Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Custom Bullet (1:20 Knight Mountaineer) >

New Custom Bullet (1:20 Knight Mountaineer)

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Custom Bullet (1:20 Knight Mountaineer)

Old 08-19-2019, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Custom Bullet (1:20 Knight Mountaineer)

This is a Custom Bullet i have wanted to have done for awhile now, I geared this one Around my New 1:20 Twist Knight Mountaineer. I just got my new Mold today I have always REALLY Liked my Big Buffalo Arms 540 Grain Elliptical Bullet, from a Mold i bought from BACO, But after shooting my New .45 Cal 1:20 Twist Knight Mountaineer to 600, and even 825 Yards with my 400, and 428 Grain Paper Patch Bullets with STELLAR results, i have come to the Conclusion that I don’t need to take the extra Recoil of the BIG 540 Grain Bullet, I have NO doubt the BIG Bullet would be a Better Choice on down the “Alley”, But FACT is I don’t have places here that i can Shoot any farther than i have been doing, 600, 700, and 800, And out to these Distances my Smaller 428 Grain Paper Patch Bullet SHINES! Even the little BACO .444-400 does AWESOME for me.

It is AMAZING how much more Recoil the Big 530-540 Grain Bullets Generate VS a 400-450 Grain Bullet, I MUCH MUCH Prefer the Lighter Bullets and Less Recoil, I am not Afraid of Recoil in the least, But I’m also NOT a Big fan of a steady diet of it, Especially When I don’t feel there is a Need for it

Here is my new Bullet, and Mold, Typical AWESOME work from Jim of Buffalo Arms, Jim knows how to Cut a HIGH QUALITY Bullet Mold!

I decided to put my BIG BACO 540 Grain Elliptical on a Diet and Shed about 100 Grains, Can’t get any closer than this Here is my BIG Elliptical

And my New one
Old 08-19-2019, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

1. it would definitely be nice to have an elliptical Bullet in the lighter weight for sure. Accuracy I feel is always.better if there is no shoulder . Can hardly wait to see the results as I’m thinking that design might become my go to Bullet if it shoots as well as I think it will. I will have to get a mould like that
Old 08-19-2019, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
  1. it would definitely be nice to have an elliptical Bullet in the lighter weight for sure. Accuracy I feel is always.better if there is no shoulder . Can hardly wait to see the results as I’m thinking that design might become my go to Bullet if it shoots as well as I think it will. I will have to get a mould like that
You will have some of these coming SOON my friend Along With my Paper Patch Stuff, I just know you are gonna LOVE both of these Paper Patch Bullets of mine, they Shoot AWESOME in these 1:20 Twists, all the way out to 800 Yards

But Truth is, i am more excited over this New Elliptical Grease Groove, I love the Simplicity of GG, And the fact that you can Adjust The Fit/resistance to your liking. For my style of Elk Hunting i prefer a Good Snug fitting bullet, one that i NEVER have to 2nd guess if it will Move off the Powder Charge or not? I love my Paper Patch Bullets, But i Really prefer them from my Bench where i am in FULL control, no hurry, and Can Swab my Bore good, Then Dry, etc.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

1874sharpshooter, I will Short Range test (80-90 Yards) these in the morning through my Mountaineer at the little Sand pit up the Rd, if all goes well i will pour up a BUNCH of these tomorrow evening and Get some on the way to ya. The Mold was Just Starting to Pour REALLY Good when i Quit, They Settle in and get better after a Few Casting Sessions. I REALLY Like this Bullet, a BUNCH!

Last edited by Idaholewis; 08-19-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

They look good Lewis. Can't wait to see a range report on them. You're going to make me scrape up the remaining mad money I have and get myself a Mountaineer.
I think I may just have to start selling some stuff off. Let's see what can I sell? Oh yeah - A good woman that can really cook with a yellow lab that eats everything, including furniture. Both are spoiled rotten! Will send pics of Lab. LOL

(PS: its obvious she did not or will not read this)
Old 08-20-2019, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Idaholewis
1874sharpshooter, I will Short Range test (80-90 Yards) these in the morning through my Mountaineer at the little Sand pit up the Rd, if all goes well i will pour up a BUNCH of these tomorrow evening and Get some on the way to ya. The Mold was Just Starting to Pour REALLY Good when i Quit, They Settle in and get better after a Few Casting Sessions. I REALLY Like this Bullet, a BUNCH!

thanks. I can hardly wait to try them out. I drew an antelope tag and might see if the wife wants to try them on her cow elk hunt . And the gongs definitely need shot with a few
Old 08-20-2019, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

I was hoping to shoot these today, But we had WAY to Many other things going on. I have the Mountaineer Ready to Go, Tomorrow at Daylight it is! Hopefully the Weather holds out, looks like a chance for Rain? I plan on Shooting 3 Groups, 70, 80, and 90 Grains of Swiss 2F

If i get Rained out, i shall pour Bullets
Old 08-21-2019, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Idaholewis
If i get Rained out, i shall pour Bullets
That's what I do when I get rained out. Open the garage door for ventilation and set up my table and cast away. I probably have more bullets than I'll ever shoot. But its a good pass time. Or I just may reload cartridges for my, dare I say it, centerfire rifles!!
Old 08-21-2019, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
That's what I do when I get rained out. Open the garage door for ventilation and set up my table and cast away. I probably have more bullets than I'll ever shoot. But its a good pass time. Or I just may reload cartridges for my, dare I say it, centerfire rifles!!
You’re lucky you don’t get banned for typing that word!
Old 08-21-2019, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Results are in, I am very pleased with my new Bullet! When poured of Pure Lead, or there VERY Close they Weigh in at 449-449.5, The 440 Grain Bullet Above is the Bullet that BACO Jim poured after he Cut the Mold, He does that with EVERY Mold, Wraps that bullet up in a little Ziplock Bag and Staples it inside the Mold Box, This Proves what the Mold is capable of. All of BACO’S Cast Bullets are of 1-20 Alloy. I think 1-20 is AWESOME stuff for Target, I have had VERY GOOD Luck with it, Much Better than Pure Lead on Target, and Long Range. But i am not Comfortable with 1-20 Alloy on Deer Size Game, i prefer a Softer lead Bullet, about 6-7 BHN is about as perfect as it gets in my opinion. I don’t feel 1-20 Alloy would Open Enough on Deer Size Game? There is a HIGH possibility it would Poke a Caliber size Hole Straight through? But i do believe there is a Good reason the Serious BPCR Competition Guy’s SWEAR by 1-20, even 1-16 Alloy in Competition, It wins!!

I shot 80 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder first, 3 Shots were just under 1” About 3/4” I forgot and covered the Group with Target Pasters Before i took a picture. I then Shot 70 Grains of Powder, the first 2 Shots were Cutting eachother and the 3rd shot i Threw Out Somehow? I feel confident it was my error, I will re do this another day. Last i shot 5 Shots of 90 Grains Swiss 2F, 4 Shots Wallowed out the same Hole , Then i BLOW It with the 5th Shot, Go figure 90 Grains will probably be where i stay with this Bullet/Rifle Combo

No need for Video, You guy’s have seen plenty of that, Plus these White Targets Don’t show Holes on Video very well.

My Gun, to target on Sand hill, This is as FAR as i can Stretch here, I was able to get all the way Back this Morning, this is gotta be Close to 100, a Solid 90 Yards anyway.

Here is the 70 Grains of Powder Group, and the 80 I had covered with White Pasters.

And the 90 Grain 5 Shot Group, This was a Good one, except for my “Flyer”

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.