HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Muzzleloader Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/424644-muzzleloader-question.html)

jnicholes 12-17-2020 08:05 PM

Muzzleloader Question

Hi everyone, I just have a quick question. I am planning on saving up to get a muzzleloader. I have already asked if it was worth it, and I got many good answers.

In my state, There are specific regulations for muzzleloaders. However, I have no idea where to start on how to use them. Here’s my question. For the state of Idaho, or in general, is there such a thing as a muzzleloader education class? Just to get me familiar with the firearm and how to use it?

I’m not finding anything on Idaho fish and game.

Any help with this will be appreciated, Jared

Wingbone 12-18-2020 12:55 AM

Youtube is your friend.

dustyr 12-18-2020 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by jnicholes (Post 4385231)
Hi everyone, I just have a quick question. I am planning on saving up to get a muzzleloader. I have already asked if it was worth it, and I got many good answers.

In my state, There are specific regulations for muzzleloaders. However, I have no idea where to start on how to use them. Here’s my question. For the state of Idaho, or in general, is there such a thing as a muzzleloader education class? Just to get me familiar with the firearm and how to use it?

where do you live

jnicholes 12-18-2020 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by dustyr (Post 4385242)
where do you live

I live in Boise. Why do you ask?

GOOD OLE BOY 12-18-2020 10:21 AM

Probably because he is goin to advise you about locating a local sportsman club or maybe a local branch of the National Muzzleloaders Assn.to help you out.

jnicholes 12-18-2020 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by GOOD OLE BOY (Post 4385269)
Probably because he is goin to advise you about locating a local sportsman club or maybe a local branch of the National Muzzleloaders Assn.to help you out.

thanks. I was just asking for clarification.

hunters_life 12-18-2020 12:20 PM

IdahoRon is a member here and quite an artist when it comes to shooting front stuffers. I would suggest getting in touch with him seeing as he is also in Idaho so not only within your state but also very familiar with your states hunting regulations so he could advise you on your front stuffer purchase. I have been shooting smokers for a little over 4 decades and am highly familiar with them. I have seen some of Ron's shooting and the man knows his stuff.

idahoron 12-19-2020 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by hunters_life (Post 4385274)
IdahoRon is a member here and quite an artist when it comes to shooting front stuffers. I would suggest getting in touch with him seeing as he is also in Idaho so not only within your state but also very familiar with your states hunting regulations so he could advise you on your front stuffer purchase. I have been shooting smokers for a little over 4 decades and am highly familiar with them. I have seen some of Ron's shooting and the man knows his stuff.

Thank you for the vote of confidence.

idahoron 12-19-2020 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by jnicholes (Post 4385231)

I actually go over muzzleloaders in my Hunters Ed that I teach. It is not required for a teacher to provide though. I would be glad to help you. I'm in the Twin Falls area. After hunting season is over if you are willing to make the drive I would be glad to take you to the range with my rifles and let you test them and see what you like and answer any questions you might have.

Bocajnala 12-20-2020 06:00 AM

J, there's a few guys on here that when they talk on certain subjects- it's best to listen. Ron is one of those guys. And luckily for you he's fairly close and a willing teacher. And a successful muzzleloader hunter.

Take advantage of the opportunity some time!

-Jake

bronko22000 12-20-2020 12:21 PM

Yea Ron, when we teach our Hunter Ed class I'm the one that does the teaching for both archery and muzzleloading.
I usually get a laugh from the students because I try to lighten the mood before I get serious on the dangers of black powder and subs. I have a "dummy" muzzleloader and my possibles bag when I get in front of the class.
I begin my stating all the necessary items you need for muzzleloader hunting and proceed to empty my possibles bag. I usually have a few candy bars I pull out first, then some jerky and always, as I say the most important item, a small roll of toilet paper! I emphasize never go hunting without it! This usually gets a chuckle from the class.

jnicholes 12-20-2020 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by idahoron (Post 4385315)
I actually go over muzzleloaders in my Hunters Ed that I teach. It is not required for a teacher to provide though. I would be glad to help you. I'm in the Twin Falls area. After hunting season is over if you are willing to make the drive I would be glad to take you to the range with my rifles and let you test them and see what you like and answer any questions you might have.

thank you for being willing to help. I sent you several PMs already. Let me know when you’re hunting season is over, and I will see if I can make the trip. Fortunately, it’s two hours for me.

duck and goose, which is my primary hunting target, ends sometime in January I think. I’ll have to check.

idahoron 12-21-2020 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by jnicholes (Post 4385350)
thank you for being willing to help. I sent you several PMs already. Let me know when you’re hunting season is over, and I will see if I can make the trip. Fortunately, it’s two hours for me.

duck and goose, which is my primary hunting target, ends sometime in January I think. I’ll have to check.

Yes lets look at February the earliest. Your going to get a kick out of shooting a gong at 200 yards with a traditional gun.