Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Long range MLs

Old 09-13-2019, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Long range MLs

You guys got me thinking again which can be a very dangerous thing! Being from PA I don't get much opportunity to shoot long range at game. But shooting long range has started to pique my interest. I'm thinking of getting ML capable of shooting 400+ Yards at itty bitty targets. I was thinking about the Knight Mountaineer that some of you are shooting but I just can't get rid of my aversion to that antiquated ignition system with the knob to unscrew.
I was looking at used Rem 700/50 MLs but I would much prefer a .45. And the Rems I looked at were not in the best of shape anyway. Then along comes CVA with its new Paramount. This looks like a winner. I think I'll give it a little more time and see what the reviews are on it before I make any decisions.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Antiquated ignition system with knob you twist . That’s funny. the secondary safety is a great feature actually.
You could probably find a 1:20 original disc for 3 or 400 bucks. Bed it and you are good to go and saves you money
otherwise the 1:20 Mountaineer is still the best choice.
I think Lewis likes his hard to argue with the results with them at Friendship and you are not limited on bullets.
sabots, sabotless or lead conical. All will shoot .
Old 09-13-2019, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
You guys got me thinking again which can be a very dangerous thing! Being from PA I don't get much opportunity to shoot long range at game. But shooting long range has started to pique my interest. I'm thinking of getting ML capable of shooting 400+ Yards at itty bitty targets. I was thinking about the Knight Mountaineer that some of you are shooting but I just can't get rid of my aversion to that antiquated ignition system with the knob to unscrew.
I was looking at used Rem 700/50 MLs but I would much prefer a .45. And the Rems I looked at were not in the best of shape anyway. Then along comes CVA with its new Paramount. This looks like a winner. I think I'll give it a little more time and see what the reviews are on it before I make any decisions.
Have a Custom .45 Built If i were going that Route, i would want a Rifle like BarnesAddict’s “DUNAMIS” I am a Remington 700 Fan, I have been all of my Life. I absolutely LOVE my Knight Mountaineer! BUT, If there were Anything i could change? It would no doubt be the Trigger, I REALLY wish that Knight could Get together With Bix’NAndy and have a Trigger Made to Fit their Rifles as an Upgradable thing for us Target Guy’s. The Trigger that comes in the Mountaineer is fine for the Average Guy Wanting a Solid, Reliable Hunting Rifle. But for Target/Bench, the Stock triggers in these Guns are Ok at best. I have mine adjusted as light as i can Safely get it, it’s ok and gets me By, i have no choice but to live with it.

The Remington would allow you the Bix’NAndy Trigger, Or Jewel, Personally i would go Bix
Old 09-13-2019, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bronko…………… I've played in the LONG game for the last 5+ and spent more money than my wife (CFO) likely should have ever have let me spent.

I can tell you that the LONG RANGE shooting of a muzzleloader will bite you and bite you hard. Once you start shooting long range it starts becoming part of you and you want more. Its addicting!
I know where one "thinks" he wants to go is well past being just satisfied and ends at HAPPY.
If...….. you really want to get into the LONG range game, then my suggestion would be to go with a complete custom in the first place and save yourself a TON of money in the long run. I would also suggest that you go with a smokeless capable rifle, rather you ever shoot smokeless or not, they shoot all other propellants at much heavier charges than a production rifle. Believe me also, its not a cheap game either. For example, if you're sending 84grsW of BH now, you'll end up shooting 110grsW later (not for production rifles). It just happens and you will end up doing it. Sure you can shoot less propellant, but if you're getting into it for the LONG RANGE game, then costs WILL go up. Plan on it. In the end, it makes you a better shooter all the way around and 200yd shots are just chip shots down the road. There's no testing of the equipment, ONLY the shooter on the trigger.

My vote and without hesitation would be...….. SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF MONEY AND TIME, GO CUSTOM USING THE REM 700 ACTION.

Every production muzzleloader still made today, requires "some" type of modification. Rather that be spacers, changing the breech plug to a custom, shimming, or any of the other things you can read about. With a custom, you're done. Go shoot and test yourself, because the rifle WILL test your abilities.
Good grief, the custom builders (Luke) have a fix for that leaking system in the new CVA Paramount.

My choice for my build was Jeff Fisk. I personally know Jeff and have shot beside him.
My suggestion for a build, not in any specific order:
Jeff Fisk..... Bestill Creations LLC
Luke Horok…… Arrowhead Rifles
Levi Reed...… LR Customs.
Hollis Weber
Gary Bush
NOTE: These guys are booked, so if you really want a custom, order it now.

Just one of my range cards...… w/300gr Fury star tip2 bullet
Attached Thumbnails Long range MLs-300gr-fury-st2-87grs-benchmark.jpg  
Old 09-13-2019, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Aw heck Bronko. Just get a 1:20 barrel made for your Renegade.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can also get a rifle built by Bobby Hart, of hart rifles, he is right in PA and has turned out some great long range muzzleloaders
Old 09-13-2019, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane
Aw heck Bronko. Just get a 1:20 barrel made for your Renegade.
better yet forget all the custom nonsense , they are only ruining muzzleloading . Just get your percussion sidelock out and go back to what Blackpowder is really all about .
Old 09-13-2019, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Antiquated ignition system with knob you twist . That’s funny. the secondary safety is a great feature actually.
You could probably find a 1:20 original disc for 3 or 400 bucks. Bed it and you are good to go and saves you money
otherwise the 1:20 Mountaineer is still the best choice.
I think Lewis likes his hard to argue with the results with them at Friendship and you are not limited on bullets.
sabots, sabotless or lead conical. All will shoot .
I know you've said that before. I don't really see that "secondary safety" as a great feature. IMO it's just plain silly. They've had that same system since they came out. You think they could come up with something better. Other than that the Knights are great and accurate rifles. And their triggers could use some refinement too.

Last edited by bronko22000; 09-13-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

For Long range you don’t need no 2 or 3000 dollar custom that costs $3 or more every trigger pull
shucks you can take a round ball gun and shoot over 300
and cost is minimal. Be more fun too.
Over 4-500 you need a big conical but people were shooting tiny targets with lead conicals in sidelocks long before the idea of needing a custom inline “ Dunamis” type gun came along
it’s just most people think they need the best gun when in reality they need more practice and better skills.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
For Long range you don’t need no 2 or 3000 dollar custom that costs $3 or more every trigger pull
shucks you can take a round ball gun and shoot over 300
and cost is minimal. Be more fun too.
Over 4-500 you need a big conical but people we’re shooting tiny targets with lead conicals in sidelocks long before the idea of needing a custom inline “ Dunamis” type gun came along
it’s just most people think they need the best gun when in reality they need more practice and better skills.
Those are really true statements. I really don't want to shoot competitively. Been there, done that. Just wasn't fun anymore and the novelty wore out. I just like hitting things way out yonder with regularity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.