Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lehigh Vent Liners >

Lehigh Vent Liners

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lehigh Vent Liners

Old 08-21-2019, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lehigh Vent Liners

I have got just over 100 shots through my New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist, I have been keeping a close eye on this Lehigh Vent Liner for wear, This 17-4 Stainless Liner has NOT budged! It was right at .030 when i got it, and it has stayed there for over 100 Shots of BIG Lead, and Fairly heavy Powder Charges. As some of you know, BIG Lead, and Big Powder Charges (400 Grain Bullets and Heavier, Pushed by 80 Grains of Powder) Will Tell on a Weak Flash Hole in a HURRY, If the Material is not REALLY Durable it will FAIL quickly under these Conditions. This Lehigh Vent Liner is HANGING ON STRONG!! I will definitely be getting some more of these to keep on hand. Kudos to Lehigh Defense

COPIED AND PASTED FROM LEHIGH

The vent liner is produced from 17-4 stainless through hardened to Rc38 - 48 and then gas carbonitited to achieve a surface hardness of Rc60. This high surface hardness reduces wear from flame erosion extending the useful life of the vent liner. Replacement is recommended when the flash hole erodes to 0.038 or if velocity loss is recognized.We advise a drop of oil, or preferred, a quality lithium or molybdenum disulfide grease be used on the vent liner threads upon installing into the breech plug body. The vent liner fits all Lehigh and Savage MLII breech plugs using removable vent liners.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:10 AM
Spike

Lew, how would you go about measuring the hole diameter ? Mabey a welders tip cleaner, then mic that?
Old 08-22-2019, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mike Salyards
Lew, how would you go about measuring the hole diameter ? Mabey a welders tip cleaner, then mic that?
Yes Sir, Like “Go, No Go Gauges” And then measure them. I use Torch tip Cleaners, and a Teeny Tiny Drill bit set, i can use the Shank end of the Bit. But that is precisely how i do it Between the Tiny Bit set, and This Large Torch Tip cleaner set i have all sizes covered. I can get REALLY Close this way

A Forum member friend sent me the little Drill Bit set and it works AWESOME, Thanks again Willfish

Old 08-22-2019, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Personally, I would say really pass on the Tip cleaners. The last thing you want to but in the flash hole is something abrasive. The welder's tip cleaners are exactly that. they are abrasive and they are a cleaner. In most instances you never have to clean the flash hole in the vent liner with anything solid.

I use actual pin gauges for the size you might need. This link should take you the gauges.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/88909700?cid=ppc-bing-New%20-%20Measuring%20%26%20Inspecting%20-%20PLA_W5ZBZFNY__be_73804768041810_c_&mkwid=W5ZBZF NY#navid=12107889+4288162416

I purchased 0.031 thru 0.035 gauges to cover what I thought I might need. I reality you really might only need the 0.035 - once the flash hole errodes to 0.035 it is time to get a new one.

Lehigh Vent Liners come from the factory with a 0.031+/- flash hole diameter. If you are tracking errosion then you meed the set.

Last edited by sabotloader; 08-22-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Personally, I would say really pass on the Tip cleaners. The last thing you want to but in the flash hole is something abrasive. The welder's tip cleaners are exactly that. they are abrasive and they are a cleaner. In most instances you never have to clean the flash hole in the vent liner with anything solid.

I use actual pin gauges for the size you might need. This link should take you the gauges.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/88909700?cid=ppc-bing-New%20-%20Measuring%20%26%20Inspecting%20-%20PLA_W5ZBZFNY__be_73804768041810_c_&mkwid=W5ZBZF NY#navid=12107889+4288162416

I purchased 0.031 thru 0.035 gauges to cover what I thought I might need. I reality you really might only need the 0.035 - once the flash hole errodes to 0.035 it is time to get a new one.

Lehigh Vent Liners come from the factory with a 0.031+/- flash hole diameter. If you are tracking errosion then you meed the set.
I agree, only a FOOL would use the Abrasive portion inside a Flash Hole, I only use the Tip of these which is NON Abrasive. And with the Tiny Drill Bit Set, Notice i say the “Shank” end? This is Due to that portion being NON Abrasive. No doubt a set of Precision Pin Gauges would be a better choice, But FACT is the method i do above works VERY well
Old 08-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

If I didn’t already have the stuff above on Hand, i would Order the Pin Gauges you posted a link to, that would definitely be a better way to go. Have you Calipered those Pin Gauges to see how accurate they are? With their listed Tolerance, I imagine they are Spot on

Last edited by Idaholewis; 08-22-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default PIn Gage Set

This pin gage set is accurate, easy to use, reliable, durable, inexpensive, and was made specifically for measuring hole size.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Idaholewis
If I didn’t already have the stuff above on Hand, i would Order the Pin Gauges you posted a link to, that would definitely be a better way to go. Have you Calipered those Pin Gauges to see how accurate they are? With their listed Tolerance, I imagine they are Spot on
They say a Tolerance of 0.000200"
Old 08-22-2019, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Here is a nice set of Pin Gauges with much tighter tolerances, these should work STELLAR for Measuring Flash Holes! They are on SALE to boot, a Sore Peter Deal for sure here!

https://store.gaging.com/l4xm-l4xp-m...-to-1-000-quot
Old 08-23-2019, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those gage are only 0.2 times more accurate than the gage set for $30............. even though they are on sale, and there are more of them, are they truly a good buy??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.