If I experienced any problems I would have no hesitations of going back to Pyrodex or even number 11's. I hunt(prime concern) with my ML and if it isn't bringing me confidence I simply won't use it for a little less elbow grease or ark. Just my 2 cents worth...go with what works best and forget all the hype. It is ok to experiment though and try to find equal to or better choices, just don't think you have to b/c others say it is the best since slice bread! Good Luck. Your welcome, no trouble at all...hope it helps.

eb, yes the fork is designed as a pick to remove the 209 primer and works fine. Nope pretty much solid, maybe it is part of the problem, I know my buddy had the same double bang with the rem kit and I haven't with this kit. Worst part of the cabela's kit is you have take the whole bolt assembly apart(not just unscrew like the rem kit) and that little pin that holds the firing pin in place is a B%tch to get out...lots of swear words used that evening.

Quick Reply: "Double bang"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.