HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Where is everyone? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/427644-where-everyone.html)

bronko22000 02-27-2022 07:36 AM

Where is everyone?

Where are all the devoted muzzleloader shooters? I come here every day and there is nothing new posted. Not even and replies to existing threads! This is a great forum with lots of knowledge but it appears to be dying out. I realize that its winter and the weather isn't cooperating but wow, you can be writing about something.

hubby11 02-27-2022 05:09 PM

It's not just this sub-forum, the whole of hunting.net seems to be stagnant. I don't have a solid answer, sometimes a forum just seems to run out of steam. I am curious what's the average age of a regular poster in this sub-forum.

Semisane 02-27-2022 08:02 PM

This was the best and most active muzzleloading forum on the Internet until two things happened. First, for some reason participation began dropping off after traditional muzzleloading was split off as a sub-section of the black powder forum. Then we lost Dave Anderson (Cayugad) who's posts and comments kept things rolling merrily along. I never met Dave face-to-face, but I dang sure do miss him.

bronko22000 02-28-2022 06:41 AM

I agree Semi...several people have went to the Happy Hunting Ground since I've joined this forum. But I also came to know a lot of guys that I consider a friend, you included. (even though you are at half cock! LOL)
You, Sabotloader, Me, and a couple others are the ones that keep this forum, at least the black powder section, going. Its a shame that some guys dropped out because they didn't agree with others and got their panties in a bunch. A forum is an open discussion without bias.
Me, even being an old dog, still learns a few thing now and then.

Gm54-120 02-28-2022 06:52 AM

When you log on more than half the user names are fake bot names and the people with the power to stop it wont.....Well thats fine....they can have their fake users and i will post most of my content elsewhere.

sabotloader 02-28-2022 08:54 AM

I keep hoping most will bounce back as we get closer to the hunting seasons.

I like all of you have noticed that it is a very quiet place!

idahoron 02-28-2022 10:28 AM

I drop in about every day. But just haven't seen much. I haven't been shooting this winter to report.
I think Facebook groups are what's killing forums. A guy can get almost instant replies and get instant notifications. But you have to put up with a lot of drama there too.

SportsmanNH 02-28-2022 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by idahoron (Post 4402410)
I drop in about every day. But just haven't seen much. I haven't been shooting this winter to report.
I think Facebook groups are what's killing forums. A guy can get almost instant replies and get instant notifications. But you have to put up with a lot of drama there too.

Its beyond me why any hunter or shooter with bow or firearm would ever go to FakeBook . They are one of the top donors to anti hunting and anti 2nd amendment Democrats and special interest organizations . They want to censor out the truth and shove their liberal agenda down everyones throats.

Bocajnala 03-01-2022 12:29 AM

Yep, what Ron said. Make a post on one of those pages and you'll get immediate replies. And sometimes hundreds of them.

-Jake

TNHagies 03-07-2022 05:15 PM

I drop in from time-to-time and is good to see some familiar names still posting. I really hate we lost Dave. He always felt like family.

Young kids have stifled my shooting quite a bit and then the oldest girl has got into modern sporting rifles and pistols. So I spend a lot of time reloading ammo for her to burn up.

Lord willing, this summer I'll get some time to get back behind the smokepole.

gemihur 03-08-2022 12:12 PM

I come by as often as I can.
Life is hectic to put it mildly
I appreciate the perspectives shared by the members here
Mostly I recognize them by their avatars
I'll try to bring more to the table
Thanks,
Jimmy

falcon 03-09-2022 07:11 AM

i've neglected this site for too long.

i killed this buck from a low stand at the base of a tree overlooking a trail on the last day, last hour and last minutes of the Oklahoma 2021 deer gun season. Buck had stopped and was facing me at an angle from about 40 yards. At the shot the buck ran about ten yards and went down. Bullet entered just behind the shoulder, broke two or three ribs,, made a mess of everything and did not exit.

Rifle: .50 TC Encore
Scope: Zeiss 4X
Bullet: 250 grain SST in crush rib sabot
Powder: 120 grains of Black MZ

GOOD OLE BOY 03-14-2022 06:33 AM

Very nice falcon.I too have been guilty on not bein on here in a long time.I just haven,t spent much time on the computer.I,ll make a point to get on here more often.:sign0016:

1874sharpsshooter 04-25-2022 11:24 AM

I kinda quit the forums for a while. I might start posting some results again. I still been shooting just aint been posting 😁
heading out on a bear hunt with the mzzy in a couple weeks. Might post that depending on how it goes. Got skunked last trip , but that happens.

sabotloader 04-26-2022 07:33 AM

SShooter are you coming over to Idaho again?

1874sharpsshooter 04-26-2022 08:02 AM

Yes. Going to try the same unit as last trip .

Fyrstyk54 04-26-2022 08:18 AM

I've noticed that there seems to be down turn in the muzzle loader section now that the traditional muzzleloaders are now separate. Probably not as many of us traditional shooters and the inline muzzle loader guys don't shoot their guns as often as traditional folks do. Just my opinion. I can understand why they don't shoot as often due to the cost of the components whereas us traditional guys are happy shooting lead balls. Of course, with powder and caps hard to come by these days, alot of guys are not shooting to conserve the components they have.

RobertSubnet 05-06-2022 05:51 PM

I really hate we lost Dave.
The same here. He helped me through a lot of my early mistakes. I try to honor Dave and the memory of other teachers by sharing what they taught me whenever possible.

1874sharpsshooter 05-07-2022 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Fyrstyk54 (Post 4403561)
I've noticed that there seems to be down turn in the muzzle loader section now that the traditional muzzleloaders are now separate. Probably not as many of us traditional shooters and the inline muzzle loader guys don't shoot their guns as often as traditional folks do. Just my opinion. I can understand why they don't shoot as often due to the cost of the components whereas us traditional guys are happy shooting lead balls. Of course, with powder and caps hard to come by these days, alot of guys are not shooting to conserve the components they have.

I still shoot a lot . I just kinda quit posting much . Seems anymore that any form of social media consists of 2 or 3 good guys and 999 jerkoffs , so why bother 😁 i finally got old enough that I ran out of patience for the stupidity that is so prevalent. .

Semisane 05-07-2022 05:13 PM

Dang it Sharpsshooter. I'm aware of three good guys on this forum. I guess I know where that leaves me. 😎😁 Jerkoffs Unite!!!

1874sharpsshooter 05-07-2022 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Semisane (Post 4403744)
Dang it Sharpsshooter. I'm aware of three good guys on this forum. I guess I know where that leaves me. 😎😁 Jerkoffs Unite!!!

maybe there are 1998 jerkoffs on here ,that leaves room for 6 good guys , so don't get to excited about being in the jerkoff category yet 😁 you might not be .

Semisane 05-07-2022 05:41 PM

Obviously, you haven't checked with my wife.

edmehlig 05-07-2022 05:42 PM

Am I one of the good guys?:biggrin:

Semisane 05-07-2022 05:48 PM

I'll have to check my files Ed. Did you send in your $69.95 Good Guy Membership fee for 2022?

edmehlig 05-08-2022 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Semisane (Post 4403749)
I'll have to check my files Ed. Did you send in your $69.95 Good Guy Membership fee for 2022?

Guess not. :rolleye0011:

deer655 07-03-2022 06:18 AM

I have always loved coming on here and learning. I am also a creature of habit. I have only one black powder gun- my original mk85. I bought over a 1000 of the nosler 45 bullets before they discontinued them. I use the same sabot for years. I have the same 100 yard accuracy that I had the day I started using them. A deer will be dead at 100 yards if I do my part and be patient. You guys have given me the foundation that I needed years ago to do this and I thank you. Black powder hunting is my favorite with bow hunting a close second. I need to post more pictures of my hunting adventures. And Dave was an awesome asset here.

gregrn43 07-23-2022 02:54 AM

I sure don't get on here nearly as often as I use to. I do alot of fishing in the summer on the Mississippi, Arkansas and Tennessee rivers. Love to catch those big cats. I still go to Ohio every other year to hunt. Last year all I manage to get was a doe. Saw 5 bucks but as usual the only one I wanted to shoot I couldn't get a shot at.

Underclocked 08-08-2022 04:18 AM

Where am I?

Semisane 08-08-2022 06:39 AM

You're right there Underclocked. You'll never be lost if you remember the first rule of navigation - "Wherever you are, there you are."

bronko22000 08-09-2022 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter (Post 4403739)
I still shoot a lot . I just kinda quit posting much . Seems anymore that any form of social media consists of 2 or 3 good guys and 999 jerkoffs , so why bother 😁 i finally got old enough that I ran out of patience for the stupidity that is so prevalent. .

Originally Posted by Semisane (Post 4403744)

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter (Post 4403745)
maybe there are 1998 jerkoffs on here ,that leaves room for 6 good guys , so don't get to excited about being in the jerkoff category yet 😁 you might not be .

I'd hate to see a forum die because some of us can't abide arrogance or stupidity. Heck this gives us practice to be out in the real world. Have you been out there recently? It never ceases to amaze me how some people made it to adulthood let alone come into authority like most in congress!

edmehlig 08-09-2022 11:10 AM

Hopefully I’ll be leaving my part time job in a few months and that will give me more time to make smoke. God it felt great to get out the other day abd shoot several of my White Mzl’s. Now when I do retire I just hope the little boss doesn’t have a big list of things for me to do. Grin

bronko22000 08-09-2022 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by edmehlig (Post 4405188)
Now when I do retire I just hope the little boss doesn’t have a big list of things for me to do. Grin

Don't count on it Ed. After I retired I had so much to do the first 6 months that I wondered how I ever had time for a full time job! Even now I find things to do. I'm in the process of laying about 600 sqft of 6"x24" tile in my house. Most of the laminate I pulled up is going to go into my finished basement!

edmehlig 08-10-2022 01:18 AM

That's what I'm afraid of. :happy0157: Maybe I should not retire then? At least I'll get paid for my work. LOL

bronko22000 08-12-2022 04:27 PM

Right now I'm about half way through laying about 850 sqft of 6"x24" ceramic tile. My knees feel hamburg and my hands and back are so sore. I think my right thumb is broke or I got a severe case of arthritis in it. I'm going to go get a brace for it tomorrow.

Johnmorris 09-12-2022 05:15 PM

I have severe arthritis in my trigger finger no more double action shooting for me pain, and cant make a fist. I can hardly bend it. My shoulder replaced so no hard recoil. I make smoke with my 36 cal rifle and pistols

Semisane 09-15-2022 06:43 PM

That sucks John. Is the shoulder limitation a forever thing? My brother-in-law has a .45 TC Omega. It shoots lights out with 65 grains of Blackhorn and 240 grain XTP's - very low recoil and very effective on deer.

edmehlig 09-16-2022 04:18 AM

My grandson use to shoot 50 & 55 gr of 777-3F with my 350gr conical. Man talk about a mild recoil. He loved it, but the deer at 60 yds or less hated it.