Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Traditions Nitrofire? >

Traditions Nitrofire?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Nitrofire?

Old 02-06-2020, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Traditions Nitrofire?

HAs anyone seen this new Muzzleloader or the Federal Firestick powder charges?
Old 02-06-2020, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Angry

Originally Posted by Remnard
It looks like a bad copy of one of the better break actions and it loads a shell that looks like a shotgun shell from the breach which makes it a cartridge gun in this state even though the bullet is loaded from the muzzle.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:20 PM
Spike

I just saw the video for the Firestick ignition system on the Traditions muzzle loader.
To me it's a nice idea but you have to give up a lot in order to go that route. You have to give up the ability to fine tune the charge to fit your guns accuracy, you will have to give up the ability to try a different manufacturer's powder, you will have to buy from Federal at their prices(I hear is going to be $25 for ten shots) You will have to buy a new Traditions muzzleloader & teach yourself a new way of loading. That's quite a bit to rework a gun type that really didn't have that much problems with it.

But on the other hand what do you gain? You gain not having to measure powder, & not having a chance of it getting wet. You gain quicker/safer unload & reload in case you need to climb down from a stand or over a fence.
I don't have a problem with my powder getting wet because I put a piece of tape over the end of my barrel & to make my muzzleloader safe I remove the primer to climb out of my stand or over any fence.
To me it is just more reinventing the wheel type of thing, for a system that wasn't broke to start with.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

As I believe I understand it, the ATF will require a 4473 with the rifle. Most states will consider it a breech loader.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have not had the opportunity to use the word asinine in quite a while and then, just like that, here it is. Thanks Traditions.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:43 AM
Spike

I appreciate your candor
asinine 'bout sums it up
Old 02-11-2020, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Remnard
At least according to Virginia state law, this is not a muzzleloader.

Va Code, Title 29.1. Game, Inland Fisheries and Boating » Chapter 1. Administration of Game and Inland Fisheries » Article 1. General Provisions » § 29.1-100. Definitions
"Muzzleloading rifle" means a muzzleloader firing a single projectile that is loaded along with the propellant from the muzzle of the gun.
"Muzzleloading shotgun" means a muzzleloader with a smooth bore firing multiple projectiles that are loaded along with the propellant from the muzzle of the gun.

Legalities aside, I agree with others, it's just a stupid concept. They are selling the idea that muzzleloading can be easy - just throw in bullet and a pre-measured powder pack and boom.

But I will hold of complete dismissal until someone can do some unbiased shooting.