Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
1st Tom with a ML--Arizona >

1st Tom with a ML--Arizona

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1st Tom with a ML--Arizona

Old 05-02-2021, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default 1st Tom with a ML--Arizona

I've been hunting both Spring and Fall for several years and have only harvested a couple of hens and a jake--all in the Fall. I've come close a time or two, but have previously failed to connect with a tom in the Spring. Yesterday, the second day of the last season, my luck changed. First morning, we heard a tom going at it almost right behind camp. But after calling to him with my glass pot call for a while, he shut up. My buddy and I trapesed around the woods all morning calling and hearing nothing. Then yesterday, I decided to ditch the pot call and try my ghost cut mouth call that I'd been trying hard to master. I'd never felt confident with the mouth call (although I'd been trying for a few years). This year, I felt like I was ready, and apparently the tom did, too. About 7:00 I leaned my ML shotgun against a tree, plopped myself in front of the tree, and started calling timidly. To my surprise, a gobbler replied immediately. I got serious, and grabbed my gun and pointed it in his direction (probably over 100 yards away). I kept calling, giving clucks and yelps that verged on kee kees. He kept on gobbling. Soon, I saw him cross an opening quite far away. I kept calling, using mostly clucks, as to not accidently make a weird sounding yelp. After loosing sight of him behind some trees, I looked over to my right and saw something red beside a tree. I thought, "that's got to be his head"! He walked further right behind the tree, and I used that opportunity to move my shotgun toward him. When he cleared the tree (at maybe 45 yards), I pulled the trigger and he went down. Quite a heavy tom with a 7" beard.
CVA Optima Pro with 12ga ML barrel
1-3/4 oz #5 magnum lead shot
BPI Multi-metal shot cup
75 grains 777
Attached Thumbnails 1st Tom with a ML--Arizona-2021turkey.jpg  
Old 05-02-2021, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Very Nice Don ! Congrats ! I know a couple guys going after turkeys this year with black powder double barrels . They actually patterned real well out to 40 yards with a modified choke. I was surprised. I think the brand name they have is Pedersoli 12ga SxS
Old 05-02-2021, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, I actually have a Pedersoli 12ga SxS with open bore...use it for quail hunting. The CVA has a Turkey Full choke and does a pretty good pattern at 45 yards.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

The black powder shotguns are getting popular again. Make for a nice traditional hunt. That said I dont think I would be fond of the flint and powder pan type.
Percussion caps for me. I dont want to go THAT traditional LOL
Old 05-02-2021, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SportsmanNH
The black powder shotguns are getting popular again. Make for a nice traditional hunt. That said I dont think I would be fond of the flint and powder pan type.
Percussion caps for me. I dont want to go THAT traditional LOL
My Pedersoli has percussion caps...CVA has 209 primer...much better!
Old 05-03-2021, 10:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats Don. Nice bird & good story.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane
Congrats Don. Nice bird & good story.
Thanks Semi!
Old 05-04-2021, 05:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes sir that's a gorgeous bird. Congratulation Don.
BTW I've heard hens in the woods that sounded horrible. They would never win a turkey calling competition! LOL

Old 05-04-2021, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Yes sir that's a gorgeous bird. Congratulation Don.
BTW I've heard hens in the woods that sounded horrible. They would never win a turkey calling competition! LOL
Thanks Bronko. I know what you mean, but I do believe my calling on the diaphragm is less repetitive than on a slate. I just get in too much of a rut with those, and I think the variety helps. Oh, and it sure was nice to have my hands free. I may not have succeeded if I had to put my call down and grab my gun.

Last edited by donw; 05-04-2021 at 10:30 AM. Reason: add last sentence
Old 05-12-2021, 07:11 PM
JW
Super Moderator

You can get 209 primer nipples for your Pedroselli.
AWESOME HUNT CONGRATULATIONS
JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.