Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Remove Bullet & Powder >

Remove Bullet & Powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remove Bullet & Powder

Old 11-01-2021, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Just take the breech plug out and push it out the breech end . Probably a good idea to take a tooth pic or any pointy soft item yjat wont hurt the threads and scratch out most of the powder before pushing the load out. Thats just so it doesn't get compacted in the threads . Nothing is going to happen. Stick a dry breech brush in there and spin it around to take out any residual powder and then clean the gun. If I had to call a gunsmith every time to unload my muzzle loader , I would have to have him on speed dial on my phone . On any foggy , drizzly, rainy , and even high humidity day , I unload my gun that night . Easier to unload it than shooting it and have to do a full cleaning . Just push a couple dry patches through the barrel . The projectile is usually fine to use again .

Despite the claim that BH209 being easier to clean after shooting the gun , it absolutely can leave corrosion in the breech when left in a gun for years. I think even worse than any other propellant . It sucks up moisture like a sponge . Even through the primer hole and the breech threads on a foggy or drizzly day. I have heard of more misfires with BH209 than all the other powders combined . If you are going to use it , make sure you grease the breech plug threads before installing it back in the gun. Another thing you MUST use is magnum primers even if you have the correct 209 breech plug or you are risking a misfire . Like I said earlier , BH209 needs a flame thrower to ignite it .
Old 11-04-2021, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SportsmanNH
Just take the breech plug out and push it out the breech end . Probably a good idea to take a tooth pic or any pointy soft item yjat wont hurt the threads and scratch out most of the powder before pushing the load out. Thats just so it doesn't get compacted in the threads . Nothing is going to happen. Stick a dry breech brush in there and spin it around to take out any residual powder and then clean the gun. If I had to call a gunsmith every time to unload my muzzle loader , I would have to have him on speed dial on my phone . On any foggy , drizzly, rainy , and even high humidity day , I unload my gun that night . Easier to unload it than shooting it and have to do a full cleaning . Just push a couple dry patches through the barrel . The projectile is usually fine to use again .

Despite the claim that BH209 being easier to clean after shooting the gun , it absolutely can leave corrosion in the breech when left in a gun for years. I think even worse than any other propellant . It sucks up moisture like a sponge . Even through the primer hole and the breech threads on a foggy or drizzly day. I have heard of more misfires with BH209 than all the other powders combined . If you are going to use it , make sure you grease the breech plug threads before installing it back in the gun. Another thing you MUST use is magnum primers even if you have the correct 209 breech plug or you are risking a misfire . Like I said earlier , BH209 needs a flame thrower to ignite it .
How odd, i never had to use any grease on plugs shooting BH209. Never once and ive shot many bottles of it in no less than 5 rifles. Mostly Knight rifles. I also have zero misfires with a standard Win209. Shot them since 2009ish. Not one single fail to fire.

BH209 absorbs the least amount of moisture of ANY sub. Cant imagine where you are coming up with all this nonsense. Its a nitro based propellant with only a tiny fraction of organics added. Seriously where do you guys come up with this total nonsense?

The vast majority of BH209 failures are user error plain and simple. Such as the OP using it in a old model CVA. I will bet he never read the FAQ sheets on Westerns Blackhorn website of he would not be using it in that rifle. Ive shot several pounds of loose fitting conicals with a regular Win209 in my Knights. How is it i can do this without fail....easy i use a well designed plug that seals my primer. I keep the flash channel clean like the BH209 website says to do. It goes bang every single time even if left loaded for 2 months.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-04-2021 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-06-2021, 03:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

If i loaded the gun i will shoot it. If someone else loaded the gun, i'll down load it. Don't need the services of a so called "gunsmith".

Some of my muzzleloaders remain loaded for months. There's a rolled piece of paper stuck in the muzzle stating the rifle is loaded.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

"Such as the OP using it in a old model CVA."
It's not a "old CVA". Was purchased new in 2008.

Last edited by smokey92; 11-29-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well yeah its 2021 and plugs designed for BH209 were not even available in 2008. So yes its an OLD CVA. Its not a newer model (post 2010) with a Blackhorn209 breech plug. They dont even make a BH209 plug for that model.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-30-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Well yeah its 2021 and plugs designed for BH209 were not even available in 2008. So yes its an OLD CVA. Its not a newer model (post 2010) with a Blackhorn209 breech plug. They dont even make a BH209 plug for that model.
Baloney, the first production run of Blackhorn 209 came out in early spring 2008.
Anyways Semisane was spot on. Could have shot it no problem. Before I removed the plug, I taped off the area where the hammer tilts down so no powder would get in that cavity. The powder poured out as if brand new. For those who say BH absorbs moisture like a sponge, well not in this case. Everything was cleaner than the board of health, zero corrosion. Attached are photos upon removing the plug, what a patch with a little bore cleaner on it looked like when it came out, and a picture of the plug. The threads of the plug had been teflon taped, came out like buttah. Thanks to those actually know for the advice, much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Remove Bullet & Powder-img_4984.jpg   Remove Bullet & Powder-img_4986.jpg   Remove Bullet & Powder-img_4987.jpg   Remove Bullet & Powder-img_4988.jpg  
Old 11-30-2021, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by smokey92
Baloney, the first production run of Blackhorn 209 came out in early spring 2008.
Anyways Semisane was spot on. Could have shot it no problem. Before I removed the plug, I taped off the area where the hammer tilts down so no powder would get in that cavity. The powder poured out as if brand new. For those who say BH absorbs moisture like a sponge, well not in this case. Everything was cleaner than the board of health, zero corrosion. Attached are photos upon removing the plug, what a patch with a little bore cleaner on it looked like when it came out, and a picture of the plug. The threads of the plug had been teflon taped, came out like buttah. Thanks to those actually know for the advice, much appreciated.
NOT to make any wave here, but I think the point was/is, that they didn;t make a special breech plug fort this model CVA, , nothing to do with when blackghorn 209 was made, but about the breech plug only!
as not all inline guns have breech plugs made for the blackhorn powder!

, anyhow, , I'm glad it all worked out for you

Old 11-30-2021, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

mrbb, thank you. Inlines that took shotgun primers for ignition had aftermarket plugs for BH readily available right after it came out. There was a guy here, Ron I think was his name made them too. GM 54 made it sound like BH shouldn't be used in my ML, and posted as such. This ML has had dozens of rounds fired with BH, without a hiccup. I was a fan of Pyrodex and still use it, in my TC #11 percussion cap rifle, but I have been using BH in the shotgun primer powered inlines for many years. Thanks again gents, also hope those hunting, have much success.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

mrbb, thank you. Inlines that took shotgun primers for ignition had aftermarket plugs for BH readily available right after it came out. There was a guy here, Ron I think was his name made them too. GM 54 made it sound like BH shouldn't be used in my ML, and posted as such. This ML has had dozens of rounds fired with BH, without a hiccup. I was a fan of Pyrodex and still use it, in my TC #11 percussion cap rifle, but I have been using BH in the shotgun primer powered inlines for many years. Thanks again gents, also hope those hunting, have much success.
NO problem, like I said glad your all good now

but I will add, I do know that when Blackhorn 209 first came out, they did NOT recommend it being used in many inlines, even one's that took 209 primers, I am NOT saying yours is one of them as I honestly don;t know what all ones could and could n;t use it
but I do know, there was info on the blackhorn web site when ti first came out stating NOT to use on certian guns
as I started using it when it first came out, and one of the inline I had wasn't approved for it, so I bought a new gun just to use it HAHA!
or that was my excuse any how to buy another one !!
I also never had issue's with BH 209 having mositure issue's
but we all can have different experiences, as thats just life, IMO
some like fords some like chevy's and so on<
Old 11-30-2021, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hello, earth to Smokey....Guess who tested the plugs Ron modified and tested until we found one that worked....ME, Ron and a couple other guys because sooooo many people had ignition issues with the OEM pre quick release plug. Why do you think CVA starting after 2010 offered 2 QRBPs? Here is a hint the OEM didnt work well with BH209 so they copied some things that worked on the ONLY plug what was 100% at that time....The T/C Omega plug. Two plugs were mostly used for early BH209 development. The T/C concave face Omega plug and the Savage MLII plug. No other plugs at that time were as dependable.

Secondly your naming of that CVA left something to be desired. You never said Optima Pro Magnum or whatever the actual model was. You were somewhat vague about that. Kinda hard to design a rifle for a powder that has not even come out yet huh? So tons of people were beating their heads against the wall trying to make it fire in some of the slam fire CVAs and/or rifles with a poor plug design. CVA tossed out words like Pro and Magnum on several models including rifles not well suited to BH209 at all.

Attached Thumbnails Remove Bullet &amp; Powder-117-5.jpg  

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-30-2021 at 03:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.