Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
428 Cobra Jets “Ready for Takeoff” >

428 Cobra Jets “Ready for Takeoff”

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

428 Cobra Jets “Ready for Takeoff”

Old 07-19-2019, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default 428 Cobra Jets “Ready for Takeoff”

I got my Custom BACO Paper Patch Mold out this morning (The 428 Cobra Jet ) and poured some fresh ones up to try, Since my New Mountaineer did so well with the 400s, I have NO Doubt it will do as well with these .428s, My 1:20 Twist Rice Sidelock Barrel did EXCEPTIONALLY Well with these Bullets

My Mold, I talked Mr Dave Gullo in to letting Jim Cut this Mold For me, Good Guys!!

These are a Cupped Base design, Notice how Crisp, and SHARP the bullet bases are? You want that!! For TIP TOP Accuracy, Except NOTHING But PERFECT, SHARP Bullet Bases!!

Ready for TAKEOFF
Old 07-19-2019, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those look awesome
Old 07-20-2019, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice looking bullet Lewis. What temperature do you begin to pour at. Do you ladle fill or bottom pour. Another thing I noticed is absolutely no spue mark!
Old 07-20-2019, 09:41 AM
Spike

Very nice Lewis! Can you show us the bottom of the mold? I'm just curious how it opens up to shake it out.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mike Salyards
Very nice Lewis! Can you show us the bottom of the mold? I'm just curious how it opens up to shake it out.
Here we go Mike, I stil Haven’t cleaned it up from Casting the other day. I have a love/hate Relationship with this Bullet Mold, I love the Bullets it Pours, one of my VERY Favorites! But this Thing CAN be a MISERABLE Pain to Cast with, By far the Trickiest Mold i own to Cast with, This thing would Discourage a Beginner in a Hurry! I have spent as much as 2 Hrs with this thing before I finally Got it “Dialed in” And Casting Perfect for me. Everything is EXTREMELY tight tolerance, If you make a Mistake and Get lead smear inside the Mold, You are gonna Spend some Quality time getting it out. This is EXACTLY what happened to me the other Day, I got the Mold GOOD N HOT, I accidentally Dumped a Bullet before it was “Set up” I had to Completely Strip the Mold down 2 Different Times to Get lead Smear out, ROYAL PAIN in the - - -!! I would NEVER Recommend a Nose Pour Mold like this one to a Beginning Caster.

The key with using a Mold like this, is using it on a Regular Basis, If i were to use it Regularly, i would Learn it, and it would Stay in my head! The problem with me is I don’t use it that often, By the time i get ready to use it again i have Forgotten the little “Quirks” with it that had I learned with it the time before. That’s just Part of having a 30-40 Bullet molds and trying to remember each ones “Quirks” I need to Write myself a Note and put it in this Particular Mold Storage Box. As you can see, I can Cast a FLAWLESS Bullet with it, But it takes me Longer than ANY of my Other Molds!
Old 07-20-2019, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Nice looking bullet Lewis. What temperature do you begin to pour at. Do you ladle fill or bottom pour. Another thing I noticed is absolutely no spue mark!
Bronk, I use a Lee 4-20 Bottom Pour Pot that i have Modified the Spout to Dump faster (Spout hole Drilled 3/32”) Without the Modification, These Bottom Pour Pots Don’t Dump Enough Lead, Fast Enough to Fill these Big 400 Plus Grain Muzzleloader Bullets before they Start to Cool. I like to Run my Lead/Alloy at 750-800 Degrees. I Actually have a Casting Video on my YouTube Channel, it’s on the Long Side, But it Shows How i do This

This Particular Mold is a Nose Pour, So the Sprue would be the Tiny Nose Meplat. These Bullets came out FLAWLESS, But if you read my Post above to Mike, They didn’t come easy this Time, Me and This Mold Argue a LOT And it is one of the Most Expensive Molds i own, Right at 200 Bucks But the Bullets This Thing Casts is 1 of my ABSOLUTE Favorites
Old 07-21-2019, 08:49 PM
Spike

Default Casting the hollow base.

I'll bet those are a bugger to get used to. I'm guessing the bullet separates from the mold sides and has a tendency to stick to the base? I preheat my molds on a hot plate and I can see where that button may be hard to keep hot . Jims molds are some of the best I've used even over the expensive Paul Jones mold that I have. .Do you use a wad stack of any kind behind your PPB's?
Old 07-24-2019, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

I'll bet those are a bugger to get used to. I'm guessing the bullet separates from the mold sides and has a tendency to stick to the base? I preheat my molds on a hot plate and I can see where that button may be hard to keep hot . Jims molds are some of the best I've used even over the expensive Paul Jones mold that I have. .Do you use a wad stack of any kind behind your PPB's?
It does do that! (Bases Sticking to the Cup Base Pin) But That part isn’t really a big deal, A light peck on the Mold Handle Nut and they Drop nicely. The biggest thing with this Mold is Getting it up to Casting Temp without getting ANY lead inside the Mold Halves, It just doesn’t work like my other molds when it comes to “Cornering” them in the Lead/Alloy to bring them up to Temp Quickly, You can’t really get away with “Cornering” this Particular mold in the Lead/Alloy due to that Bar underneath it, Where it works FLAWLESS with ALL of my other Molds. If you get Lead in that Bar it is a NUISANCE to get back out, and of course it messes with opening/closing. This Particular Mold should NEVER be Dunked in the Lead/Alloy

A Hot Plate is something i have contemplated doing for a LONG time for pre heating my Molds, Are you using some kind of a Flat plate on top of it? Not just Resting on the Element? I imagine Medium Heat is Probably all that is needed huh? Explain your Setup Mike, i am DEFINITELY interested in it!!

BACO Jim does AWESOME Work, His Molds are 2nd to none in Quality, Jim is a Super good guy to Boot! I see Him in BACO quite often.

We should get together sometime Mike, Go fling some Lead projectiles from these Smokers, We only live like 30-45 mins or so from eachother you think?

Lewis
Old 07-25-2019, 09:01 PM
Spike

Default My casting set up.

I started out with the Wagge pot on the right ladle casting. Then a good friend was getting out of it sold me the RCBS bottom pour on the left with about 1000 plus lbs of pure lead and a bunch of tin all for almost nothing. Then a guy on SGT wanted something I had and gave me the Lyman ladle casting pot. So I use the bottom pour to cast my hard cast 16/1 pistol bullets . I use the Lyman to cast pure lead and the Wagge to cast my 30/1 hunting bullets . I use the hot plate direct as it has a solid plate on it. Around $20.00 at Wal-Mart. I used to set the mold on the edge of the pot as it heated up but the hot plate is a lot nicer. If you want to stop in the middle of a casting session just set it down and you come back to a still hot mold.
Attached Thumbnails -img_0003.jpg  
Old 07-26-2019, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

I started out with the Wagge pot on the right ladle casting. Then a good friend was getting out of it sold me the RCBS bottom pour on the left with about 1000 plus lbs of pure lead and a bunch of tin all for almost nothing. Then a guy on SGT wanted something I had and gave me the Lyman ladle casting pot. So I use the bottom pour to cast my hard cast 16/1 pistol bullets . I use the Lyman to cast pure lead and the Wagge to cast my 30/1 hunting bullets . I use the hot plate direct as it has a solid plate on it. Around $20.00 at Wal-Mart. I used to set the mold on the edge of the pot as it heated up but the hot plate is a lot nicer. If you want to stop in the middle of a casting session just set it down and you come back to a still hot mold.
That is a SLICK Setup Mike I will be getting me a Hot Plate quick as i get back over to Wally World.

I have 2 Ladles, a Lyman, and a Rowell 1 lb Bottom pour Ladle. I just couldn’t get a Rhythm with Ladle Casting, i tried it a Few times and got Frustrated with it! I got good bullets 1 time, then Junk, I poured a Whole Batch (50 or so bullets) They were ALL over the Board for Weight, I threw them Back in the Melt Pot, Tossed my Ladles on a Bench and NEVER looked back at them!! As anyone can See by looking at my Bullets, I can pour VERY HIGH Quality Bullets with my Bottom Pour, and i can do so REALLY FAST. Fast wasn’t my objective, Quality was! But i found that Quality and Speed go Hand N Hand with a Bottom Pour Pot, Once you get them Figured out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.