HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Lehigh/Knight problem (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/425838-lehigh-knight-problem.html)

bronko22000 05-29-2021 11:30 AM

Lehigh/Knight problem

1 Attachment(s)
I got a problem or I'm doing something wrong. I installed the Lehigh BP and bare 209 adapter in my Disc Extreme and was shooting it on Thursday up the cabin. I was shooting a 250 gr Hornady XTP .451" in a black Harvester CR sabot. It was tight. My charge was 100 gr of BH209 (70 gr by weight). After every shot I had to remove the bolt to get the primer out as it was jammed against the bolt face. After getting frustrated with this doing it about 10 times straight I tried 100 gr of Goex FFg. The primer still was sticky in the adapter but after a little jiggling it fell out. Primers look like they're exhibiting pressure but 100 gr of BH209 isn't excessive. I'm just wondering if its the Lehigh set up! I have an email into them also.
See primer pics below.

hubby11 05-29-2021 06:12 PM

I have the same set up as you except my Knight extreme is one of the older models - it still has the hex screw retaining the bolt rather than the spring release. I shoot 100-120 grains by volume of BH209. Every time I shoot, the primer (CCI Magnum 209) sticks. To get it out I have to open and close the bolt and dry fire the rifle. It's just something I got used to. Did you try a dry fire?

bronko22000 05-30-2021 05:06 AM

Yes Hubby (you got to change your name, feels weird calling you that!) I did try that. Had a long talk with a fellow member here and we narrowed it down to a breech plug issue. Going to call Lehigh on Tuesday and see chat they can do for me. I just might take a ride down to Quakertown and talk with them.

edmehlig 05-30-2021 09:54 AM

Wow, while I only shoot my homemade conicals, I never knew Lehigh Bullets were so close to me. Did you try out your paper patch bullets again?

bronko22000 05-30-2021 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by edmehlig (Post 4392259)
Wow, while I only shoot my homemade conicals, I never knew Lehigh Bullets were so close to me. Did you try out your paper patch bullets again?

no Ed. I think I'm just going to shoot them out of my GM LRH barrel. I found out on Thursday that my Encore .45 just loves 80 gr of Pyro P and a 200 gr 10mm Hornady XTP and Harvester blue CR sabot. 3 shots in 1/2" with 2 of the almost in the same hole! I was just so frustrated with the Knight that I didn't take any pics

Gm54-120 06-01-2021 07:40 AM

Never had what you are describing happen and ive had many Lehigh conversions. Worst i had was having to fire again on a spent Fed209A primer. Never an issue with a Win209. Just for giggles, check the size of the flash hole in the vent liner. Maybe you got a bad one. If its over .036 its bad. They are around .032 or less new. If you are getting between .003-.005 crush on primer this should not be happening.

sabotloader 06-01-2021 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 (Post 4392369)
Never had what you are describing happen and ive had many Lehigh conversions. Worst i had was having to fire again on a spent Fed209A primer. Never an issue with a Win209. Just for giggles, check the size of the flash hole in the vent liner. Maybe you got a bad one. If its over .036 its bad. They are around .032 or less new. If you are getting between .003-.005 crush on primer this should not be happening.

Scott, his primer pocket must have shrank during the heat treating process, which they sometimes do. With the BP out of the rifle and on his desk, if he inserts a FED 209A - presses it down tight with his thumb - he has to use a pair of pliers to get the primer back out of the pocket. With a W209 repeating the same steps, it will fall out IF he taps the BP on the top.

I believe he has a replacement BP on the way.

Gm54-120 06-01-2021 08:15 AM

Gotcha. I polish my primer pockets on most plugs i get with some compound and a Dremel or drill. I do the flash channels too. Carbon seems to stick less to a high polish.

bronko22000 06-01-2021 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 (Post 4392369)

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4392370)
Scott, his primer pocket must have shrank during the heat treating process, which they sometimes do. With the BP out of the rifle and on his desk, if he inserts a FED 209A - presses it down tight with his thumb - he has to use a pair of pliers to get the primer back out of the pocket. With a W209 repeating the same steps, it will fall out IF he taps the BP on the top.

I believe he has a replacement BP on the way.

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 (Post 4392371)
Gotcha. I polish my primer pockets on most plugs i get with some compound and a Dremel or drill. I do the flash channels too. Carbon seems to stick less to a high polish.

Yes I talked with Gordy at Lehigh and a new BP is on the way along with a return label for the one I have now. That's the kind of CS you would expect and Kudos to Lehigh Defense.
And GM, if I wasn't going to get a new BP from them that is exactly what my next step would have been. To open up the stem slightly and polish it. I have almost 1000 Federal primers which will be used in this rifle.
Its a shame I'm still waiting on my bolt and BP from Badger Ridge for my Rem 700ML. I'm hoping he soon get the springs he has on order.

sabotloader 06-01-2021 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4392404)
Yes I talked with Gordy at Lehigh and a new BP is on the way along with a return label for the one I have now. That's the kind of CS you would expect and Kudos to Lehigh Defense.
And GM, if I wasn't going to get a new BP from them that is exactly what my next step would have been. To open up the stem slightly and polish it. I have almost 1000 Federal primers which will be used in this rifle.
Its a shame I'm still waiting on my bolt and BP from Badger Ridge for my Rem 700ML. I'm hoping he soon get the springs he has on order.

That is Perfect!