Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Long range MLs

Old 09-13-2019, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
...….. I just like hitting things way out yonder with regularity.
Then I'd go custom and save a lot of grief and money
You don't have to shoot competition, heck I shoot by myself all the time. If ANYONE thinks that just because you own a "custom", that you can always shoot tiny little groups, they couldn't be more wrong. It takes a lot of practice to shoot those tiny groups at 400 and 500yds.
Trust me, its much harder shooting at a spot the size of a dime at 500yds than it is shooting at an 8" gong. Not saying hitting steel isn't or can't be fun, but that's a large target compared to something the size of a dime.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Then I'd go custom and save a lot of grief and money
Might save you some grief , definitely won’t save you money. Cost you a small fortune every time you pull the trigger.
Not counting the cost to have a custom built.
And those are facts not opinion.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter

Might save you some grief , definitely won’t save you money. Cost you a small fortune every time you pull the trigger.
Not counting the cost to have a custom built.
And those are facts not opinion.
Boys and their toys...….
But if you want to shoot tiny little groups, repeatedly at long range, well then...……..
Old 09-13-2019, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Trust me, its much harder shooting at a spot the size of a dime at 500yds than it is shooting at an 8" gong. Not saying hitting steel isn't or can't be fun, but that's a large target compared to something the size of a dime.
Not with a 20-25 Power Scope it’s not I could see a Dime NO PROBLEM at that Distance with this 25 Power Vortex Viper on my Mountaineer. Hitting the Dime everytime is the Hard Part
Old 09-13-2019, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know as again, I have many custom built rifles, and some YES did cost a bunch but many were NOT that costly, well under 2 grand
it all comes down to what all you WANT and WHO you have do it
many times your paying for names and hype and not getting much better a gun
so, nothing wrong with a custom made rifle if you know what you want and willing to work with a good smith and NOT a famous one!
Old 09-13-2019, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Idaholewis

Not with a 20-25 Power Scope it’s not I could see a Dime NO PROBLEM at that Distance with this 25 Power Vortex Viper on my Mountaineer. Hitting the Dime everytime is the Hard Part
Yes sir it certainly is. Its harder than most will ever realize, but dang its fun trying.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Yes sir it certainly is. Its harder than most will ever realize, but dang its fun trying.
That’s why we do this stuff If a Guy ain’t having fun there’s something wrong! Maybe take up Quilting?
Old 09-14-2019, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I know you've said that before. I don't really see that "secondary safety" as a great feature. IMO it's just plain silly. They've had that same system since they came out. You think they could come up with something better. Other than that the Knights are great and accurate rifles. And their triggers could use some refinement too.
Its simple to NOT use the secondary safety. Just dont screw it in and if you want it more permanent just add a drop of silicone caulk to the threads.

Tell me, what company is using a better trigger than a Timney in any currently made mass produced inline muzzleloader? Sure appears to be a ton of Knights old and new winning the inline matches. I would imagine quite a few of those were still using the Velocity made triggers too. No doubt there are better triggers out there but they are few and far between even on upper end centerfire rifles. You wont even find many hunter grade rifles using triggers as good as a Timney or better unless spending big bucks.

If you want all the bells and whistles with tons of options build a ML off of a Rem700 single shot action. The action alone is about $500 with the X-Mark trigger. A top end Brux/Rock Creek/Shilen barrel with plug will set you back $600 or more. Another $500 for one of the upper end stocks and whatever a Jewel or better trigger costs. If you dont plan on shooting high end smokeless load you can get a Brux 45 1-20 Remage barrel for around $800 and DIY. It will handle any load of BH209 you would ever consider shooting.

In the end you will have $2000 or more in a rifle that probably wont out shoot a well tuned Knight 45 1-20 by much if just using BH209 or Swiss. A Mountaineer 45 1-20 even with a custom fit Bestill bushing plug will set you back almost half as much.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-14-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Its simple to NOT use the secondary safety. Just dont screw it in and if you want it more permanent just add a drop of silicone caulk to the threads.

Tell me, what company is using a better trigger than a Timney in any currently made mass produced inline muzzleloader? Sure appears to be a ton of Knights old and new winning the inline matches. I would imagine quite a few of those were still using the Velocity made triggers too. No doubt there are better triggers out there but they are few and far between even on upper end centerfire rifles. You wont even find many hunter grade rifles using triggers as good as a Timney or better unless spending big bucks.

If you want all the bells and whistles with tons of options build a ML off of a Rem700 single shot action. The action alone is about $500 with the X-Mark trigger. A top end Brux/Rock Creek/Shilen barrel with plug will set you back $600 or more. Another $500 for one of the upper end stocks and whatever a Jewel or better trigger costs. If you dont plan on shooting high end smokeless load you can get a Brux 45 1-20 Remage barrel for around $800 and DIY.

In the end you will have $2000 or more in a rifle that probably wont out shoot a well tuned Knight 45 1-20 by much if just using BH209 or Swiss.
I know you aren’t quoting me, just thought I’d ad. I absolutely LOVE my .45/1:20 Knight Mountaineer, It is actually the Nicest Rifle i Currently own, and that’s including my Centerfires. My comment about the Trigger was DEFINITELY not a Bash toward Knight, I stated that i would Love to see them Offer a HIGH END Trigger like the Bix’NAndy, or Jewell as an AD ON and Charge Whatever they have to Extra For it? For us guy’s that are Fine Trigger Spoiled with Ounce Triggers. I know I would have Bought one!!

The Stock Timney trigger is PLENTY and then some for The average Guy, Hunter, and Even competitive Shooters that can Adjust. But for us that are SPOILED with HIGH END Ounce Triggers, The Stock Timney’s leave a Bit to be desired. I have mine Set as Absolute low as i can get it, and keep it Safe, iirc it breaks about 1.5 Pounds. My Sidelock Set Triggers are 8-12 Ounces, The Difference is Staggering from the Bench
Old 09-14-2019, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Knight would not be the one offering it though. Rem does not offer a Jewel trigger do they?. That is upto the trigger manufactures and contracts they sign. The solution is simple, just get a Rem action and get whatever trips your "trigger". Knight wont even sell just the Timney trigger last time i checked and neither will Timney because they are under contract. Not a snowballs chance Knight is gunna shell out $300+ for a true competitive match trigger. The market simply is not large enough for Jewel or whoever to produce them. The sales would be tiny compared to the production/tooling costs. Timney didnt even sell theirs directly after they lost the Knight contract the first time. Neither does Velocity and i have one of their best triggers they ever made for Knight. Its the same trigger Knight used the last couple years in the Manufactures matches. Both surely have/had the tooling in place to make and sell them but neither one has ever sold them directly to end users.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.