Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New .45 Cal 1:20 Twist Mountaineer >

New .45 Cal 1:20 Twist Mountaineer

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New .45 Cal 1:20 Twist Mountaineer

Old 07-09-2019, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default New .45 Cal 1:20 Twist Mountaineer

Maiden Voyage this morning with my New Mountaineer What an AWESOME handling Rifle! Today was just to Burn 10-12 Shots through it to “Set” the Bore Coat stuff (i wanted to shoot this thing, Scope or not! ) All i can say is if it Shoots as good as it looks, and Feels I will be a VERY HAPPY Camper!!

The Rifle, She’s a thing of Beauty!

The Murphy’s Precision 20 MOA Base i went with, Guy does NICE work!! They are spendy, But VERY High Quality!

The New Lehigh Breech plug and Vent liner, I shimmed (Primer headspaced) This New Plug per Sabotloader’s Recommendations, It was easy to do, and it works REALLY Well! This is after 11 Shots and Cleaned

And my Spent Primers, CLEAN! I had ZERO problems with Primers Sticking, They came right out as they are supposed to

Old 07-09-2019, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Glad you finally got it. You will love it for sure . I think you will be impressed as you shoot further and further. That gun will really outshine others when you get beyond 300 yards
Old 07-09-2019, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

That rifle is a work of ART! Good Luck with it Lew and looking forward to seeing how she shoots. Maybe one day when the stars are aligned and my ship comes in I'll buy the Ultra Lite. GRIN
Old 07-09-2019, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're going to like that rifle. Lots of expensive bullets can be had for shooting it.

When I watched the video, nice by the way, I believe you mentioned that you were shooting the Parker Match Hunter bullets? Just a suggestion...……. I personally know a guy that has been testing for Bob, both the Match Hunter and the Black Max. The Black Max for hunting from what I understand would be the bullet to use with the lower velocities that BH produces. It will not just pencil through an animal. The latest results from testing and many rounds of both the MH and the BM indicate their accuracy is identical, so one is not loosing one thing for another. Both bullets flights and accuracy are identical at ELR also 1,000yds+.

You'll find a difference of opinion depending on who you talk to about wads. Some prefer wool, while many others prefer veggie. I personally use a veggie in my new custom.

Which height did you purchase with the Mark4 rings, .840" or the 1"???
I have the 1" on my custom, using a 50mm Nightforce. I have .300" clearance using a 15moa mount.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

A fine looking rifle right there!!

-Jake
Old 07-09-2019, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
You're going to like that rifle. Lots of expensive bullets can be had for shooting it.

When I watched the video, nice by the way, I believe you mentioned that you were shooting the Parker Match Hunter bullets? Just a suggestion...……. I personally know a guy that has been testing for Bob, both the Match Hunter and the Black Max. The Black Max for hunting from what I understand would be the bullet to use with the lower velocities that BH produces. It will not just pencil through an animal. The latest results from testing and many rounds of both the MH and the BM indicate their accuracy is identical, so one is not loosing one thing for another. Both bullets flights and accuracy are identical at ELR also 1,000yds+.

You'll find a difference of opinion depending on who you talk to about wads. Some prefer wool, while many others prefer veggie. I personally use a veggie in my new custom.

I have the 1" on my custom, using a 50mm Nightforce. I have .300" clearance using a 15moa mount.
I actually shot in the Dark on this and Went Medium which is .840, My Scope Obj is 50MM as well, I will know tomorrow when the Brown Truck gets here with the Scope, and Rings. This Murphy’s Base stands fairly Tall, All i can do is Cross my fingers that everything Works, if not i will have to send the Rings back and exchange. I like to keep my Scope as low as Possible, But i was also noticing today from my Cheek Weld on this Thumbhole Stock that i can go a little Higher than Normal. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow

They make the Mark 4 Rings in Both Aluminum and Steel, I always go Steel Everything. I have always been a BIG fan Of Leupold Mark 4 Stuff. I have tested it several times over the years, and most recently with my .308, Pull the Scope from The Base (Rings left attached to the Scope) Put it back on the Base, Torque back to 65 inch pounds, I go right back Zero EVERYTIME, Good Stuff! Same thing Nightforce’s was doing in their Torture Test Video
Old 07-10-2019, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict

My Mark 4 Mediums Worked out perfect, I’ve got a Country mile of clearance here This is exactly what i was hoping for.

I will get better pictures soon, But you can see my clearance here. I will end up Needing Med/Highs for a 40 MOA Base, And not sure that Leupold even Offers a Med/High in these 30MM Steel Mark 4s? If not, i will get a set of Highs. It might not look it here, but even the Supplied Scope covers fit over this objective end, Just clears without touching, Again, EXACTLY what i wanted/Hoped for when i went with the Mediums, it’s a DARN good thing they didn’t have Lows or I would have went with them, and obviously would of been sending them Back. Now to go Burn some powder!

Rifle is Kanted to the Right in this Cheap Little Cleaning Cradle due to the Thumbhole Stock, But you get the Picture
Old 07-10-2019, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 54bore

My Mark 4 Mediums Worked out perfect, I’ve got a Country mile of clearance here This is exactly what i was hoping for.

I will get better pictures soon, But you can see my clearance here. I will end up Needing Med/Highs for a 40 MOA Base, And not sure that Leupold even Offers a Med/High in these 30MM Steel Mark 4s? If not, i will get a set of Highs. It might not look it here, but even the Supplied Scope covers fit over this objective end, Just clears without touching, Again, EXACTLY what i wanted/Hoped for when i went with the Mediums, it’s a DARN good thing they didn’t have Lows or I would have went with them, and obviously would of been sending them Back. Now to go Burn some powder!

Rifle is Kanted to the Right in this Cheap Little Cleaning Cradle due to the Thumbhole Stock, But you get the Picture
That is a great looking outfit! Yup, that scope mounting looks great. I don't think Leupold makes a med/high Mark4 ring. I'm fairly certain its either .840 or 1". I think...… I could get away with the .840 rings and have enough room. I'd like my scope just a smidgen closer to the barrel than the .300" it is now. However sometimes we have to settle.
The Mark4 rings are the strongest Leupold makes and have worked out great for my rifle/s.
Will be waiting for some target photos from that great rig.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

A little better pic of it, I got the Crosshairs Bug Nutz on, Using the Plumb line method. It’s raining here, or i would be out with this thing

Old 07-10-2019, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

George, These Medium Rings measure .830-.840 from where they Sit on the Base to the top of the Ring half, i measured them to make sure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.