Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Tennessee Mountain Rifle >

Tennessee Mountain Rifle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tennessee Mountain Rifle

Old 02-26-2020, 02:44 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Here is my 10 Ga
Firing primers worked just fine.

I have the firing pin mechanism off the left barrel and the doent primer laying there.

Pro
Certainly makes this water proof
I wont loose a cap.
I like using 209 primers

Con
Still fumbling with my.ild fingers getting a primer in the pocket.
(Do think a magnet pencil will greatly improve that.)
I do envision loosing the screw on firing pin cap.
(However, thanks to Breechplug and his magnet idea I'll be carrying a magnetic collapsible wand. Fits in my pocket easily. Already have one to retrieve the small metal parts when I assemble new snowblowers and lawnmowers).

I'll be patterning tomorrow

JW

Last edited by JW; 02-26-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks Good and glad it worked out, I'd still consider ordering another firing pin cap just to have a extra just in case. I ordered a couple of them small "Earth magnets" off e-bay, they have a super strong hold and are small enough to not be in the way on the receiver to hold the firing pin top when putting another primer in. The magnet your using should work fine though, but if you forget it the one on the receiver will always be there.

Glad all worked out, now we'll have to wait and see how long the unit will last and hold up, it is Stainless so it should be pretty durable. You and I are the only one's so far I know of that have ordered these, they seem to be some thing more would be interested in as they do keep the primer sealed up pretty good from the elements even though 209 primers do a good job of that on their own, but the added protection is still a bonus. And having the 209 primer as a ignition source is also what I like, it's much better and more reliable than No11's and Musket Caps. Maybe other's will give it a try.

All My Best, Ron (Breechplug)
Old 02-28-2020, 02:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Did you guys ever consider priming those firing pin caps and painting them blaze orange so you can find them easier? Or consider using a length of rubber tubing about 6" or so that can slip over the cap and hold it in place when you unscrew it and reinstall it? With that taper on the cap it shouldn't be too hard to push a vinyl tube over it.