Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Custom Bullet (1:20 Knight Mountaineer) >

New Custom Bullet (1:20 Knight Mountaineer)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Custom Bullet (1:20 Knight Mountaineer)

Old 08-24-2019, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I thought the groove diameter of the ML is smaller than the groove dia of centerfire rifles.
If by diameter you mean groove depth , how deep the grooves are , my inlines are pretty much the same as Center Fire . .0035 to .004
my slow twist patch round ball guns are deeper with most being around .006
guess I’m not sure if this is what you are talking about or not .
Old 08-25-2019, 02:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Seems like you guys are only talking centerfires here. Let me try and rephrase this. My .45-70s shoot .458" jacketed bullets or I cast bullets and size them to .451" then paper patch them bringing them up to .457".
Now my .45 cal muzzy I have to size a pure lead bullet to .451". I have sized to .452" and had one heck of a time loading them. My paper patched bullets for my .45 are .449" and just barely contact the lands.
There is no way in the world I would be able to load a .457-.458" bullet in my muzzleloader. If they are both the same, why are different dia bullets used. Why cant you use .458" bullets in a muzzy or vice versa why can't you use .451" bullets in a .45-70? (well you could but your accuracy would really be horrible.)

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-25-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Seems like you guys are only talking centerfires here. Let me try and rephrase this. My .45-70s shoot .458" jacketed bullets or I cast bullets and size them to .451" then paper patch them bringing them up to .457".
Now my .45 cal muzzy I have to size a pure lead bullet to .451". I have sized to .452" and had one heck of a time loading them. My paper patched bullets for my .45 are .449" and just barely contact the lands.
There is no way in the world I would be able to load a .457-.458" bullet in my muzzleloader. If they are both the same, why are different dia bullets used. Why cant you use .458" bullets in a muzzy or vice versa why can't you use .451" bullets in a .45-70? (well you could but your accuracy would really be horrible.)
Cartridge guns typically Shoot Groove Diameter (Precisely What you are doing with your 45-70s) But With Muzzleloaders we Shoot Bore Diameter. But the Bore/Groove Diameter of your Muzzleloader and 45-70 is the Same.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

The Small Red Arrow indicates Bore Diameter (in this case Lets say .451 for the Small Red Arrow) When you go STRAIGHT across such as the Small Red Arrow is Doing in this Photo that is your Bore Diameter.

Now same thing except Groove. The Large Red Arrow indicates Groove Diameter (in this case lets say .458 for the LARGE Red Arrow) When you go STRAIGHT across from Groove to Groove as the Large Red Arrow is Doing that is your Groove Diameter.

Now think about your .45-70 Cartridge Gun with a .458 Bullet in the Cartridge, Obviously that bullet is LARGER than your Bore Diameter of .451 (Small Red Arrow) When you pull the Trigger that .458 Bullet is Already Groove Diameter, Therefore it FILLS the GROOVES (LARGE Red Arrow) The Rifling Engraves the Bullet as it enters

A “Slip Fit” Muzzleloader Bullet on the other hand, such as our Paper Patch Bullets, they Just Touch the Lands/Rifling (Bore Diameter, Small Red Arrow) On the way Down the Bore as you push them down with your Loading Rod til it Stops on the Powder Charge, When you pull the Trigger the Bullet “BUMPS UP” To GROOVE Diameter, filling the Grooves.

Again, The Bore And Groove Diameter of your .45 Cal Muzzleloader and your .45-70 Cartridge Gun is the Same. The difference is in the Bullet size BEFORE Firing, But they both end up doing the Same thing in the end, They Fill the Grooves When Fired
Old 08-25-2019, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

You probably wouldn't be loading .458s into your .45-70 if you had to load them from the pointy end first.

-Jake
Old 08-26-2019, 03:57 AM
Fork Horn

I might be grasping at straws but it seems to me that comparing a breech loader with a muzzleloader is like comparing apples with oranges.
A breechloader has plenty of room in the chamber for loading a .458 Bullet but a muzzleloader where you would have to push that bullet from the muzzle all the way to the breechplug .... well that’s pretty difficult especially if your bore is 451 or 2 and the bullet is .458.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
You probably wouldn't be loading .458s into your .45-70 if you had to load them from the pointy end first.

-Jake
right. Instead of loading the bullet into a brass cartridge try to push it down from the muzzle instead . Probably won’t go far before she is stuck
Old 08-26-2019, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

OK well thanks a bunch guys. Now I understand. I guess even us old dogs can learn new tricks. It also seems reasonable to assume that is why the .45-70 has more felt recoil than a .45 cal muzzy. It takes a lot more pressure to force that bullet down the barrel. Simple physics. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction!
Old 08-27-2019, 11:01 AM
Spike

Well now all very interesting. Much more important...nice shooting Lewis and that's one fine looking bullet! Guess who finally got off the couch and joined the site? ME that's who
Old 08-27-2019, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Harleysboss
Well now all very interesting. Much more important...nice shooting Lewis and that's one fine looking bullet! Guess who finally got off the couch and joined the site? ME that's who
Good to see ya post here my Friend!! You should Start a thread on that little Roller (Rolling Block) you just got done!! I’ll post the Pics for ya, I REALLY liked the looks of that Little Gun

I shall send ya a few of these New Bullets I bet ANYTHING they will shoot good in our 30 Twists as well, I need to Try that SOON, My 1:20 Twist Rice gets all the Love anymore, My Little 1:30 Twist LRH has been AWFULLY Good to me from my VERY Start in Muzzleloading. I need to Take her back out on a HOT Date with this New Bullet and Play Chaperone

Again, GOOD to see ya here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.