Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Renegade

Old 01-04-2020, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default Renegade

Dad and I were looking at his muzzleloaders this morning and I noticed that barrel wedge on his renagade was really loose,To the point that I could just turn it side ways and it would fall out. I do not remember it being that loose when I was a kid but it also does not look worn. Any suggestions on a fix? I was thinking about peening both faces of the wedge but thought I would ask for ideas here first. Thank you
Old 01-04-2020, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Many times they have a bend in them. Try just turning it over.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Many times they have a bend in them. Try just turning it over.
Tried it both ways and from both sides
Old 01-04-2020, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by grinder67
Dad and I were looking at his muzzleloaders this morning and I noticed that barrel wedge on his renagade was really loose,To the point that I could just turn it side ways and it would fall out. I do not remember it being that loose when I was a kid but it also does not look worn. Any suggestions on a fix? I was thinking about peening both faces of the wedge but thought I would ask for ideas here first. Thank you
For a Loose Fitting Wedge Key

Remove the Barrel, turn it upside Down and Place on a Solid Surface (Clamped Just Snug in a Well Padded Vise Works Great) Take a piece of Round Stock Steel about 3/8” Diameter, Place it in the Center of the Wedge Lug, Give the Round Steel Bar a Light Smack with a Hammer, Test fit, Repeat as necessary

Like this

Old 01-05-2020, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

That is the best way to tighten up a wedge pin Idaholewis, and your illustration is perfect. I would add, that you mustn't depress the wedge tenon too much, as they can be very brittle on some guns and may crack. A little goes a long way.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Fyrstyk54
That is the best way to tighten up a wedge pin Idaholewis, and your illustration is perfect. I would add, that you mustn't depress the wedge tenon too much, as they can be very brittle on some guns and may crack. A little goes a long way.
I have never seen a Lug Crack? Not to say it can’t happen, Just that i have never seen it happen? I have done a TON of these Things, Sidelocks are my Preferred Rifles. The Hawken’s and Renegades have Soft Metal Lugs that Sit in a Dovetail like a Front Sight, They bend really easy. Following the procedure above, it takes very light Taps to Get the Desired Bend in the Lug. My Lyman Great Plains Hunter Rifle was Very similar to my TC’s (The Method i show in my Post Above comes From Lyman, it is in their Manual for their Great Plains Rifle)
The Wedge Lugs on my Green Mountain Barrels are MUCH HARDER, it takes noticeably more Force to get a slight Bend in them

As i said in my 1st post, Go easy on it, and Check Fit often, It’s an EASY Task
Old 01-05-2020, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I usually don't mess with the wedge lug but instead lay the wedge pin on a hard surface and tap it in the center to put a slight bend in it. Then try it with the bend up then down and see which way it is more snug. If need be you can bend it a little more. Once you have it where it is snug you can mark it as to which way it goes in. I usually scribe a T on it to indicate that side goes up.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

I have bent wedge keys, Folded a Cleaning Patch and Layed it in the Barrel Channel to Create “Lift”, Built up in the Stock Channels With Tape, RVT Cement, Etc., Again to Create “Lift” They all Worked, and Got me by. But they were nothing more than a Bandaid on the Problem. The Correct way to ACTUALLY Fix the Problem is how i Showed in my 1st post, Post #4

Of the “Bandaid” Fixes I Mention above, My Favorite, and Simplest to do is the Folded Cleaning Patch, Place it just Forward of the Wedge Lug, Try Different thicknesses til the Wedge Key Tightens up.

Some of the Things I’ve Done

This was a Different issue, I did this to tighten up a tiny bit of Play Back at the Hooked Breech, This is my Rice Barrel in a TC Hawken Stock.

Last edited by Idaholewis; 01-05-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Idaholewis

For a Loose Fitting Wedge Key

Remove the Barrel, turn it upside Down and Place on a Solid Surface (Clamped Just Snug in a Well Padded Vise Works Great) Take a piece of Round Stock Steel about 3/8” Diameter, Place it in the Center of the Wedge Lug, Give the Round Steel Bar a Light Smack with a Hammer, Test fit, Repeat as necessary

Like this

Thank you for the great advise! That is what i will do
Old 01-06-2020, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Also, you can use a socket wrench socket instead of round steel stock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.