HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   What's going on (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/426650-whats-going.html)

bronko22000 09-10-2021 04:23 PM

What's going on

Man this time of year the members here should be posting range reports and other topics. What's going on? Seems like the forum is dying from lack of posting.

idahoron 09-14-2021 05:07 AM

I think Face Book groups are probably to blame. That and the lack of ammo. I know I am just too busy to get out and shoot anything.

Fyrstyk54 09-14-2021 07:59 AM

I too have noticed a reduction in posts regarding BP shooting. I have also noticed a significant reduction of BP shooters at my home range. Inquires have revealed that many are not shooting to preserve their limited supplies of percussion caps. I tell then to go flint. The govt. can't restrict the supply of rocks.

bronko22000 09-14-2021 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fyrstyk54 (Post 4396875)
I too have noticed a reduction in posts regarding BP shooting. I have also noticed a significant reduction of BP shooters at my home range. Inquires have revealed that many are not shooting to preserve their limited supplies of percussion caps. I tell then to go flint. The govt. can't restrict the supply of rocks.

Back towards the end of 2019 I bought a brick (1000) #11 caps. My friend that owns the gun shop said I was nuts (in a kidding way). I guess I wasn't so crazy afterall.

mrbb 09-14-2021 01:32 PM

I sadly think less and less folks are into hunting these days,
its not like yrs ago when so many looked so forward to opening days ,
people are just so busy with so many things any more, hunting has taken a back step in priority's in life,
when they HUNT when time allows or when they feel like it
the passion is just not there in very many people

too much HYPE maybe on being COOL these days , having the "X" rifle, scope gadget and blah blah to shoot from a mile away if you BUY this or that

that few seem to spend much serious time shooting, planing hunts or??

its just NOT what it used to be! IMO!

hunting lic sales are way low, as proof , its not the beloved sport it was decades ago to so many!

and if were being honest here, just look at how many LONG time hunters just DON"T hunt like they used too
there far more warmer weather hunters, , hunt PRIME lands they own or friends do, have elaborate shooting houses and tree stands over proven places, where they , mostly , just need to show up WHEN they have time too
the days of folks spending time hunting in all weather when the season was in, are pretty much over

were all becoming , a more fair weather hunters, than die hard's, again IF were being honest

us old timers, maybe its due to we , put our time in the elements and now want easier hunting

but what I SEE< in newer generations of hunters, is, they ONLY want to hunt prime lands, with top shelf gear, and spend as little time as possible to get a kill, on well groomed lands, and they want to video it all, and show everyone what they are doing!
liken they see on TV and hunting shows and video's

Fyrstyk54 09-14-2021 02:12 PM

A lot of what Mrbb says is true, but I noticed last year, with the Covid thing going on, there were far more hunters in the woods than I had seen in previous years. Possibly because they had more time on their hands. I think the numbers of hunters, especially for deer, with be up again this year due to the high meat prices.

Gm54-120 09-16-2021 06:18 AM

Our Modern Muzzle Loader forum is plenty busy. You know, when i log on here the first thing i do is see the "Who Is Online" at the bottom. Sometimes its 90% fake user names. Well when the people who can stop this dont care i just dont care to get too involved here anymore.

hometheaterman 10-30-2021 11:41 AM

I haven't posted on here in a few years and haven't been active for many years before that. For me, it's just a combination of things. As I've gotten older I've found I have a lot less time to hunt and shoot. Back when I was in college, I was shooting almost every weekend, hunting whenever I could, etc. I used to shoot my muzzle loaders quite a bit, because I enjoyed shooting them. As I've gotten older, I'm lucky if I make it to the range 3x a year. My hunting has slowed down nearly as much. I've also gotten to the point where I almost never shoot my muzzle loader for fun. When I'm already limited on time and rarely get to shoot, I've come to hate having to spend the time to clean it as soon as I get done shooting it. I'd love to get back to shooting and hunting like I used to, but it's just not in the cards right now.
​​​
I also work in the firearms industry now and I never thought I'd say this, because I used to talk about guns, hunting, etc. 24/7. However, I hear so much dumb stuff about firearms at work all day long, usually from people that have no idea what they are talking about, that when I get off I'm just kind of burnt out on talking about them.

It also became hard to decipher the bs back in the day because there were so many shills on here pushing junk. Like the guy that used to shill for Power Belt. There was also a lot of excellent information, but it was hard to tell which was which. It prompted me to learn a lot more on my own and figure out exactly what worked and didn't work for me.

So it's a combination of all of those factors that led to me visiting a lot less than I used to. I stopped in now, because I have been debating on if I want to pay the outrageous Gunbroker pricing and give a Savage ML a try. The idea of shooting smokeless powder and not having to rush to clean it that night seems attractive. So I decided to stop in and read some old threads on them. I'll admit, it's kind of cool seeing a few familiar names that are still here.