Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

filled a tag

Old 10-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default filled a tag

Had some fun up the cabin the past 4 days. Yesterday afternoon walking down the camp road to get to where I wanted to be I spied this doe up on the hillside about 75 yards up standing behind a tree staring down at me. Jake can tell you I was shooting about a 60* up slope. I set the top of the post just behind her right leg pulled the set trigger and touched off the shot. I couldn't hear or see anything until the smoke cleared. Then I saw her sliding down the hill directly toward me. She finally stopped only 15 yards away stone dead. The shot was so steep uphill that the bullet hit right where I was aiming, took off the top of the heart and shattered the left shoulder before exiting. It was a 370 gr 11mm paper patched bullet launched by 70 gr of Goex FFFg with a felt over wad.
Also saw two buck, one a little basket rack 8 point and one BIG 8 point with good mass, spread and high tines. Too bad my tag was for anterless only.
Attached Thumbnails filled a tag-me-deer-2.jpg   filled a tag-deer-hawken-2.jpg   filled a tag-muzzy-hole.jpg  
Old 10-22-2019, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Splendid shot, bronko!

And the most guaranteed way to see game is not to a) have a tag for that specific animal or b) not bring a weapon---nothing like seeing a nice buck in the woods. Guess you'll be back!
Old 10-22-2019, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Good thing the shot was up hill and not down hill. I would not want to drag one up those mountains lol. You know they're steep when it hurts your neck looking up them.

Nice shooting Clem. Any bear running around?

-Jake
Old 10-22-2019, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Good thing the shot was up hill and not down hill. I would not want to drag one up those mountains lol. You know they're steep when it hurts your neck looking up them.

Nice shooting Clem. Any bear running around?

-Jake
Saw some sign but no bear. I even sat on my gut pile until dark hoping one would smell it and come in but no dice. Bob had a Dr appt tomorrow and with it raining all day today we decided to pack up and come home. I have to go to Philly to pick up my daughter and grandkids at the airport anyway. We went to church on Sunday and the pastor said that some guys he was talking to didn't see any deer but saw 3 bear. So they're surely around.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well done old man. Congratulations.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

Clem, WAY TO GO!!! Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to miss out on our early ML season this year. Last Tuesday I had a Kidney Stone attack. Turns out I had a 7mm size stone stuck in my urinary track. Seems like i had to go to the bathroom every 45 minutes or so. Just today I had a little over two hr surgery where they pulled the stone out and found another one in my kidney that they also removed. Now I have a stint in me so I can urinate freely and sometime next week they'll remove it. I'm hoping they will put me to sleep or heavily sedate me. The one time I had a stint in I was awake and I won't go into details but they couldn't get it out and wound up putting me to sleep the following week. I'm dying to get out with my TC Renegade with my 45 GM LRH bbl and my 350 gr Gould bullets. If I can't get out, I'll use my Renegade during our regular Rifle season and late ML season in Bucks County where you can use Percussion

Ed
Old 10-23-2019, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats!
Old 10-23-2019, 05:39 AM
Typical Buck

bronko congrats & what a nice doe, always good to have some meat in the frezzer.can't wait till our muzzy season. i'm thinking about using the muzzy for our reg gun season too. not sure yet. got jake some private property to hunt on out here in lorain county.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats to you
Old 10-23-2019, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks to all. Because of the warm weather I had to go and cut her up last night. I could not believe the damage that cast bullet caused. I sure would have liked to recover it and see what it looked like. The right side where the entrance was it hit a rib bone square and blew a chunk of it somewhere and left about a 1"+ hole. Blood halfway down the rib cage and the back half of the right shoulder. After clipping off the top of the heart it smacked dead center into the left shoulder blade and blasted about a 2" hole through it before exiting out the hide. I mistakenly stated in the original post that the bullet was 370 gr. They are actually 392 grs.when cast with pure lead. My goodness - I wouldn't hesitate to use the load combination on anything on this continent if this is typical of the devastation it causes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.