Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Has innovation gone too far? >

Has innovation gone too far?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Has innovation gone too far?

Old 01-24-2020, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Default Has innovation gone too far?

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/content/articles/deer-hunting-gear/this-is-a-muzzleloading-game-changer

I'm not a purist by any means and I'm all for new products, and new designs etc. I shoot an inline cause it gives me some extra days in the woods. And I was able to get into it cheaply.

I've always been interested in muzzleloaders though. And I'm especially interested in PAs late flintlock only season and have tagged along with others a few times. But can't justify the cost and the time when I've got three young kiddos at home

But take a look at this.
"Federal Premium FireStick is a part of a whole new muzzleloader system that uses a primer inserted into an encapsulated powder charge. In other words, it’s a premeasured self-contained powder charge."

Sounds like a rifle to me.

-Jake
Old 01-24-2020, 07:12 PM
Spike

I’m no purist as well with two side locks and two inlines one with a scope. I suppose manufacturers are looking for the next thing to drive revenue.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

love muzzleloading hunting. i think it's the best season out there for deer. i think i would be interested in buying this muzzleloader for ohio. yes i agree it is like a rifle & yes you must fill out a 4473 form. . just wondering how many states will ban this new style muzzleloader?. hey it would be fun to use. msrp price is around 573 kinda expensive. plus the load would cost you 2.70 each shot plus the primer & bullet. but probably the last muzzleloader i would have to buy.could be a up coming retirement present to my self
Old 01-25-2020, 05:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

This idea was likely thought of buy someone in the engineering/design office thing about ways to utilize premeasured charges like the old paper charges or expanding on the system that uses pistol cases and primers. It sure would save on time reloading. Personally I don't think its going to last. I don't believe many will go for the idea or the cost. Those Firesticks are a one time use and I imagine will be quite expensive. I for one would not even look into buying one.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

$2.70 per shot just for the powder
Probably a smokeless propellant they are trying to keep under wraps because its not going to be offered loose.
Wont be legal in any state that wont allow pellets and requires loading ONLY from the muzzle like mine.

$500+ for a form 4473 muzzleloader....Why bother when you can convert a CVA Hunter 45/70 to a ML for that $$$$s and shoot projectiles MUCH faster for MUCH less per shot?
Old 01-25-2020, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

As I said on another forum, "with this current trend, I will not be surprised if game managers in the states that have muzzle loading seasons go back to requiring "primitive side lock firearms and their reproductions"." Wouldn't bother me if they did, cause I hunt with a flint lock. Just too old fashioned i guess.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

yeah got me wondering now how long will this last ? could be another savage ml deal out there lasted about 5 years & poof they were gone . but got me thinking . would be a quick reload
Old 01-25-2020, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

Poof they were gone? Savage smokeless muzzle loaders are out there for the asking as long as you got a grand or so to splurge. Haven't seen one under 800 in quite a good spell.

Boca pretty much has it right on this new firestick thing. No breech plug since the firestick acts as one. And so far, only one rifle manufacturer has a compatible rifle. I really see this as going too far. I'm also no purist. But I do tend to lean old school pretty heavily. The only "modern" muzzle loader I have was the smokeless my dad ordered just before he passed and I have to say I am quite deeply in lust with that thing. I can consistently hit my 10 inch gong at 400 yards with it but I wouldn't take it to a ML only hunt even if it was legal to do so. Just wouldn't feel right. This firestick thing would feel the same way to me. They advertise it as being consistent in the loads and while yes thats a good thing, part of traditional muzzle loader hunting was dealing with inconsistencies and overcoming the problems from them.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

what i meant was poof they were gone . being discontinued . no longer made . allot of people were afraid of them with smokeless powder. blowing up due to operator error . over charging & double charging. yeah they want 800 & up when they try to sell them. thers's 1 sitting on the black powder selling site on this site that's been sitting there for over a month now. local gun shop around here has 1 for sell well over a year now he gave 800 for it & was asking a grand & now i believe he's asking 800 or best offer & still no takers .
Old 01-26-2020, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

Yes they were nice rifles and shot pretty well. But for another 800 or so you can get yourself into a much better shooting SML and call it money well spent if you are into that sort of thing. While yes I do love that SML the old man had built, I am in no way converted from my old fashioned flint and cap sidelocks. Just something about the smell of good old Swiss going off and hearing the contact of the bullet when you made a good shot on an animal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.