Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
GOEX vs Pyrodox Shelf Life and Performance >

GOEX vs Pyrodox Shelf Life and Performance

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

GOEX vs Pyrodox Shelf Life and Performance

Old 02-02-2020, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default GOEX vs Pyrodox Shelf Life and Performance

I'll try and make this short. Since I now again will be using My Tennessee Mountain Rifle for some Hunting I'm looking to go back to GOEX FFFG as it shot this powder well with 90grs and a .490 Round Ball and .015 Patches. Well GOEX is hard to find and our local Bass Pro/Cabela's only carries Pyrodox and the other substitutes. I used to use Pyrodox RS in My Accura but I tried 2 50gr Pyrodox Pellets and it shot that so well I have since stayed with it. This past Season I bought some OLD Pyrodox Pellets and the second day of the season a beautiful 140-150 Class 8pt was following a Doe, I mouth bleated and stopped him broadside at 30yds, I shot and when I did all I heard was "PHHHHFFFFFFOOOOOFFF" I was like WTH was that, the Buck looked around, trotted back 30yds stopped looked around and than ran back after the Doe and down the ravine, I was Shocked and Depressed. I never had a problem with Pyrodox Pellets before. When I got home I noticed the back of the Pyrodox Pellets Box said 2017, and this was 2019. Old Pellets and probably not stored good caused me this Bad Day. I went and got a New box the next day from Cabela's and the rest of my season went well. I Vacuum Sealed the box and Primers twice for next season which I may or may not use but I want to be sure My New one's will work as I only use maybe 10 Pellets all season and the other 90 or so never get used, so if next year I buy a new box at least I'll have a good piece of mind and the extra $35 will be well worth it. Now to the GOEX FFFG vs Pyrodox RS Powders. If I buy a new bottle of the RS will it be any good next November or be junk like the old pellets I got this year? or should I wait and buy one then to sight in My Side Hammer as I really won't shoot it much as My Accura is my go to Muzzleloader. And what do all of you like better the Real Black Powder GOEX or the Pyrodox Substitutes? for Percussion Side Hammers? Will GOEX last longer than Pyrodox? I know I never had a problem with old GOEX but what is the shelf life for it when stored properly? As for the Pyrodox I'll never trust it again if it's not New. As for cleaning I don't see a difference between real BP and Pyrodox, When I used the GOEX FFFG out of my side hammer I had tight groups, how would the Pyrodox RS compare, has anyone had experience with the 2? Should I try and find some GOEX FFFG or try the Pyrodox RS? neither will be used up in a season as I'll only use the Side Hammer a few times in the season, so I'll try and store the rest, so should I go with GOEX for better storage or go with Pyro RS and just buy new each year? If you had a choice what would you use in your percussion side hammer? As I will use the regular Pyro Pellets in My Accura.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry about the Post, I can't figure out how to make Paragraphs, I tried everything, what key do I use? Thank's And I know I talk too much
Old 02-02-2020, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Goex black powder has an unlimited shelf life if kept in a cool dry place in its original container. As for Pyrodex, the loose powder should hold up just as well if properly stored, but i have heard that it will lose its potency over a few years. I cannot attest to that, as I only use real black powder. You might want to check out any local hunting clubs in your area about getting real black powder. At my club, we pool together our order to Maine Powder House. If we order 25# or more we get the shipping and haz-mat fees free.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Thank's And I know I talk too much
LOL.....Never any trouble with Goex. I keep it in my gun room in the original containers and in an old steel tool box. Come to think of it I never had an issue with Pyrodex either. I've never been fond of pellets made by anyone.
If your rifle shot good with Goex FFFg why not give Pyrodex P a shot? Its finer than RS and may shoot good out of your caplock.

Old 02-02-2020, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not many BP Shooters here, mostly Rifle during Gun Seasons, but there is a-lot of Late MLer Season Hunters who mostly use Pellets. There not like me who Love My MLer and uses it through all Gun Seasons. I'm thinking of getting some Pyrodex Select as it compares to GOEX FFFG and My Tennessee Mountain Rifle likes GOEX FFFG the best..I'll find and get some GOEX FFFG, I was just looking to see if anyone else likes Pyrodex Powder as much as Real BP and if they had any storage problems with the Pyrodex. Thanks
Old 02-02-2020, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was going to tell you that I could buy some Goex for you and meet you but you're a 3 hour drive from where I would have met you!
Old 02-02-2020, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going with Pyrodex "P" just sent my buddy to Cabela's as he was going there anyway, I told him if they were out of it to get me Pyrodex "Select" The only time I ever had a issue with Pyrodex is this last Season when I bought a new "I thought" box of Pellets and then that's when I got the "PPPHHHFFFFTTTT" and missed a great Buck. I always used Pyrodex RS in My CVA Accura 110grs and never had a problem, but then I tried the Regular Pyrodex 50gr Pellets "2" out of it and they shot Great, so good that I've been using them ever since. From now on I'm going to use my Vacuum Sealer to seal ALL My Powders from now on in the off Season. And as I stated below, I'm going to Keep My Powder Dry and Trust in GOD I'm also having him get me some CCI No11 Caps in case the "Mag Spark" System doesn't work out for me, the GOEX FFFG always shot great with No11 Caps, but I did have a few Miss Fires with them on those Wet Rainy Wet Snowy Days no matter how hard I tried to keep everything dry.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

After this last Season when I bought a Bad Batch of Pyrodex Pellets I made sure that if I was going to store them until next Season that they would be well sealed. So I double Vacuum Sealed My Pellets, Primers and left over Loads I had prepared. If this doesn't keep them good nothing will.
Attached Thumbnails GOEX vs Pyrodox Shelf Life and Performance-006-640x480-.jpg   GOEX vs Pyrodox Shelf Life and Performance-007-640x480-.jpg  
Old 02-02-2020, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Sorry about the Post, I can't figure out how to make Paragraphs, I tried everything, what key do I use? Thank's And I know I talk too much
You don't talk too much Breechplug, you just talk too fast.

Paragraph breaks are simple. Simply tap the Enter key twice as I did after typing the sentence above. Breaks do make for easier reading.

Regarding shelf life of GOEX vs. Pyrodex. Real black powder is a mixture of three stable elements that do not degrade. Pyrodex is a compound of whatever stuff they make it from.

A
mixture is the physical combination of substances, bonded together in any proportion. A compound is the chemical combination of elements, bonded together in specific proportion. As such, compounds may degrade while mixtures do not degrade if the mixed substances are stable.

Last edited by Semisane; 02-02-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's for the offer bronko but I found some GOEX 3FFF at "Tall Tales" Sporting Goods in Russell PA. about a 50 minute drive from me, think maybe later today while the weather's been so nice this Winter I'll take a drive and get me some, they show they have 2 Bottles. I wish it was more available around here like it used to be. I'm probably even going to put it in one of my old GOEX 3FFF Can's, they look so much better than the new plastic one's.
Attached Thumbnails GOEX vs Pyrodox Shelf Life and Performance-003-640x480-.jpg   GOEX vs Pyrodox Shelf Life and Performance-002-640x480-.jpg   GOEX vs Pyrodox Shelf Life and Performance-004-1280x960-.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.