HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Kids will be kids (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/424233-kids-will-kids.html)

bronko22000 10-17-2020 08:44 AM

Kids will be kids

Took my grandson out today just as it was breaking light and put him in a good location with his crossbow. He has a couple seasons under his belt so I knew he would be OK until I came back to pick him up.
As I still hunted down the old strip mine road I saw a nice fat doe feeding maybe 80 or so yards out unaware of my presence. I eased down onto my knee and cocked the hammer of my .58 Renegade and pulled the set trigger. As I started to line up the sights for a shot I heard on the radio "Pap". The doe raised her head and looked in my direction. I was just about to squeeze off the shot when on the radio again "there's a porcupine coming down the tree next to me". At that the doe whirled around and was gone in a flash. After I made my muzzy safe I got on the radio and said "well I guess you better get out of his way". I then told him I would be right back up to him.
What a gorgeous morning to be out. We had fun and a good laugh. And isn't that what its all about anyway?

sabotloader 10-17-2020 09:55 AM

:) :) :) Still gotta be fun!

Bocajnala 10-17-2020 05:09 PM

Yep. Enjoying that experience with the grandson will count more than another doe ever will. Glad you guys are getting out.

​​​​​​-Jake

edmehlig 10-18-2020 03:51 AM

Clem, that's funny, but like you said you both got a good laugh out of it and you got to spend time with your grandson. I took my one young grandson out yesterday afternoon as he had football game in the morning. At 6:10 a very young doe came up through the woods at stopped broadside at 25 yards. My grandson looked at her and then turned around to me and said "she's too small GrandPa", and let her walk away. I was very proud of him!

t.shaffer 10-18-2020 08:38 AM

clem i remember when i first started hunting deer on my 12 birthday. my dad & older brother were out in the rain & sitting & waiting for deer & i'm telling you a big buck came out of the pines & i hollered "DAD" look at that big buck. it was only 30 yrds from me & maybe 50 yrds from my dad& it took off like a bat out of hell. was my dad ever p***sed. my dad said that was the biggest buck he had ever seen. but my uncle andy shot it about 300 yrds from where we were. it was a 16 pt buck & probably weighed near 250 lbs.. my dad & i still laughed about that until he passed away in 1996. but i was also tols to keep my mouth shut from that point on . i would give up allot of things to be able to hunt with my dad all over again. i glad clem you were able to get out for the early muzzy season. my brother got out & seen 2 n ice 8 pointers. but it's anterless deer only & seen a bear around 200 yrds away for a few seconds & said it was a good size bear. said it went over 400 lbs.

Oldtimr 10-18-2020 12:28 PM

You are lucky, I lost my grandson to college. He can't get home to hunt.

idahoron 10-18-2020 07:20 PM

That's a hoot.