Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Long range MLs

Old 09-14-2019, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Knight would not be the one offering it though. Rem does not offer a Jewel trigger do they?. That is upto the trigger manufactures and contracts they sign. The solution is simple, just get a Rem action and get whatever trips your "trigger". Knight wont even sell just the Timney trigger last time i checked and neither will Timney because they are under contract. Not a snowballs chance Knight is gunna shell out $300+ for a true competitive match trigger. The market simply is not large enough for Jewel or whoever to produce them. The sales would be tiny compared to the production/tooling costs. Timney didnt even sell theirs directly after they lost the Knight contract the first time. Neither does Velocity and i have one of their best triggers they ever made for Knight. Its the same trigger Knight used the last couple years in the Manufactures matches. Both surely have/had the tooling in place to make and sell them but neither one has ever sold them directly to end users.
You are definitely correct, It’s WAY to Niche of a Market, The likes of Jewell, and Bix’NAndy aren’t gonna Tool up to Bulid Triggers to Sell a Small handful of them, Just wishful thinking on my Part To get it ALL, you gotta go Custom
Old 09-14-2019, 07:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well this thread is seeing some activity that's for sure. GM maybe its my nature with that knob/secondary safety. The way I hunt sometimes all you get is a quick shot and fiddling with that knob could mean the difference between getting the shot or not. And keeping it unscrewed in the firing position (with the safety on) would leave the ignition system exposed to the elements. For a target rifle I guess its no big deal. I'm just apprehensive about it. I think I'll just keep my eye out for a used 700ML in good shape. Maybe just use it as is or get something later on with the action.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

How would it leave anything exposed? Its just a knob on the end of the bolt. It does nothing other than to prevent the firing pin from hitting the primer and bolt disassembly. That is why just a dab of silicone caulk works fine to disable it. It comes off easily when you need to clean the bolt internals.

I dont think you understand how it works.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-14-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

maybe something top think about, but what's your opinion on a Savage 10MLBSS-II , with smokeless powder, it should be able to send things down range pretty good
I know a few guys that have them for hunting in Ohio, and other places and seen some tiny groups they get at 300 yards
there not into going farther, so not sure on that, but they do shoot well for what they are,!

and Hart, sells there own version of 700 ML's

they might have used one's in or know of some, if interested
Old 09-14-2019, 01:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

How would it leave anything exposed? Its just a knob on the end of the bolt. It does nothing other than to prevent the firing pin from hitting the primer and bolt disassembly. That is why just a dab of silicone caulk works fine to disable it. It comes off easily when you need to clean the bolt internals.

I dont think you understand how it works.
i had 2 older Knights. you unscrew it and then have to pull it out to cock it. that would expose it. i'd just rather flip off the safety and fire. i wouldn't want that bolt resting on a primer when unscrewed even with the safety on
Old 09-14-2019, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

You are comparing a Knight plunger gun to a DISC based bolt action...Two entirely different designs other than the 2nd safety.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

The ML-II is a terribly overpriced rifle now days and about the only part worth keeping is the action. The barrels kinda suck and its a heavy beast. Limited aftermarket as well. You could buy a brand new Rem UML for less more than likely and have a better base to start with. If you can find one that already has a nice barrel upgrade for under a grand its worth considering. Just avoid the small shank and 4.27" bolt spacing versions. You will greatly limit your stock options with that spacing.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-14-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

You are comparing a Knight plunger gun to a DISC based bolt action...Two entirely different designs other than the 2nd safety.
My apology... I just assumed that they were the same as the older MK-85s
Old 09-19-2019, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

On a DISC, Extreme, Elite, Mountaineer, Ulite ect ect the seer only holds back the firing pin assembly. More or less just like a centerfire bolt assembly. The knob if tightened also only holds back the firing pin. On a Knight plunger gun (MKs, LKs, Wolverine, Bighorn ect), both hold back the entire plunger assembly.

A DISC type bolt is taken apart without tools by tightening the "knob" until the firing assembly can rotate. Its quite simple once you see how it works. You can clean the inside of the bolt with a brush that fits and some patches. It stays pretty clean inside if you have a good primer seal so clean up is very easy. Much cleaner than the plunger guns

This video should give you a better idea of how it comes apart and how it works. Original DISC and maybe some very early Extremes were slightly different and needed a little c shaped tool but its virtually the same.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-19-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

On a DISC, Extreme, Elite, Mountaineer, Ulite ect ect the seer only holds back the firing pin assembly. More or less just like a centerfire bolt assembly. The knob if tightened also only holds back the firing pin. On a Knight plunger gun (MKs, LKs, Wolverine, Bighorn ect), both hold back the entire plunger assembly.

A DISC type bolt is taken apart without tools by tightening the "knob" until the firing assembly can rotate. Its quite simple once you see how it works. You can clean the inside of the bolt with a brush that fits and some patches. It stays pretty clean inside if you have a good primer seal so clean up is very easy. Much cleaner than the plunger guns

This video should give you a better idea of how it comes apart and how it works. Original DISC and maybe some very early Extremes were slightly different and needed a little c shaped tool but its virtually the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjSXPbOAoVs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ohKnPL6GQ4
That looks like a much better system. Maybe I'll start looking into one now. All along I assumed the newer system was the same as the ones on the MK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.