HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Knight ULITE Cleaned - New Part Added (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/421230-knight-ulite-cleaned-new-part-added.html)

sabotloader 07-05-2019 03:05 PM

Knight ULITE Cleaned - New Part Added

I shot this rifle yesterday out in the Rock Pit - got it cleaned up today added a new part. I replaced the TC #11 Nipple with the new Lehigh #11 made from S7 steel.

Now I have a really good reason to go out and shoot another range session. I really need to test the nipple... Just gotta find the time and the temperature...

bronko22000 07-06-2019 04:32 AM

Sabotloader I know Knight makes accurate muzzies and I'd likely buy one. But I just can't seem to comprehend why they can't get away from that bolt system and its the only thing holding me back. IMO that knob in the back that you have to rotate out to put the bolt into fire position seems so archaic. It seems like they've done it like that since they first began making inlines. I would much prefer a bolt with a bolt face that encompasses the ignition system (either 209 primer or #11 cap) and a spring loaded hammer (similar to a Rem 700).
There is no doubt in my mind that as a general rule their muzzies are accurate.

BarnesAddict 07-06-2019 07:29 AM

There's another to get rid of

Bocajnala 07-06-2019 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict (Post 4357776)
There's another to get rid of

They've been rid-ed

sabotloader 07-07-2019 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4357774)
Sabotloader I know Knight makes accurate muzzies and I'd likely buy one. But I just can't seem to comprehend why they can't get away from that bolt system and its the only thing holding me back. IMO that knob in the back that you have to rotate out to put the bolt into fire position seems so archaic.

Personally and for myself only I really like the bolt rifle versus the falling hammer percussion type inlines or break opens.

The knob on the back of the bolt... I think you are talking about the Secondary Safety, The Secondary Safety is/has never been a problem for me but I totally understand its operation. 99% of the time the Secondary Safety is turned all the way out 'Tight'. The only time it is 'turned in' is to release the hammer/firing pin assembly so it can be turned out of the bolt handle assembly. I very seldom, and I do mean seldom. 'turn it in' to act as a Secondary Safety. The original intention was to prevent accidental ignition in situations that the rifle might be set off accidentally. For all of my hunting I rely on the primary trigger safety.

It seems like they've done it like that since they first began making inlines. I would much prefer a bolt with a bolt face that encompasses the ignition system (either 209 primer or #11 cap) and a spring loaded hammer (similar to a Rem 700).
In the case of the #11 ignition, the bolt can not legally encompass the cap i9n the Western application. The cap must be visible in the 'ready to fire' position. In this picture you can see the bolt is closed 'almost' all the way around the #11 nipple - but again according the State Rules - 'the cap must be visible in the ready to fire' position.

With the 209 and the bolt close it is completely encompassed by the bolt shield and the breech of the rifle. Bolt closed over and around the 209 primer in the 'ready to fire' position

There is no doubt in my mind that as a general rule their muzzies are accurate.
Hope this all makes sense - I am not always the best at explaining things in writing....

bronko22000 07-08-2019 04:24 AM

Well then they did change things some I guess. I can't really tell from that angle on the bottom pic with the 209 ignition but I can't see the red band on the "secondary safety" as if it were opened all the way to allow for the hammer/bolt pin to hit the primer.
What model Knight is that one with the 209 ignition? The Ultralite, Mountaineer or?