Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Accura

Old 03-16-2021, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default CVA Accura

I'm considering upgrading from my 20 plus year old Knight LK-93 with the #11 cap to a CVA Accura with the 209 primer. Any advice from the crowd? Any others I should consider? Thanks
Old 03-16-2021, 10:09 AM
Spike

What powder are you going to use? Had any problems with the #11 cap? Will the 209 primers be easier to insert than capping with a capper?
Old 03-16-2021, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

For a new Accura you are likely to spend at least $500. If I were you, I would first look again at Knight. According to their website you can pick up a Disc Extreme on sale for $350. That is a very good rifle. For another $50-100 you can pick up a conversion breech plug so you don't need the plastic discs, and you have a very, very good rifle.

Nothing against the Accura, but I think the Knight Extreme is a better muzzleloader.

Last edited by hubby11; 03-19-2021 at 05:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-2021, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Lehigh bare primer plug for the Knight DISC Extreme is under $50 shipped. So total (with shipping) you would have about $450 in a DISC Extreme with a Timney trigger and Made in the USA. If you want a cheaper rifle look at the CVA Optima V2. Its well under $300 and a good rifle for that kinda money.
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/produc...-muzzleloader/

You need both of these parts to convert the Extreme to bare primer. About $31 + around $8 to ship. Add another $22 if you want a extra pack of vent liners and you are set for many years of shooting.
https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.co...product_id=258
https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.co...product_id=259

4 extra vent liners. The breech plug comes with one.
https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.co...product_id=282

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-18-2021 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

I'm currently using 80 grains of loose 777 and either a 220 Grain Dead Center bullet or a 240 grain Extreme Elite bullet, both from Precision Rifle.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, that's definitely some food for thought. I was really shying away from the plastic jackets. I do love my Knight. The accuracy with the Green Mountain Barrel is almost unbelievable!

Once concern I have is the possible demise of Knight ML's. I see so little from them anymore. It concerns me that they might disappear before long?? Is there any insight in the Muzzleloading world concerning this?
Old 03-19-2021, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by gt2003
I'm considering upgrading from my 20 plus year old Knight LK-93 with the #11 cap to a CVA Accura with the 209 primer. Any advice from the crowd? Any others I should consider? Thanks
You will like the Accura over the Knight for sure. Night and day difference. I have a CVA Optima (1 model level below Accura) and I also have a Knight lk-93 converted to 209 primers. The Knight shoots great but its a pain in the butt compared to the optima to load. The Accura is a upgrade to the Optima and I have gotten 1" groups with my Optima using blackhorn powder and 240g XTP bullets. I would expect the same or better from the Accura. If you get one with a kronos scope plan on upgrading it. They don't take bumps to well.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

A DISC Extreme is nothing like a LK. It has an actual firing pin and a closed breech ignition. Far nicer stock, recoil pad and fully adjustable real Timney trigger. I would not even consider an Accura unless it was a MR or maybe a PR model. Cant imagine how its a pain to load. Ive been loading DISC based Knights for ages with no problems. Add the Lehigh bare primer kit and its simple to make the breech stay nearly spotless. Very BH209 powder friendly too. Works great even with a standard Win209. No mag primer needed. Been using them for years in Lehigh plugs and not a single FTF.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-19-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

gt2003, as GMhas indicated I would suggest you take a look at the Knight DISC Extreme. This rifle is a big advancement beyond the LK. With this rifle you can use different ignition systems including the 209 and it can be made to to have a clean breech are after shooting. The LK was never really design to shoot with 209 ignition. Also with the DISC you can shoot any of the BP's and BP subs you choose.

I would suggest if you were to consider the DISC order it with Red Plastic Jacket ignition and then convert that to the Lehigh breech plug, vent liner, and Primer adapter.

This is my Western Version of the DISC

The rifle shoots awesome!

Same rifle set up as for regular rifle season.

This pic shows the rifle with primer adapter installed.

This pic with the primer dropped in to the Primer Adapter.

When you get the rifle setup complete - this is what the spent primers look like.

Old 03-20-2021, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
A DISC Extreme is nothing like a LK. It has an actual firing pin and a closed breech ignition. Far nicer stock, recoil pad and fully adjustable real Timney trigger. I would not even consider an Accura unless it was a MR or maybe a PR model. Cant imagine how its a pain to load. Ive been loading DISC based Knights for ages with no problems. Add the Lehigh bare primer kit and its simple to make the breech stay nearly spotless. Very BH209 powder friendly too. Works great even with a standard Win209. No mag primer needed. Been using them for years in Lehigh plugs and not a single FTF.
My LK-93 converted to 209 primers is a pain to load because it requires the red plastic jacket so I need the tool they make to easily load and unload the jacketed primer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.