HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Powder coated bullets (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/427352-powder-coated-bullets.html)

bronko22000 01-04-2022 08:09 PM

Powder coated bullets

I was wondering if anyone has tried shooting powder coated bullets out of their muzzies?
I've been shooting cast and powder coated bullets out of my lever guns with zero leading issues and less messy than using lube.
I was thinking of casting some maxiballs and others for my 45 just to try it.
If anyone has tried this let me know so I ain't wasting my time.

Semisane 01-05-2022 11:59 AM

I have not Clem, but it's an interesting idea. Do you do your own powder coating of the bullets for your lever actions? Do you think there may be advantages other than messy lube vs. powder coating thing? How about an accuracy comparison of lubed vs. powder coating in your .45 using Ed Mehlig's 350 or 460 grain bullets? It would also be interesting to shoot both types over a chronograph to see if average velocity changes. Heck, old guys like you have nothing better to do anyway.

bronko22000 01-06-2022 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Semisane (Post 4400943)
I have not Clem, but it's an interesting idea. Do you do your own powder coating of the bullets for your lever actions? Do you think there may be advantages other than messy lube vs. powder coating thing? How about an accuracy comparison of lubed vs. powder coating in your .45 using Ed Mehlig's 350 or 460 grain bullets? It would also be interesting to shoot both types over a chronograph to see if average velocity changes. Heck, old guys like you have nothing better to do anyway.

i just might do that but not any time soon. I'm trying to get a deer for my freezer during this last season.(flintlock only). Then on my way to Florida for the winter.
i do know that the bullets i cast for my 375 Win shoot almost as good as the jacketed ones.

bronko22000 01-07-2022 09:19 AM

Semi if this wind dies down I just might head to the range tomorrow as it isn't going to get above freezing in the near future. I have some 340 gr bullets at .451" that are lubed and just sized a couple more down to .451" and will try them in my 45. As a comparison I also have some 405 grain bullets loaded for my 45-70 Sharps replica both paper patched and powder coated (the same bullets). I'll send some of those down range also.
I was out this morning doing a bit of still hunting in the newly fallen snow, about 3.5" but at 23* with the wind making it feel like 11* it was pretty cold for my old bones. I don't remember being that cold when I was younger! Also I didn't like the wind blowing that powdery snow in my face and on my rifle, even tho I had a waterproofed cloth over the lock. I decided I don't need a deer that bad. I still have deer and elk in the freezer.