Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Headspacing a Knight Breech Plug >

Headspacing a Knight Breech Plug

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Headspacing a Knight Breech Plug

Old 02-02-2020, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its not a Knight issue either. The same problem plagues CVA, Traditions and T/C. Ive seen pictures of CVAs that looked they had not been cleaned in a year from just 10-12 shots. Westerns solution was to include o-rings with their plugs. You cant really use those very well on a bolt gun.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Its not a Knight issue either. The same problem plagues CVA, Traditions and T/C. Ive seen pictures of CVAs that looked they had not been cleaned in a year from just 10-12 shots. Westerns solution was to include o-rings with their plugs. You cant really use those very well on a bolt gun.
I’m sure Knight is NOT the only one with Primer, Headspacing issues. I spoke of Knight SIMPLY because that is where my “Hands on” Experience is/was. I have never handled ANY of the other Brands? Therefore I cannot speak of them.

I have NOTHING but good to Say about Knight Rifles, I had Great Luck with my Knight Mountaineer, The few times i called the Knight Company, they Answered the Phone, were Kind/Courteous in Answering any Questions i had? I HIGHLY advise their Rifles to ANYONE looking for a Nice Production Inline Rifle. I have helped sell MANY of them!!
Old 02-03-2020, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

My post should have said
Its not just a Knight issue either
Rifles that are new out of the box clean shooting are rare by comparison. T/C's Omega was one of the few you could tighten the falling block assembly and possibly tighten the head space a little. Knights and other bolt actions you are stuck shimming or having a custom plug made if you want to use a 209 primer. A few get lucky and a Win209 works fine.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
My post should have said

Rifles that are new out of the box clean shooting are rare by comparison. T/C's Omega was one of the few you could tighten the falling block assembly and possibly tighten the head space a little. Knights and other bolt actions you are stuck shimming or having a custom plug made if you want to use a 209 primer. A few get lucky and a Win209 works fine.
How was your New Knight Mountaineer .45/1:20 Twist Barrel assembly for Headspacing?

The Lehigh Plug is a MUST, VERY High Quality Breech Plug, The Plug itself Should Last the Life of the Rifle If Properly Cared for. The Lehigh Vent Liners seem to LAST N LAST Which is AWESOME! After all of the Shooting i did with my Mountaineer, BIG HEAVY Lead, and Reasonably Stout Charges of Swiss Real Blackpowder (Recipe For Eroding Flash Channels) My Vent Liner flash channel showed ZERO wear, it was Literally like Brand New the Last time i Shot it. I can’t speak Highly enough of the Lehigh Plug, and Their Vent Liners, They are TOP SHELF!! When Properly Headspaced in a Knight Mountaineer, Or an Ultra Light, As Good as it gets in my Opinion for Factory, Current Production inline Rifles

Headspacing these Plugs is NOT a Big Deal, in fact it is Extremely Simple to do, Hopefully Threads like this Help educate Folks on Doing it, the importance of it, and how easy it actually is to do.

Last edited by Idaholewis; 02-03-2020 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mine was too tight if i used an Elite bolt. Crush (.007+) was too tight with a Win209. Using a Mountaineer bare primer bolt its not bad with the Lehigh plug. A tiny bit sticky with a few primers until i polished the primer pocket for a minute. I do that to all plugs though. I dont think its going to need a shim atm. Maybe a .003 at most if it does. Primers fired without powder come out clean. Even the Feds came out pretty clean but im betting they will stick a little with powder. Not stick in the plug but stick in the bolt if head space is a little off. I ran into that with the Super DISC 45. Not all the time but often enough it was very annoying.

My Bestill plug with a .006 crush on a Win209 seems to work ok with a Fed209A also. I asked him to make it just a little tight for a Win209. Then i can use both as long as i sort out the overly long Wins.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 02-03-2020 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:11 AM
Fork Horn

Looking Back, I had this “Over Crush” Sticky Extraction Problem (Due to Various Primer Lengths) in my Knight Mountaineer when i made the 600 Yard Gong Video. I didn’t realize what was happening right then? I thought it was Dirty? But it wasn’t, it was due to a Larger .300-.301 Primer. As stated above, My Win 209 Primers Varied in Length from the Same Boxes, .296 to .301, The .300 and .301s Would Get Sticky Extracting

after the 1st, or 2nd Shot you hear me Say Something about “Sticky Extraction” here in the Video, and i wasn’t sure if I would be able to Carry on and Shoot anymore? It was after THIS Shoot that i measured, and Sorted ALL of my Primers.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

My plan is to setup the "tight plug/bolt" combination for a Rem STS primer. I just need to either find mine or go get more and buy another Lehigh plug to modify. Only place that has the Rem STS though is a drive so im waiting till they get some Speers 260s in stock. The Rem STS primer is as hot as a Win209 but its MUCH shorter. Its also more consitent in length from what some people claim. I got some im sure but ive just been too lazy to dig them out. I prefer the Lehigh NFPJ adapter over the bare primer bolt for hunting. Its easier to load without any tool.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 02-06-2020 at 09:36 AM.