Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
1st Scoped outing with New 1:20 Mountaineer >

1st Scoped outing with New 1:20 Mountaineer

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1st Scoped outing with New 1:20 Mountaineer

Old 07-11-2019, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default 1st Scoped outing with New 1:20 Mountaineer

I couldn’t resist, had to go Shoot this thing this morning since the Scope was mounted and Ready. I got the Scope REALLY close in 4 Shots (I would say it was 2 ft or so off Target with my First shot) After getting it REALLY Close i shot a 3 Shot Group with the Parker 275s, and Followed that Group with another 3 Shot Group of Ed’s Lyman Gould’s. ZERO load development here Folks, i picked 80 Grains of Swiss 2F, .50 Cal 1/8” Wool Felt Wads and Went with it! No question, This Rifle shoots!! Now it’s time to “Nail Down” a few Loads in it. I will get some Longer Range Gong stuff coming up Soon

The 3 circled shots are the Parker 275s, My first 2 shots were looking really good, When i loaded the 3rd and final shot it was tight? Very noticeably tighter than the other 2 for whatever reason? These Bullets were given to me to try, I didn’t Size them, They measured .452 and that is precisely what this Bore is, But the tighter bullet was a tad over .452, Anyway it went Left maybe an inch? Enuf to Ruin my Group
After the Parkers i went Straight in to another 3 Shot Group, This time was Edmehlig’s Lead Conical, The Lyman Gould HP Bullet, 2 of them made the same hole, And the other about a 1/2” away.

A little video clip, basically showing ya what i just told ya
Old 07-11-2019, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm finding that even with an adjustable sizing die, there's always that one bullet that going to load differently. Doug fixes that by sizing them loose, knurling them, then runs them through a different (2nd) sizing die to fit.
That rifle's a shooter...
Old 07-11-2019, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

She shoots great!!!!!
Old 07-12-2019, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by idahoron View Post
She shoots great!!!!!

These Sealed Breech Knights like this Mountaineer, And Ultra Lite are UNREAL Ron! This Mountaineer is nicer than ANY Centerfire i own, NO JOKE! And Cleaning these things? There’s nothing to it!! (Try and say that for the Open, Plunger Style guns like the MKs, Bighorn’s, etc. if using Real Blackpowder, or Pyrodex, They get Pig Poop NASTY!) These Sealed Breech Rifles will Spoil ya!! These things are EXTREMELY Modern

I stil Love my Old Sidelocks, No way I’d ever give up on them, it’s a fact They Shoot just as well as these upper end inlines. I actually prefer the Renegade/Hawken Set triggers over anything! For Target/Bench Shooting a Trigger makes, or Breaks a Rifle, No matter how fancy the Gun is, if the Trigger is Stiff/Harsh it is Useless to me until it’s fixed.. Everytime i grab 1 of my Old Renegades, or Hawken’s and i Pull the Trigger, i am blown away by the Set triggers, All of mine measure in the Mid, to high ounces, Pretty Darn amazing!!
Old 07-13-2019, 12:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sweet...I assume that's at 100 yards. You guys are killing me with these Knights. You keep tempting me and I'm gonna have to go get one!