Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Deer is out of the way elk next >

Deer is out of the way elk next

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Deer is out of the way elk next

Old 10-27-2019, 03:54 PM
Spike

Is that a slip on butt pad or one of the lace up type on your rifle?
Old 10-27-2019, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

My son's Renegade has a slip on Pacmyer recoil pad. My Hawken has a limb saver pad on it.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:25 PM
Spike

Looks nice! I take it you squared off the brass butt plate. I see remnants on top of the stock.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually took my shotgun in to the gun smith and had him duplicate the length and the slant on the pad. I didn't know what else to do with the brass other than this.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:48 PM
Spike

Well it looks nice!!
Old 12-15-2019, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

So I am a little late updating this, we went on the elk hunt. I found a herd of about 300 elk the day before the hunt started. Jacob couldn't go so we waited a week. Well by that time we could not find a cow to save our lives. we headed into a canyon I have seen elk using to water all we found was pretty country and indian pictures

We went again the next week and saw a few bulls but no cows.
I gave Jacob his Christmas present early. I told him that Christmas morning was going to suck but today was going to be good. I gave him a set of Leupold BX2 Alpine 12x50 binoculars.
On the way there we found a truck that went off the road in the new snow.

No one was in it so off we went to hunt elk. We were back again on the look out, and I thought I saw a couple elk at long range. I was looking at about 15 miles out when I saw them.
We headed that way and went to looking. We found two sets of tracks in the snow, so we took off following them on foot.
After a while I was about shot due to my ankle injury last summer. Just as I was about to head back to the truck Jacob see's the elk with his new bino's. They were laying in the grass about a mile out. So we circle them and get behind them. We had the wind in our face and quiet snow on the ground.
We ran out of cover so I grabbed a hand full of weeds and we crawled. Jacob thought I had lost my mind.

ell I took a range on the elk and it said 278 yards. We got ready and we both shot, But nothing was hit. We shot again and the elk ran to us. I took another range and the elk were at 500 yards! The range finder must have hit something between us. The elk ran to us and we held off until they were at 400 yards. I told Jacob where the guns would hit and we both shot. Both elk were hit well so we waited. We moved up closer and one got up. Jacob shot it and the other one raised its head. I shot it in the head and it was done.

I was super disappointed that the range finder locked onto the wrong target but it all worked out.
We cut them into halves and loaded them into Jacob's 4Runner.

We got really lucky with the fresh snow. We also got lucky that Jacob saw them in the grass, and we were lucky that the elk ran too us when the range finder didn't give us the right distance. But like I always say I would rather be lucky than good.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeez, that's a lot of meat! Great going!
Old 12-16-2019, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats on a fun hunt Ron! That country looks amazing.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

That's A memorable hunt for sure! Nice job

-Jake
Old 12-17-2019, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

That hunt can be either super easy or almost impossible. I haven't drawn a tag in 13 years. That rifle doesn't get shot much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.