Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Bullet Lube (IL Skunk Lube) >

New Bullet Lube (IL Skunk Lube)

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Bullet Lube (IL Skunk Lube)

Old 09-02-2019, 06:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good grief. I never heard of using skunk fat. Bear fat sure - but skunk. I wonder who the first brave soul was to try it?
Lewis, all I can say is you have bigger gonads than I do to even attempt such a feat!
Old 09-02-2019, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Lotta good meat left over too!

-Jake
Old 09-03-2019, 02:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Lotta good meat left over too!

-Jake
The Cracklings smelled good while rendering down, I Just Couldn’t get hungry enough to take that leap
Old 09-03-2019, 02:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mike Salyards
Hahahaha, Funny as heck! What is the smoke point of the skunk tallow?
I don’t know? I didn’t Smoke any of it End Up Walking Around like this

Old 09-03-2019, 02:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by edmehlig
LOLOL! I need some Red Dye in it, Name it .451 SS Lube (Super Skunk)
Old 09-03-2019, 03:01 AM
Fork Horn

Copied and pasted from Wikipedia

Skunk oil is an oil that is obtained from the two lateral glands that run the length of a Skunk’s back. Skunks store fat in these glands for use during hibernation or semi-hibernation in warmer climates. Skunk oil has minimal odor

Skunk oil was used by the Native Americans as a healing balm or liniment. When rendered from the glands over a low heat, it has the consistency of an SAE 10 motor oil, and the feel of coal oil. When applied to the skin it gives a warming sensation as a mild liniment would. The early explorers and fur buyers, especially in Canada, found that the oil was a very useful addition to their medical kits and paid the natives a premium price for it.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Idaholewis

LOLOL! I need some Red Dye in it, Name it .451 SS Lube (Super Skunk)
I like the name of it! Maybe you should harvest a few more and make a Skunk cap out of them like Davy Crockett. I can just see your label on your Lube with you wearing your Skunk Cap!

Last edited by edmehlig; 09-03-2019 at 03:19 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by edmehlig
I like the name of it! Maybe you should harvest a few more and make a Skunk cap out of them like Davy Crockett. I can just see your label on your Lube with you wearing your Skunk Cap!
I have my limits Ed

I did try this stuff yesterday. I get out to my Spot (Sand Pit) I have my 9MM Muzzleloader (.356 Bore, So 9MM is Actually what it is) Anyway, i get all Setup, I brought EVERYTHING including the Kitchen Sink Or so I Thought. I settle in my Gun to get a view of my Target, NO INSERT in my Globe, and I didn’t bring my little Caddy full of them, So there i was with an OPEN Globe and NO inserts I am 10 Miles from Home, By the time i get loaded back up and Make the Round Trip the Sun will be in my Face. I chose to go ahead and Shoot without an insert (TOUGH to do, at least pin point accuracy) I was able to keep all Shots in the Black. This Skunk Lube is Slick, REALLY Slick Stuff, I have NO DOUBT that it’s gonna Work good. I have messed with Enough Bullet Lubes over the last few years that i have a GOOD Feel for what Works Best, This stuff feels as good as ANY I’ve Tried The 2 Biggest Keys to Accuracy with a good Grease Groove Bullet, at least that i have found in my EXTENSIVE testing is Lube, and Wad Material. A soft, Slick Lube, and 1/8” Wool Felt Just can’t be beat

Might as well put up a Pic of my Rifle (9MM) And Custom Bullet i came up with for it.

Bullets weigh 340 Grains

Last edited by Idaholewis; 09-03-2019 at 04:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:03 AM
Spike

Nice big lube grooves. Is that one of Jims. I have a 500 gr Gov style that he made that puts the Lyman to shame.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mike Salyards
Nice big lube grooves. Is that one of Jims. I have a 500 gr Gov style that he made that puts the Lyman to shame.
This is an ACCURATE Mold. This Was a Horse Before the Cart deal I had a Vision, the Mold was made before the Barrel was done, The Barrel Builder did a GREAT Job on the Barrel and it shoots AWESOME, But the Bore Diameter came in WAY under what i really Wanted. I was hoping for .360-.361 Bore Diameter and Jim felt that is where it would be? But The Bore ended up being about .356.5, I am Shooting These Bullets Sized to .356, When i had the Mold Made i went off a .361 Bore, I can’t remember exactly now? But I believe these Bullets are Dropping from the Mold at .363, I Obviously have to Size them, i am Doing it in 2 Sweeps, .358 First, then .356, Definitely not ideal, But it works just fine. No different than the NUMEROUS .458-.459 Bullets we are Reducing to .450-.451, BUT if i had it to do over, I would have Waited til the Barrel was done, THEN had the Mold made so I could of Been more precise on the Bullet from Mold Diameter, I would have went .358 on his + Tolerance Window (Guaranteed to be at least .358, But could possibly end up .360) This would have been MUCH Better, Less Sizing needed the Better.

Last edited by Idaholewis; 09-04-2019 at 04:14 AM.