Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Muzzleloader. Is it worth it? >

Muzzleloader. Is it worth it?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader. Is it worth it?

Old 12-01-2020, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

The muzzleloader I have my eye on at Cabelas is a “traditions buckstalker northwest” muzzleloader.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

This one.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/trad...etimber-kanati
Old 12-01-2020, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Im biased here. I do most all of my big game hunting with a front stuffer. Have quite a few of them but do use an old TC renegade primarily. These new inline breeds are an amazing feat of technology but out to 100 yards my old rene will shoot with the best of these new pups. Yes cleanup is much more detailed with muzzleloading rifles but it really is worth it. Some try to say shooting them is expensive and, while it can be, so can shooting any center fire. If you don't reload center fires you are in for a chunk for factory ammo nowadays. Out of curiosity, I was looking the other day at some 7mm.08 ammo for the twins rifles and about choked. Glad the old man taught me how to reload. Since you cant use 209 shotgun primers then Blackhorn 209 powder is out of the question. Percussion caps will set it off but not reliably. Thats pretty much the only black powder sub I recommend. If you do go down the Muzzle hole, Check out Swiss powder. It is without a doubt the most consistent powder on the market. There is a lot to learn with front stuffers but thats part of the fun. I've been shooting them for several decades and still learn something new all the time. It's really not about how much money you can sink into one, but how much time you can sink into what you get. Start out with a good intro rifle and you may still be shooting that old girl 40+ years later at whitetail.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I was getting a Northwest-compliant ML right now, I'd pick up this, a Knight Bighorn Muzzleloader on sale for $270 (ex $650). A very solid gun. The only downside is it is a .52 caliber and not a .50. Finding .52 caliber conicals would definitely be more challenging, but not impossible.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

Now that's a deal!

Without knowing your state regulations....
The typical "advantages" to muzzleloader hunting is the extra season opportunities and easier tags to get.

Ex. Here in Ohio we have a late muzzleloader season for four days in January. PA has an early muzzleloader season as well as a late flintlock season. Some states have easier draw tags for muzzleloaders. Earlier seasons, can hunt elk while they're still bugling, deer in the rut, etc.

Some people like to hunt with muzzleloaders during regular firearms season. They either like the gun, like the added challenge, enjoy the traditional aspect of it, many reasons.

I got into muzzleloader hunting for the additional opportunities to be in the woods. And it's gotten me several deer already and my wife got a nice big doe during PAs early season as well. (She likes hunting in the warmer October weather).

-Jake
Old 12-02-2020, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

that is fine muzzleloader & it won't break the bank. there is one other muzzy you should look at & that would the thompson center impact sb which stands for speed breech. i own them both along with 4 other muzzleloader loaders. i use the buckstalker more. but the t/c comes in a close second. i think the t/c is built just a little better. but both have a lifetime warrranty you need to shoulder both & maybe some others to find out which fits you better.muzzleloading is just a blast to get into. i believe i use my muzzleloaders more than i do my center fire rifles. & yes it definetly worth getting into. i'm sorry i looked at your regulations & 209 primers are not allowed. so i would defently go with a bulk stalker with the percussion caps

Last edited by t.shaffer; 12-02-2020 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

Also...as with anything... You can do it as casually or as hardcore as you want.

I kept it very simple. Bought a cheap cva wolf $50 at a garage sale. Ended up finding another wolf for $75. These both had useable scopes on them.

I tried one load that gave me 3" groups at 100 yards out of both rifles, and that's what I use. I've taken several deer and my wife has taken 1. These rifles serve their purpose well and I don't have much time or money tied up in it. Just take them into the woods and shoot critters.

Some of our muzzleloader guys have hundreds of hours and lots of $$$$ in their rifles. Just depends how deep into the hole you want to go. When my kids are older I will spend some time and money getting into a good flintlock for PAs late season. But with little kids at home, just no time right now.

-Jake
Old 12-02-2020, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jnicholes
Hey everyone, I’m a duck and goose hunter from South Idaho. I’m also a deer and bear hunter. I am posting here because I’m debating on whether I should buy a muzzleloader or not. However, I’m not sure if it’s worth it or not.

I have no experience whatsoever with muzzleloaders, so this is completely new to me.

My goal is to get experience with many different types of firearms, and then figure out what works best for me when I’m in the field hunting. I know how to use shotgun and rifle, but not muzzleloader and archery. These are the two I want to learn

Muzzleloaders are allowed in my state, but they have specific regulations. I’ll have to look into that. Can someone give me advice? Is it worth it to get a muzzleloader? Any help will be appreciated, Jared
I am in Southern Idaho. I hunt almost 100% with a muzzleloader for big game. I have been hunting with them for 40 years. I have killed some pretty good animals with mine. That said our state F&G is not doing well with managing our state right now in my opinion.
A great gun to hunt Idaho with is a Knight MK85. I have a couple of them that I use from time to time on certain hunts. This rifle is Idaho legal.

I mostly use a more traditional rifle. Here are my Renegades.

This is my Hawken

Our laws for muzzleloader are not that hard to figure out. If you need help I would be glad to assist you with it.
Here are a few of the animals I have taken with mine.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by idahoron
I am in Southern Idaho. I hunt almost 100% with a muzzleloader for big game. I have been hunting with them for 40 years. I have killed some pretty good animals with mine. That said our state F&G is not doing well with managing our state right now in my opinion.
A great gun to hunt Idaho with is a Knight MK85. I have a couple of them that I use from time to time on certain hunts. This rifle is Idaho legal.

I mostly use a more traditional rifle. Here are my Renegades.

This is my Hawken

Our laws for muzzleloader are not that hard to figure out. If you need help I would be glad to assist you with it.
Here are a few of the animals I have taken with mine.

Wow. I did not expect to run into another Idaho hunter here! It’s a small world! Thanks for the advice on the muzzleloader rifle. I’ll look into the one you recommended. Those are some nice kills! So far in my life, when it comes to big game, I’ve only taken two deer, one Whitetail in North Idaho, and one mule in south Idaho. I have also taken one black bear in South Idaho.

makes me wonder if a muzzleloader can take down a black bear. I honestly don’t know.

thanks for the help.

Jared
Old 12-02-2020, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only problem with the BigHorn 52 is finding 52cal conicals. Sabots you can always get from Knight. Its a excellent caliber actually. Parker sells conicals for it and there was a Ebay seller that had a few much cheaper. Dan at Bullshop can also probably come up with something.

You could not give me a Traditions. You can buy a CVA cheaper with a stainless barrel. Not some unknown steel alloy treated with nitride or Cerakote. Chromoly what?...IF you are so proud of the metal, state what kind of CMv it is. There are many chromoly steels. If its 4140 then say so. Knight does with the Vision.

Neither one is all that easy to cleanup in PACNW configuration. The internals that are hard to reach load up with crud from #11 or musket cap blowby. At least the Knight comes totally apart with 2 tools and every part is easy to inspect once you are done cleaning.

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/brand...est-legal.html

Last edited by Gm54-120; 12-02-2020 at 07:18 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.