Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Recommendations please for WA Legal deer muzzleloader? >

Recommendations please for WA Legal deer muzzleloader?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Recommendations please for WA Legal deer muzzleloader?

Old 12-17-2019, 10:57 AM
Spike

Default Recommendations please for WA Legal deer muzzleloader?

I'm looking at a T/C Breakopen 50 cal. 10138527 for Deer in Washington State, I will be hunting thick areas west of the mountains mostly. I'm a newbie and would really like some pointers on this, my experience with regular guns has been to buy good ones, not the most expensive but middle of the road. I guess $400 - $800 would be my price range, if anybody has an opinion on their favorites please let me know.
Once again, any advice would be appreciated.
Jim
Old 12-17-2019, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like your only restriction is no scopes.

I would suggest a Optima V2 in nitride finish. Those are under $350.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/cvatm...en-sights.html

Next step up is the Accura V2 in nitride for under $500
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/cva-a...-pr3122sn.html

Knight rifle still has Extremes on sale for $500 and with shipping its $540-$560. You really need the bare primer upgrade for these though and thats another $50ish shipped. Extremes are very well made with a Timney trigger also.
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/produc...-muzzleloader/

You would need this plug and adapter to make it a really good rifle. These bare primer conversion parts are top shelf. Ive used quite a few of them.
https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.co...product_id=259
https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.co...product_id=258

Last edited by Gm54-120; 12-20-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:34 PM
Spike

Gm54 - These Knights look like they are right up my alley, machined parts, Timney triggers (I use one in my shotgun), and made in USA. I'd be using 209 primers, would I still want the bare primer upgrade?, or the plug and adapter?. Not complaining just want to know what I'd need to cherry it out. Last thing, do you know the difference between the Max 1 and the extra?. I would likely get the 50 cal as I suspect there are more bullets and load data available. I really like your recommendations, thanks!
Old 12-20-2019, 04:10 AM
Typical Buck

jdscot3 ihave no true expience with cva muzzleloaders. but i do own a couple of their hunter single shot rifle's i do like them. but as far as muzzleloaders you may want to also check out the t/c impact for less than 250 bucks. it's a fine shooting gun can either use pellets or loose powder. i perfer the blackhorn 209 powder. and another good muzzleloader is a traditions ultra light persuit. although you can shoot either pellets or powder their breech plug is bare minimum for bh209. sells around for 290 bucks . but just getting into muzzleloading is a whole new world & i would say that i believe i enjoy them the most either way good luck
Old 12-20-2019, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Neither T/C or Traditions offer anything in stainless. Not a single rifle. The Traditions breach plug wont even begin to compare to a 17-4 SS Lehigh plug and its less reliable than the BH209 plug for CVAs. The T/Cs QLA is known for poor machining and very poor accuracy with conicals if the need arises. Being in the PACNW you would want a rifle that can shoot conicals just in case. The Knights or CVAs will shoot conicals just fine.

Max 1 and Extra are just different camo patterns. Knights use a plastic jacket to hold the 209 primer. Its a poor design really. Seals out moisture very well but leaks like mad when fired. The Lehigh parts eliminate the need for those plastic jackets. You take out the bolt, replace the plugs and drop the adapter into the bolt. Put the bolt back in the rifle and you are done. The adapter stays in the bolt until you remove the bolt again. Primers drop in the adapter. You dont have to remove the bolt to load it.

Ive owned a bunch of Knights. I just built a semi custom Mountaineer 45 1-20 twist using the Knight barrel kit. The same barrel will drop right in the Extreme too. All you need is another $16.50 breach plug for it. Mountaineer plugs are different than the Extremes. That barrel will shoot a 300g bullet around 2100fps with a max recommended load of BH209. Its pretty similar to the rifle that has done super well at Friendship inline matches.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is also a bare primer bolt option. You can get the bolt housing like this at Sportsmans for around $85. Your Extreme bolt internals screw right into it no problem. Knight has a video on youtube how to do it. It literally takes a couple minutes without tools

This is the fancier Mountaineer jeweled bolt body. It will fit an Extreme also.

This is with my old Extreme internal parts in the bolt.

Fired primers are nearly spotless in mine but sometimes a little tinkering is needed. Using a Win209 is often fine. I was trying others in mine this time.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 12-20-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

With the new
Washington regulations I would/could easily suggest a Knight Rifle.

I prefer the Knight Ultra-Lite. It is a bit above your price standard but it is a lifetime rifle and an extremely versatile rifle in that it can shoot most anything with the availability three different ignition systems. It gives you options

The second option I would suggest is the Knight DISC Extreme. It gives you all of the same options as the ULite but it has a longer barrel and a bit heavier rifle. But it is less expensive.

With either of these rifles I would suggest a Williams FP peep sight on the rear and a Williams front sight combination of ramp, optic front sight and fire sight hood.

I THINK because of Washington rules you will need to get a 50 cal. if you plan on hunting elk.

If you were to go with either of these two option I would suggest you get the rifle with FPJ ignition (red plastic jacket), With this option you get a bolt that you use an after market 'bare primer ignition or cap ignition without purchasing a different bolt.

Got any questions ask away....

There are some good buys out there right now on either of these rifles.

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-20-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, with the FPJ bolt all you have to do is switch plugs to make it legal for all PACNW regs. Pretty sure that bolt will work with the percussion plug and would be legal in nearby states that require open ignition.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:35 PM
Spike

I'm getting a bit too much info, here's what I think I've learned. GM54 your Knight recommendation with the 2 Lehigh products (plug and adapter) would be a good way to go to use 209 primers and not get dirty blowby etc. Is this correct? Also I really like peep sites, and will definitely go for the Williams, good call. I don't think I'll mind the heavier Knight Extremes that are on sale as I don't mind a heavier rifle to steady it and tame the kick. Thanks again guys.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Jdscott3
I'm getting a bit too much info, here's what I think I've learned. GM54 your Knight recommendation with the 2 Lehigh products (plug and adapter) would be a good way to go to use 209 primers and not get dirty blowby etc. Is this correct? Also I really like peep sites, and will definitely go for the Williams, good call. I don't think I'll mind the heavier Knight Extremes that are on sale as I don't mind a heavier rifle to steady it and tame the kick. Thanks again guys.
Correct, the 2 parts from Lehigh will make it much much cleaner to shoot. Just use a standard Win209 primer. Those fit the Lehigh plug best. They are also the longest primer. The Lehigh plug has a removable vent liner. Make sure to take it out and apply some anti seize to it before shooting it. Lehigh sells extra vent liner also. Might as well grab a pack of 4 when you get the plug. That will save you on shipping later if you ever need more. They last for 200 shots or more each. Much more if shooting mild loads. Its literally a few minute job to install the Lehigh parts in the Extreme. Only tool you need is a deep well 6 point socket with extension to remove the plug (1/4 drive a 3/8 drive is too large) and a allen to snug the vent liner in. It just needs to be snug. Not cranked down.

https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.co...product_id=282

Last edited by Gm54-120; 12-20-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.