Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lehigh Vent Liners >

Lehigh Vent Liners

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lehigh Vent Liners

Old 08-23-2019, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Those gage are only 0.2 times more accurate than the gage set for $30............. even though they are on sale, and there are more of them, are they truly a good buy??

I couldn’t resist Ron. Look at all the 0s in front (I don’t even know how to read that? We need 52bore for that) I am no Pin Gauge Expert but those appear to be HIGH end. That is a GIANT 990 Piece Library set of X Pin Gauges, 240 pounds worth (X being the most precise I believe?) They were $9,642.5, but now are ONLY $8,967.00 So I suppose that’s a Bargain?

All this talk about Pin Gauges, I ordered a Cheap set like Ron posted, EVEN THOUGH my setup above worked just fine, The Pin gauges are no doubt better. Gotta keep up with the Jones’s

Last edited by Idaholewis; 08-23-2019 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, Rick would know.

Seems like one's tongue gets in the way, when trying to say hundred thousandth.

The vent liner are very nice, but for me, the breech plug from Lehigh is absolutely wonderful. For my ultralight they didn't require shimming to provide blow by free ignition. For blow by free ignition, only need measure primers, and use primers 0.302" or longer.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

I got my Pin gauge Set today, These are NICE, and instead of getting close, these get ya Right on! Thanks to Mike, and Ron for mentioning these, and posting Links. At 25 Bucks and Free Shipping they don’t break the Bank to own them

Amazon Amazon

Old 08-27-2019, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Of course i did some Flash Hole measuring Numerous Treso/Ampcos, they measure right on their Advertised .028, I have an Old White Breech Plug for Musket Caps, it is a HUGE .041, This one is JUNK, or a Good Candidate for a Vent Liner Mod

Lehigh Vent liner is .031

My Buffalo Arms Platinum Lined is a Tiny .024

Anyway, The Pin Gauges Work AWESOME! Much Much better than my Old System
Old 08-28-2019, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Lew, it is too bad you purchased the cheap set of gages, instead of the set linked. The set you purchased is cheep, and prone to bending, but you can make do, if you are gentle with them. The linked set would have cost a tad more, but they are a way way better quality.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Idaholewis
I got my Pin gauge Set today, These are NICE, and instead of getting close, these get ya Right on! Thanks to Mike, and Ron for mentioning these, and posting Links. At 25 Bucks and Free Shipping they don’t break the Bank to own them

https://www.amazon.com/MC-0-M-011-06.../dp/B0007Q1PV0

That is a really nice looking set of Pins... If as Ron says they bend easy - well really it shouldn't be that big of a deal - as you are not really trying to force then through anything. I would think they will work fine you. It is not like you are doing something new - just something you have been doing all along but now you probably have a better tool to do it with.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Well Lew, it is too bad you purchased the cheap set of gages, instead of the set linked. The set you purchased is cheep, and prone to bending, but you can make do, if you are gentle with them. The linked set would have cost a tad more, but they are a way way better quality.
I don’t know Ron? These things are pretty durable, these ones get good reviews.

I was WAY harder on this little .024 Pin Gauge here in this Little Video than i will EVER be checking Flash Holes, And No bend

Old 08-28-2019, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

might as well save a few bucks because they were both probably made in the same Chinese sweat shop out of the same materials by the same little old chinaman working for beans in order to buy rice .
Old 08-28-2019, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter

might as well save a few bucks because they were both probably made in the same Chinese sweat shop out of the same materials by the same little old chinaman working for beans in order to buy rice .
!! That was PRECISELY my thought when I purchased these. Unless you step up to the X Grade Meyer’s etc. these Cheap Sets are likely ALL made in the Same place.

Burning a few dollars means NOTHING to me, if Something functions and does the Job that’s all that Matters, If it Doesn’t, i LIGHT IT UP and Move on, Like i did here

Old 08-29-2019, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wife calls me Klutz; apparently she is correct.

The cheep set went away in a garage sale long ago. The linked set is harder, and still usable. The set i use, was purchased on eBay; is made in USA, and is wonderful. Nothing makes me happier than using nice tools.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.