Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Price advice: $250 for Vortek Strikerfire? >

Price advice: $250 for Vortek Strikerfire?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Price advice: $250 for Vortek Strikerfire?

Old 10-27-2019, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Price advice: $250 for Vortek Strikerfire?

I'm looking to get a muzzleloader for next season (2020), because I'll finally be where it's convenient to hunt during ML season (no more big city for me).

A store has several Traditions Vortek Strikerfire rifles (28" Cerakote, black stock) on clearance for $249 apiece, and I'm not sure if I'm likely to find a better deal between now and next year. I figure at that price, I can outfit that rifle with a scope + mounts + rings, a sling, cleaning supplies, and powder + bullets + primers for less than $475 (okay, maybe I didn't factor the cost of a range rod and jag).
My only qualm about the Traditions Vortek is that nobody seems to know what scope mount base and corresponding size screws actually work in that particular model (including Traditions, somehow). I don't want to suffer for a factory's .003" mass error in drilling holes. Perhaps someone who shoots one of these rifles can weigh in on this.

Can I afford to I wait until January post-season clearance for something else to come up? I know CVA Wolf combos exist for less than the rifle alone in this case, but I'm annoyed by how short the rifles are on the Wolf (usually 24"; I really would like no less than 28" on a factory cut barrel that's not re-machined like the CVA Accura), and I would rather put a Bushnell Banner on a rifle than go with whatever comes with that rifle.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why do you feel you need a 28"+ barrel. A CVA Optima V2 26" barrel is stainless and the rifle weighs under 7lbs. 2" more barrel will be lucky to add another 50fps, probably more like 36-40fps. They cost about $260 at muzzle-loaders.com.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifle...brand_model=21

What do you mean by re-machined like the Accura?
Old 10-28-2019, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know, I think I might have crossed some knowledge I'd read up on, and applied it where it didn't matter:

Specifically, I was reading in a forum of guys discussing *traditional* muzzleloader using black powder. However, the burn rate on BP substitutes probably makes it less necessary to have a longer barrel. What would you consider the "minimum" for a modern muzzleloader shooting BH209, TripleSeven, or Pyrodex (and let's just say it's all loose powder)?
Old 10-28-2019, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

26" is a good all around length. Accuras are 25 for MR, 27 for V2, 28 for PR and 30 for LR.
You get somewhat of a bump after the 25" but after 26-27" you wont see much. Optima V2 is a nice little rifle for under $300. If they made it in a 45cal would have one.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you suggest a .45cal over a .50?
Old 10-29-2019, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

young gun that's one hell of a price for a strikerfire. the best i ever seen for that model was 329. & no i never experienced a problem with scope rail mounts matching holes they all have lined up to the 4 holes drilled & tapped . i have used 2 different scope rails both made by traditions the black scope rail mount only is part number a1780 & a coma combination base & ring set # a1788rb the base only was less than 10 dollars & the camo kit was around 25 . i own a striker fire ldr long distance rifle & i shoot blackhorn 209 using 110 grains & a strikerfire 28" barrel & use 100 grains of bh209 both shoot great & burn the powder completely. i've shoot it from a bench with snow on the ground & off the bench there is no power laying in the snow . it'sa test to see how much unburned powder there is . love both of my strikerfires. they have a great trigger set to a little over 2 lbs
Old 10-29-2019, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by younggun308
Do you suggest a .45cal over a .50?
Only if you have good access to 45cal supplies and its legal for where you want to hunt. Not just any 45 though. You want a 45 with a faster twist than 1-28 for it to be most versatile. Only 3 companies are offering 45s like that now and the cheapest is just over $500.

There are some very good plugs available for CVAs shooting BH209. The Traditions plug is marginal at best. Look at any good BH209 plug and you will see a design similarity that you wont see on the Traditions plug. Traditions does not use a steel firing pin bushing around the firing pin on the Strikefire either. The alloy frame wears in this area. CVAs do have a steel bushing in this area and wont gall like the Traditions will.

Optima V2 comes with your choice of iron sights or scope base. Its available in SS or Nitride over SS. Traditions still uses chromoly coated steel for most of their lineup. Why would you not want SS for about the same price? Cerakote does nothing to protect you bore. Its external only.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 10-29-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt with a CVA Wolf and it is probably my most favorite rifle. That short barrel makes it a pleasure to use in a tree stand and is accurate as hell. I had an older model Traditions pursuit with a very long HEAVY fluted barrel that had the worst trigger of any gun I have owned. The Pursuit was a pain to shoot as it was so forward heavy and that trigger was a nightmare. The Wolf will shoot circles around that Traditions. Just my honest opinion.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

If i was looking at Traditions i would look at a Pursuit G4 Ultra light ON SALE. At least it has some kind of replaceable plate around the firing pin. Only the G4 and Buckstalker have this feature. They offer the G4 in a nitride chromoly. While not SS it still beats the hell out of bare chromoly steel. Biggest negative is its no cheaper than a Optima V2 nitride SS. Plus it does not include sights or a scope base. So in reality is gunna be more expensive after you buy any good base/rings.

After the season is over you will probably see Walmart blow out their MLs. Optimas will be around $200 in SS/black with a few going for less.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like how the "baseline" Optima model comes with either the sights or the scope mount readily installed---all one needs is a scope.
With $250 being the standard price for a stainless rifle+mount, it's going to be a more affordable option than even an unusually cheap Traditions Vortek. Seems like, from reviews across the web, that with the BH209 plug and BH209 the rifle is capable of MOA groups at 100 yards.

From what I've read and a few unfortunate events when my uncle has hunted, I'll avoid Powerbelts. Thinking about shooting Barnes TEZ's and maybe a cheaper lead plinking round for plinking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.