Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My 2020 elk hunt

Old 10-10-2020, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My 2020 elk hunt

I drew my first ML bull tag this year. I'm just not the lucky kind I guess it took about 20 years to get it.

Well I went on opening day Oct 1st. I fell and I was sure that I was not going to be finishing the season again all the luck of a run over snake.

But my son Jacob got me out today.

We went to a place I have seen a lot of elk but it is wide open and not much cover. We didn't see anything until 2:00 pm. We drove around a corner and there were two bulls on the side of the hill. They took off running and went into a creek. One bull the biggest one took off across the desert the other stayed in the trees. I got out and followed him into the trees. I found him, but didn't get a shot. Jacob went down the creek and saw him again, and we lost him. We decided that Jacob was going to try to push him out of the trees. We were wondering why this bull didn't follow the other one.

Well Jacob saw him and waved me to go around in front of him. I got to the BLM fence and started to make my way to the bull. Then he came out in the open. He wasn't limping but he wasn't running either.

I decided that something was wrong with him and decided to take him anyway.

This picture he is in the center, Right before I shot.

I took a range on him, it was 248 yards. This was a lot farther than I normally shoot at game with the first shot but knowing that something wasn't right I decided to go for it. I set the sight and held for a high shoulder shot.

At the shot the bull folded right there.

Jacob was watching and he said he saw the bulls legs pull up and down he went. Then he heard the shot.

We went to work getting him quartered to pack. I did the cutting and Jacob did the hauling.

The only load I carried was the head. He is a great young man.

We found the bullet. It had broken the shoulder and took out the spine. Jacob found it as he picked up the shoulder and it landed on his boot.

The bullet lost only 4 grains. I was impressed with that.

Rifle-- TC Hot Rod Renegade 50

bullet-- 458 gr paper patched lee 500 S&W bullet I make my self sized for my gun

Powder-- 80 gr of Pyrodex P with an over powder wad.

The bull had scratches on the inside of his hind legs. It appeared he had been in a fight with a lion at some point. All the meat was good and everything was fine.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats Ron! That's a good looking bull.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Congrats Ron! That's a good looking bull.

Thanks!! It was a bunch of fun with my son there.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

I can imagine. It looks like you were in Southern Idaho for the hunt.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I can imagine. It looks like you were in Southern Idaho for the hunt.
Yes we were
Old 10-11-2020, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on a very nice bull ! A great hunt for you and your son !

I am surprised that you were only using 80 gr of pyrodex powder pushing a 458 grain projectile.
I always used 90 gr of pyrodex by volume shooting a 350 gr TC maxihunter bullet out of my TC White Mountain Carbine.

I have a TC Hawken that I use 90gr of pyrodex and a 375 gr TC maxiball and almost switched to 100 gr of powder thinking 90gr is not enough.
I guess I would be wrong looking at your bullet performance with 80gr of pyrodex pushing an even heavier 458 gr bullet out to 250 yards.
My shots would all be less than 100 yards . You made one helluva shot ! Congrats !

Last edited by SportsmanNH; 10-11-2020 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty sure his Renny and Hawkens are fast twist barrels. Not the standard 1-48s.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats to you on a fine bull and a great shot
and sounds like you helped save a elk of maybe a slower passing too,
Old 10-11-2020, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

Congratulation, it was a phenomenal shot!

Last edited by arcticap; 10-11-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

Old School baby!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.