HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Borescope Pics Of Over Powder Wads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/423046-borescope-pics-over-powder-wads.html)

Idaholewis 03-20-2020 09:27 AM

Borescope Pics Of Over Powder Wads

I was Loading up to Foul my Bore and decided this would be a good time to Show the Over Powder Wad On top of the Powder Charge

First up is the .460 Diameter Nitro Card by Circle Fly, they are THICK at 0.135, my Bore is .450, .458 Groove. This thing should be sealing up REALLY good, but it sure doesn’t look it? Look in the Land/Groove Corners of this Square Cut Rifling, See the Gap? I would think That would allow Gas LEAKAGE upon initial Touch off? Maybe it would “Bump up” Immediately, I can only Speculate? I am NOT a Fan of this one at all

Next up is Oversize Wool, this is a .50 Cal Wool Wad in my .45 Cal Rifle, .450 Bore, .458 Groove. This 1/8” Thick Wool Felt are the OP Wads I ABSOLUTELY Swear by! I have my BEST Luck with these, They Seal the Bore GOOD N TIGHT, and Release from the Bullet Base IMMEDIATELY upon Exiting, And Being Soft, they are Forgiving. This Stuff is HANDS DOWN my Favorite Over Powder Wad Material!

Last, and the Most impressive “looking” is the .060 Thick LDPE (Low Density Poly Ethylene) Look how this Wad is “BIT IN” the Land/Grooves, especially the Corners. These things Seal the Bore/Grooves (Square Cut Rifling) REALLY GOOD N TIGHT. I need to Tinker with these Some more. I can make these in .030, and .060 Thickness, I have a BUNCH of Bulk Material, and Press Mounted Wad Punches

sabotloader 03-20-2020 10:28 AM

I use the Nitro card a lot, mostly for protection of the bottom of the bullet from the heat generated by T7 or BH. They really work well for me when shooting the 460 BullShop. One thing that I found that I need to do is wipe the base of the bullet off so the wad does not adhere to the base of the bullet. I have recovered spent wads and the land markings on the edges a very visible. I really think the in combination with the heat, pressure build, and the obturation of the bullet the wads do seal very well.

BuckDoeHunter 03-20-2020 11:13 AM

Good pics! Thanks for posting them.

hunters_life 03-20-2020 08:23 PM

I've always been under the impression that felt/wool wads did very little, if anything, to create a seal for gasses. They are mainly to help keep the gunpowder in place and create a bit of an initial cushion to allow that split second for pressure buildup to create bullet obturation. Felt or wool couldn't seal against the pressures created by gunpowder explosion.

bronko22000 03-21-2020 07:05 PM

I would believe the LDPE wads would provide the best gas seal. I do also believe the wool wads with a bullet lube would also provide an adequate seal as it pushes against the base of the bullet. At least to the point where the bullet base obturatses and remain as a cushion protecting the base of the bullet from the hot gases. We all are aware that a damaged bullet base has a substantial effect on accuracy.

Idaholewis 03-24-2020 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4372467)
We all are aware that a damaged bullet base has a substantial effect on accuracy.

No, actually ALL of you are NOT, until i STRESSED, and Preached the importance of it. Some of you knew, but DEFINITELY NOT ALL of ya

Like the Bore/Groove Diameter Deal we went through, Some of you had NO IDEA :)