Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Goggles For my Mountaineer >

New Goggles For my Mountaineer

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Goggles For my Mountaineer

Old 10-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Goggles For my Mountaineer

Off with the Vortex, I Brought this Ugly Duckling Home to Take it’s place Atop my Knight Mountaineer Of Course my Rings were to Short so i have to wait a Few Days before i can play with it, I have the Correct Set of Steel Mark 4s on their Way

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 MOAR-T (Target) Nightforce Flip up Dust Caps

Old 10-11-2019, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well that's nice. Did you win the lottery? I can't afford glass like that!
Old 10-12-2019, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!

You're going to like that scope.. I have the same, short of mine is a 50mm and MOAR. I also used the Mark4 rings, lapping them.
Although heavy, they're built like a TANK! It will take abuse well beyond what any other scope would take.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well that's nice. Did you win the lottery? I can't afford glass like that!
Friends in HIGH Places
Old 10-12-2019, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Congratulations!

You're going to like that scope.. I have the same, short of mine is a 50mm and MOAR. I also used the Mark4 rings, lapping them.
Although heavy, they're built like a TANK! It will take abuse well beyond what any other scope would take.
I’m Looking forward to it That New Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 FAILED Miserably to Hold Zero, That’s why I haven’t been shooting my Mountaineer in quite sometime, It made it 2 outings and went Tits. Me and Vortex came to the End of the Rd, I have had BAD Luck with their Stuff, it’s doubtful i will ever own anything else of theirs. It wasn’t like That Vortex Viper i had was Cheap, I bought the FFP Model, I got mine on Sale for 800.00, They normally Sell for 1,000 Bucks.

I just Switched gears on Rings, I ended up going with Nightforce 1.125s, I LOVE my Steel Mark 4s, My mediums at .084 are just a little to Short for this Nightforce with 56MM Bell, I am confident the Mark 4 High’s at 1.06 Would Work fine, But I would feel more comfortable Stepping up a Little bit more. It’s a Shame That Leupold doesn’t offer a Mark 4 Steel Ring in between the High and Super High, There is a REALLY BIG Gap there, 1.06 to 1.5” Nightforce offers a few more Heights to Fill that Gap

Last edited by Idaholewis; 10-12-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Congratulations!

Them SWFA SS scopes are built to take a pounding too. I got my eye on one if i decide to keep my Savage 45. The SWFA SS was the old Tasco Super Sniper made under contract for US armed forces such as Navy Seals. SWFA bought the rights to it. Hell of a lot of scope for under $800 and $300 for fixed power. Some of them have a nice 3.9" of eye relief too.
http://swfa-ss.com/history

Love this bad boy for just $299
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-20x42-t....html?___SID=U

Last edited by Gm54-120; 10-12-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Them SWFA SS scopes are built to take a pounding too. I got my eye on one if i decide to keep my Savage 45. The SWFA SS was the old Tasco Super Sniper made under contract for US armed forces such as Navy Seals. SWFA bought the rights to it. Hell of a lot of scope for under $800 and $300 for fixed power. Some of them have a nice 3.9" of eye relief too.
http://swfa-ss.com/history

Love this bad boy for just $299
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-20x42-t....html?___SID=U

Those SWFA Scopes are RAVED About! I had it down to this Nightforce, or an SWFA 3-15X42, I felt like I couldn’t go wrong with either. I have wanted a Nightforce for Years, and beings they are an Idaho Based Company (about 3-1/2 Hours south of me) I Chose Nightforce.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I...…... HIGHLY recommend you get the power throw lever: https://nightforceoptics.com/accessories/ptl
Attached Thumbnails New Goggles For my Mountaineer-img-0991.jpg  

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 10-12-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Putting the Ole Gal together, The Rings sure got here in a Hurry

I switched gears 1 more time after some Fitting, I ended up going with Nightforce Extreme Duty Medium (1 inch) 6 Screw, With a Level Top Half

I Leveled my Crosshairs with a Plumbline about 40 Yards out. I’ve got it Running SPOT ON, Then Torqued the Ring Half Screws to 25 inch pounds per Nightforce Recommendation

I REALLY Like this Ring Half Level, I don’t have to “Hunt” for it, it’s THERE

Ready for a Test Run

Got a Country mile of Clearance here I am REALLY Glad i Switched gears a 2nd time and went with this Medium (1 inch) The 1.125 That I ALMOST Got would have been Taller than needed. I like my Scopes as low on the Rifle as i can Get them, This is a BEAUTIFUL Match up

Last edited by Idaholewis; 10-12-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:17 PM
Spike

Look’n good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.