HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Return Trip - Rock Pit with Ulite 45 SS (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/427901-return-trip-rock-pit-ulite-45-ss.html)

sabotloader 04-26-2022 11:15 AM

Return Trip - Rock Pit with Ulite 45 SS

Sunday was a great day here on the Idaho Palouse!!! We deserved it!

Decided to take the new SS ULite to the pit to complete the sight in process. So, no great message here other than a great afternoon of shooting for FUN!

It was a Sunday and I knew I was taking a chance going out there in the afternoon and not being able to get the Pit because other shooters would be there having fun also. But, the day was SOOOO nice at least the drive would be nice.

To my surprise when I go there - it was empty - nobody there! As I was unloading and setting up - I knew I was fortunate as I heard shooting from the smaller pit up the road and from the open area just a short distance out the lower road.

My old complaint about the pit was obvious again as it was strewn with the remnants of other shooting activities and the remains that were left behind. In fact, I was even a bit fortunate. At the 100 yard rock wall someone had set up 4 clay birds and either didn't hit them or they left before completing their shoot. I planned on making good use of those target after my sight in process.

Carried the target and target board out to the 100 yard mark, then set up the portable bench. Prepared my tailgate work bench and loaded the rifle up. 120 grains of BH-209 by volume, a MMP 40x45 Tan sabot, and a Lehigh 40x200 CF-HP solid copper bullet.

This pic shows both the brass variety and the copper 40x200 CF-HP. Unfortunately, both of these bullets are no longer available at this time as Wilson Combat has bought out the bullet making process from Lehigh Defense.

I took 3 shots at the target and made the necessary scope adjustments both windage and elevation. I use a 3" PBR (Point Blank Range) sight in process, and in that I want the POI to be very close to 3" high.

After sighting in, I naturally went to disposing of the 4 left over birds on the wall. All went well 4 shots took care of business. After that I took a few more shots at various chip targets near that wall. I would have like to shoot a few more but there was group of guys waiting patiently for me to finish so they could start shooting.

This composite pic shows the afternoons expedition with the new Knight Ultra-Lite SS 45.

This is a better pic of the birds on the wall

1874sharpsshooter 04-26-2022 01:31 PM

Nice shooting . 120 gr is a pretty good load . To bad you cant get them bullets any more . Guess when they are gone you could start shooting powerbelts 🤣🤣🤣🤣

sabotloader 04-26-2022 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter (Post 4403565)
Nice shooting . 120 gr is a pretty good load . To bad you cant get them bullets any more . Guess when they are gone you could start shooting powerbelts 🤣🤣🤣🤣

That is not even really funny! yuk!:biggrin:

bronko22000 04-28-2022 06:41 AM

Well Mike that sucks about the Lehigh bullets. I know you pretty much swear by them. Is Wilson going to start making them or are they gone with the wind? I appreciate the range report. At least I can read about shooting. I won't get to shoot until about the 1st week of June. Can't wait to tweak my Disc Extreme but would love to swap someone my new .50 for a .45.
BTW it really irks me when I go to a shooting place (I have on similar to you) and find junk laying around from previous guys. I've had 3 other places blocked off because of this. My friend and I even offered to lease a small piece of property from the landowner and gate the road giving him a key but he decided against it.

sabotloader 04-28-2022 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4403595)
Well Mike that sucks about the Lehigh bullets. I know you pretty much swear by them. Is Wilson going to start making them or are they gone with the wind?

I think Wilson plans on making some of them, probably the ones that would be profitable for them. So I have no idea where that puts the ML bullets. Hopefully they will continue.

I appreciate the range report. At least I can read about shooting. I won't get to shoot until about the 1st week of June. Can't wait to tweak my Disc Extreme but would love to swap someone my new .50 for a .45.
Yes, not much breaking news in these range trips, just more or less sharing.

BTW it really irks me when I go to a shooting place (I have on similar to you) and find junk laying around from previous guys. I've had 3 other places blocked off because of this. My friend and I even offered to lease a small piece of property from the landowner and gate the road giving him a key but he decided against it.
I just do not understand why people, and in my case mostly college kids from the two nearby Universities would make and leave such a mess. People are just a a whole lot different these days.

Hey do you have a fast twist 45 ML?

mike

bronko22000 04-28-2022 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4403603)
Hey do you have a fast twist 45 ML?
mike

Not in an inline Mike. I have a couple in sidelocks. My problem is I need a straight stock because I'm a lefty. I have a new Disc Extreme that has the Lehigh 209 conversion in it and I have less than 50 shot through it but its a .50 cal. I wouldn't mind swapping someone for a .45 fast twist. I got my Knight right after getting my .50 cal Rem 700ML so I don't really need it. I put the Badger Ridge 209 conversion in the 700.

sabotloader 04-28-2022 02:22 PM

OK - I was just checking!

bronko22000 04-28-2022 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4403605)
OK - I was just checking!

wanna swap?

sabotloader 04-28-2022 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4403608)
wanna swap?

Not today! I am really liking these two 45's