HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Steam Cleaning Power (Blackpowder Crud) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/421261-steam-cleaning-power-blackpowder-crud.html)

Idaholewis 07-11-2019 04:40 PM

Steam Cleaning Power (Blackpowder Crud)

I’m telling you guy’s, These Little Hand held steam Cleaners are AMAZING at Cleaning Blackpowder Gunk. I started this Fad not long after i got in to Muzzleloading, i was over at Buffalo Arms and Noticed a Pedersoli Steam cleaner (700 or more Dollar unit!!) I was talking to a guy about it, he said “Get a Little hand held unit” Steam is Steam! The Pedersoli is just Fancy, and EXPENSIVE! You can Buy these little Steam Cleaners on Amazon for 25-35 Bucks, Believe me they are WELL worth it!

1 note of caution that I warned a few years ago with Steam Cleaners, If you steam through the Breech end (Nipple hole) of a Sidelock Muzzleloader and you Shoot “Slip Fit” Paper Patch Bullets, Your First Shot (Clean Cold Bore) will end up in another County! After that 1st AWOL shot, Your Rifle will Settle back in where it always was. It made NO SENSE then, and Stil Doesn’t today? But it’s a Fact that it happens!

This Breech Plug was NASTY, Took My Little Steam Cleaner about 30 Seconds, maybe 1 minute To get this Breech plug, and Vent liner back to Brand new looking again, When i am done Steam Cleaning a Breech Plug, nipple, etc. It literally would pass for Brand new unfired, Even the Flash Hole, i can literally force steam through the Tiny .028 Flash hole and clean it back to New. These Little Steam Cleaners work AMAZING!

Zoomed in and cropped from above photo, Breech plug and Vent liner is literally like brand new again :cool2:

bronko22000 07-11-2019 05:15 PM

Sweet...I could tell my wife I'm getting it for her. But I'll keep it down in my gun room!

Idaholewis 07-11-2019 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4358039)
Sweet...I could tell my wife I'm getting it for her. But I'll keep it down in my gun room!

LOL!! You wouldn’t believe all of the little odds n ends uses you can use 1 of these little steam cleaners on, They are a HANDY little Tool! It is hard to beat the Cleaning Power of Steam, It peels Blackpowder Crud off TOUGH things like Breech plugs, and Nipples in Seconds. I use mine for my Locks, my Hammers, Nipples, Breech plugs, If you can think it? You can probably steam clean it :cool2:

idahoron 07-11-2019 09:07 PM

I used mine to steam clean Jacobs deer head.

Bocajnala 07-11-2019 10:09 PM

Nice buck!

-Jake

Idaholewis 07-12-2019 02:36 AM

Ron, You sure did a nice job on your Jacob’s Buck! That is one of the more unique Steam cleaner Cleansing's I’ve heard of :happy0157: But like i said Above, if you can think it, you can probably Steam clean it! Which reminds me, I’ve got a another Skunk in a Trap as i type this, that is 2 of them in 3 nights. Maybe i can steam clean him, after his Baptism?

idahoron 07-12-2019 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by 54bore (Post 4358049)
Ron, You sure did a nice job on your Jacob’s Buck! That is one of the more unique Steam cleaner Cleansing's I’ve heard of :happy0157: But like i said Above, if you can think it, you can probably Steam clean it! Which reminds me, I’ve got a another Skunk in a Trap as i type this, that is 2 of them in 3 nights. Maybe i can steam clean him, after his Baptism?

I had a skunk come through a few weeks ago. I am lucky knock on wood, it didn't stick around.

idahoron 07-12-2019 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4358048)
Nice buck!

-Jake

Thanks, I had hunted for 8 days of the 9 day season, I saw only one buck. So I told Jacob he should take a doe since hunting was pretty tough. We went to where a doe was hanging out and this buck came out. It was a 175 yard shot and he was looking through the brush right at us. He shot him in the neck below the chin. That blood spot on his neck was where the bullet hit.