Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Custom Bullet (1:20 Knight Mountaineer) >

New Custom Bullet (1:20 Knight Mountaineer)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Custom Bullet (1:20 Knight Mountaineer)

Old 08-21-2019, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Awesome shooting. I would say that Bullet is a winner . Like you , I prefer as close to pure lead as possible for hunting. I painted my gongs today in anticipation of shooting a few of them and see what happens from 100 to 500.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

As usual Lew OUTSTANDING shooting. Yep, I think I would stick with the 90gr load. How was the recoil??
Old 08-21-2019, 02:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sweet Lewis. And nowhere near the recoil of the big 540 grainer.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:50 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Awesome shooting. I would say that Bullet is a winner . Like you , I prefer as close to pure lead as possible for hunting. I painted my gongs today in anticipation of shooting a few of them and see what happens from 100 to 500.

Got a Box of 50 of them done for ya, 18 pounds of Certified Pure Lead went in my 20 Pound Pot, i added 1 Small Lyman ingot of my 1-40 Alloy to help with Fill Out, These Bullets are SOFT! EVERY SINGLE Bullet Weighs 450.5 Grains, So these aren’t Close, they are DEAD ON PERFECT They Measure .452 On the Button, You will probably need to Size them? But then again as soft as these are Maybe you won’t? They might be perfect for a Hunting Bullet in your Ultra Light the way they are? That Bore is pretty tight though. Anyway, you have a Sizer if you end up needing to adjust them

I will send them in this BACO Carton, this way they are individually protected, If you happen to Drop a Bullet use it as a Fouler. Keep them PRISTINE PERFECT This is a VERY VERY CRITICAL Step That gets overlooked, LARGE Percentage of Folks think “It won’t make difference” YES it does!! A dinged Bullet Base will Show on target, Maybe not at 100? But it WILL eventually Show! Why chance that? No need to, Load ONLY perfect Bullets

Last edited by Idaholewis; 08-21-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

what is the actual measured with a caliper or micrometer, as cast,
diameter and length, of the bullet?
is that really .452 like the caliper shows
and do you know what your bore diam, is?
yes it looks darn impressive as is your results,
and you obviously cast a precision bullet,
(also impressive consistency)

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-24-2019 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hardcastonly
what is the actual measured with a caliper or micrometer, as cast, diameter and length, of the bullet?
is that really .452 like the caliper shows
and do you know what your bore diam, is?
yes it looks darn impressive as is your results,
and you obviously cast a precision bullet,
(also impressive consistency)
I had the Bullet made to Drop from the Mold at .453, I ran these Particular Bullets through a .452 Sizer. My reasoning for going with .453 is that my Knight Mountaineer has a .452 Bore, I shoot “Slip Fit” Bullets for Target/Bench, And of course a Snugger Fit for Hunting. I can achieve both with a .453 Diameter Bullet. For hunting, i would load directly from the Mold, For Target i Run them through a .452 Sizer so they just “Kiss” the Rifling on the way down.

I have 3 other .45 Cal Muzzleloaders with .450, to .451 Bores, I can Size this .453 Down to .449-.450 to “Slip Fit” Them, Or Hunt them if i chose to? .449 is what i did with this Bullet yesterday for my Rice 1:20 Twist Sidelock i have in the other thread.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

that makes a lot of sense, I've generally found bore sizes at .458-.459
in the rifles Ive cast bullets for, thats why I was curious
Old 08-24-2019, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

that makes a lot of sense, I've generally found bore sizes at .458-.459
in the rifles Ive cast bullets for, thats why I was curious
You mean Groove Diameter? .450-.452 is the most Common Bore Diameter (Rifling) in Muzzleloaders, With .458 Groove.

Like this

https://www.buffaloarms.com/krieger-...barrel-kri4516

Old 08-24-2019, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

yes! thats why I have generally cast bullets that fill the groove diam. at .459,
and why I find your excellent accuracy with a significantly smaller projectile rather surprising,
but obviously, it works fine in your case,
and yes before you ask, its a p.i.t.a. to ram a full diam bullet down the bore.
but it can be done and accuracy can be maintained doing so,
generally with a precisely indexed false muzzle guide

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-24-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

yes! thats why I have generally cast bullets that fill the groove diam. at .459,
and why I find your excellent accuracy with a significantly smaller projectile rather surprising,
but obviously, it works fine in your case,
and yes before you ask, its a p.i.t.a. to ram a full diam bullet down the bore.
but it can be done and accuracy can be maintained doing so
Soft lead (Most Common in Muzzleloaders) And All the way up to 1-16 Alloy (used by Some BPCR Guys) Will “BUMP” Up and Fill the Grooves upon Firing. I use an 1/8” Thick Wool Felt Over Powder Wad on top of the Powder, Then push my Bullet down on Top of it. In my .45 Cals i prefer an Oversized .50 Cal Diameter Wool Felt Wad, This protects the Bullet Base, and also stops, or Drastically cuts back on Gasses escaping by the Bullet before it “BUMPS” up. Major cause of Barrel leading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.