HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Interesting situation. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/428209-interesting-situation.html)

jnicholes 07-29-2022 10:38 AM

Interesting situation.

Hi everyone.

I have an interesting situation I would like some advice about.

I have two friends from Japan coming to stay with my family. I want to give them a fun American experience. I decided to do two things. The first one is for sure, I am going to take them along on my deer hunt on August 30th.

The second thing I need advice on is this. Simply put, I want to get them a muzzleloader kit they can build with me here in the US. I know they cant take it back with them because of Japans laws, so they would leave it with me. But I think its a fun activity for them to do.

I was thinking about this kit. I am aware it is a "novelty gun," as one user here said, but I thought it would be fun to build it with them.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/...ber-percussion

What do you guys think? Should I try this? If not, Should I try something else to give them a fun American experience?

Any input will be appreciated,

Jared

SportsmanNH 07-29-2022 05:49 PM

You asked for our 2 cents , so I'm going to give you my 5 cent opinion . Why do you want to throw away $380 dollars on some novelty gun that you cant use for anything once your friends go back to Japan ? Total waste of money . Buy something that YOU can use for hunting in the future .

I think you guys would have more fun shooting an inexpensive bolt action rifle on targets for accuracy rather that building a useless gun . Get a smaller caliber like 243 or 7mm-08 because they are not used to recoil .

jnicholes 07-29-2022 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by SportsmanNH (Post 4405015)
You asked for our 2 cents , so I'm going to give you my 5 cent opinion . Why do you want to throw away $380 dollars on some novelty gun that you cant use for anything once your friends go back to Japan ? Total waste of money . Buy something that YOU can use for hunting in the future .

I think you guys would have more fun shooting an inexpensive bolt action rifle on targets for accuracy rather that building a useless gun . Get a smaller caliber like 243 or 7mm-08 because they are not used to recoil .

I see your point. Thank you for the advice.

Now that I think about it, I don’t think it’s a good idea to get it. After all, what can I use it for? Nothing. That’s what.

I actually got an elk tag today. Maybe taking them along on an elk hunt and deer hunt will be good enough for them.

Thank you for stopping me. I appreciate it. Jared

edmehlig 07-30-2022 02:37 AM

They may not like hunting and that extra body scent may scare away the animals. Plus they may find it boring if you don’t see anything and you may need to buy them boots and clothing. I would say like was mentioned above, get a 7mm-08 or what ever you like and take them shooting. Obviously they can’t do that in Japan.

Semisane 07-30-2022 02:55 PM

They may also have on a skeet range.

CalHunter 07-30-2022 06:36 PM

Take them to do stuff they can't do in Japan. Target shoot fun guns that you own or would like to own. 22's, rifles, pistols, Ar-15's etc. Then ask them if they want to do it again or do something different. They may or may not want to hunt but just about everybody likes target shooting. Just food for thought.

Oldtimr 07-31-2022 03:23 AM

Some more advice. Taking two people who know nothing about deer hunting and who have probably zero clothing suitable for deer hunting and who will put three times the scent in the air as you would alone and since talking is not a good idea on deer stand is not a good plan. They will be bored and you will most likely fail to take a deer. As was suggested above take them target shooting.

jnicholes 08-04-2022 09:30 AM

OK, guys. Thank you all for the advice. I appreciate it. I had something interesting happen with my friends. One of them really, really wanted to see how I hunt. So I bit the bullet, and took her to the spot I go out elk hunting. I knew I wouldn’t get an elk, but I would at least show her how we hunt.

While we were walking, I was showing her signs of elk. Scat, tracks, that stuff. All of a sudden, she said, “something‘s moving over there.” I pulled out my monocular, and confirmed it to be a coyote.

I wanted to give her a good experience seeing how Americans hunt. I told her, “plug your ears. I’m going to try and take it.“ I fired a shot with my Kentucky muzzleloader. 90 grains and a patched round ball.

I missed at 100 yards. I then explained to her that sometimes you see things, sometimes you don’t. Sometimes you hit something, sometimes you miss.

Regardless, she had a really good time seeing how we hunt. She said herself that she really enjoyed it.

I also took her out target shooting with a muzzleloader that same day before the hunt. Believe it or not, she almost hit a tin can at 30 yards, not bad for the first time using a muzzleloader.

Anyway, that’s all. I want to thank you all for the advice you have given me.

Jared