Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
1,200 Yard Sidelock Muzzleloader (Open/Peep Sights) >

1,200 Yard Sidelock Muzzleloader (Open/Peep Sights)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1,200 Yard Sidelock Muzzleloader (Open/Peep Sights)

Old 04-15-2021, 01:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default 1,200 Yard Sidelock Muzzleloader (Open/Peep Sights)

My new .45 Cal Rice Barrel, and a new personal best Shoot with OPEN/PEEP Sights & Muzzleloader I fell in love with my 1-24 Twist .50 Cal Rice Barrel, And of course my 1:20 Twist Rice as well. In short, My Rice Barrels are my TOP DOGS 👍 I ended up ordering a .45 Cal in 1:17 Twist to go with them, A dedicated “Long Ranger“ The Barrel Showed up Friday Morning, I installed a Lee Shaver adjustable front sight, And fitted the Barrel in the same TC Hawken Stock that the 1:24 Twist .50 Cal Rice Rests in. I group shot it Saturday Morning with 2 of Favorite Long Range .45 Cal Bullets, Both BACO Ellipticals (Paper Patch, and Grease Groove) Both bullets Shot AWESOME, about 3/4 to 1” at 100 Yards. I loaded up Monday morning and headed for 1,200 Yards

The Video

After getting everything setup the Fog Rolled in and had me at a “Stand Stil“ I waited for nearly 2 Hours, it finally lifted and turned out to be a really nice Day

The Bullet i chose for this outing was my BACO .453 Elliptical, Lubed with my “Modified“ Bullshop’s NASA Lube

Barrel stil in the White, Has a total of 8 Shots fired through it at this Point (From Sighting in at 100 Yards Saturday Morning) It’s 9th Shot was at 1,200 Yards 👍

After the Shoot i came home and Cleaned the Barrel Good, Removed the Front Sight, Under Rib & Thimbles For Engraving & Hot Blueing, I just now got back with it from Engraving, Pictures aren’t the Best here and do it NO Justice, Engraving turned out AMAZING 👍 The Barrel goes for Hot Blueing in the Morning

With it‘s 1:17 Twist This is a TRUE “HOTROD Hawken“ 🙂 I decided to Name it “Eleanor” for the Shelby GT500 from the Movie “Gone in 60 Seconds”

And lastly, Here are the 2 Bullets from Both Shots in the Video above, The bullet on the left is the Shot that hit Left, it was Damaged badly on the underside from a Rock, and the Bullet on the Right is the one that Hit the Steel Plate, If anyone thinks that these BIG Lead Bullets have NOTHING left on them at 1,200 Yards, You better Re-think that 🙂 BIG Lead continues to be BAD @SS Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay Out there, Smashed Flat as a Razor, That is the Bullet Base you see, even the Sprue Cut 🙂
Old 04-15-2021, 09:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lew, I have only two words.......Holy Shieeet!

Last edited by Semisane; 04-15-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Come on now Lewis this is getting a bit crazy! I'd be lucky to see that target with the naked eye at that distance let alone hit it. And with peep sights yet! YOU DA MAN!!! You keep extending the range and you won't even have to leave the house to go hunting. LOL
I second Semisane's comment! And those bullets look great and perform nicely. What weight are they?

I'm editing this because I have a serious question. How are you able to get a steady aim shooting this far? I mean you can't possibly get a good cheek weld to the stock. Do you put your chin on it? The rear sight has to be really high.

Last edited by bronko22000; 04-15-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not ballistically possible for a black powder to reach that distance @ less than 2,000 FPS

Old 04-15-2021, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120

I am stil LOL about that, That guy obviously had NO idea the capabilities of Blackpowder & Big Lead. Truth is, MANY Don’t
Old 04-15-2021, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I didn't see that post about the ballistic impossibility! Must have gotten deleted???
Old 04-15-2021, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I timed your shot and came up with a time average of 4.5 seconds!
Pretty cool... And those Rice barrels aren't expensive at all. If I'm reading it right you can get one with the BP, 15/16" Octagon for about $300 - $350

Drop me a PM if you get a chance.

Last edited by bronko22000; 04-15-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Come on now Lewis this is getting a bit crazy! I'd be lucky to see that target with the naked eye at that distance let alone hit it. And with peep sights yet! YOU DA MAN!!! You keep extending the range and you won't even have to leave the house to go hunting. LOL
I second Semisane's comment! And those bullets look great and perform nicely. What weight are they?

I'm editing this because I have a serious question. How are you able to get a steady aim shooting this far? I mean you can't possibly get a good cheek weld to the stock. Do you put your chin on it? The rear sight has to be really high.
This was a SERIOUS Poke out there Bronko EVERYTHING has to be right to make these Shots, Seeing the Target is the Tricky Part, if i can Lock on the Target (see it well) Regardless the Yardage I can Hit it! Even a Shadow casted over the Target at this Range makes it nearly impossible to see it. On this particular shoot, The sun comes up behind me and Shines on the Target, it looked like a little Billboard Down there I could see it REALLY Well, Then a Cloud passed and it became Difficult. Like i said, EVERYTHING has to be Right for me to pull these Shots off

As for getting Steady, I can get ROCK SOLID over my Truck Hood in my Sand Bags, That’s not a problem. When shooting these Long Shots like this, Following through the Shot is CRITICAL, When i pull the Trigger I don’t BUDGE for a Few Seconds after the Shot.

Cheek weld is Tricky here, There is no such thing, Like Lee Shaver Told me when i asked him this Question Long ago, He said it’s more of a “Beard Weld” It is my Chin, and ONLY my Chin that is Touching my Stock.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane
Lew, I have only two words.......Holy Shieeet!
Semi, This is my longest attempt, I hooked up with it in just a Few Shots (7 shots Total), This was starting from SCRATCH with a BRAND New Barrel, I had no idea how Many MOA i would need to get there? It ended up being 180 from my 100 Yard Zero, which is 180 Feet at 1,200 Yards, (1 MOA at 1,200 Yards Equals 1 Foot) Pretty remarkable when you really think about what these BIG Bullets are Capable of. I have enough Sight to Get to 1 Mile (1,760 Yards) But the Target is gonna have to be MUCH Bigger in order for me to See it

I have been FASCINATED with Dave Gullo’s “Long Shot” video from my beginning in Muzzleloading, Where Ripley’s Believe it or not Filmed him down at Raton New Mexico at the NRA Whittington Center, Dave Shot a Black Balloon on the White Buffalo (Homer) at 1,123 Yards. I feel This shoot of mine Beat that, Or at least equalled it (Dave is a 2 or 3 Time World Champion)

Last edited by Idaholewis; 04-15-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I didn't see that post about the ballistic impossibility! Must have gotten deleted???
It wasn’t on here, it was some character that commented on my Video through my YouTube Channel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.